Advice on a 356 Potential purchase

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
William Whited
356 Fan
Tag: Cars are my Vice

Re: Advice on a 356 Potential purchase

#16 Post by William Whited »

Car sold on BAT 12/2021 for 67000. Plus fee You can find the auction easy enough if you want to read the comments on the car

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#17 Post by Adam Wright »

William Whited wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:09 pm Car sold on BAT 12/2021 for 67000. Plus fee You can find the auction easy enough if you want to read the comments on the car
I can't see how a car could jump $20,000 in a year. The AC system is like putting a pool in at your house, expensive but taste specific, so you don't get a dollar for dollar increase in value to the car, which it sounds like this guy is doing. He paid the highest retail, BAT, and then spent money on the car, and is trying to be made whole. He will need to hold the car for a few more years to get that back, if even then.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

William Whited
356 Fan

#18 Post by William Whited »

Yes I thought the same thing. When you have any antique car you will put money into it. If you hold the car long enough you may get your money back. I’m sure like most sellers they look at Hagerty for a guide and BAT and other auctions and see transaction prices, but every car is different.
Thanks for calming me down Adam,
Bill

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#19 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Assuming you are whiterock you were very smart to leave alone the recent Bali Blue Sunroof in my opinion. As I mentioned in that thread the Ruby Red C in Wisconsin appeared to be a much better car which didn't sell so is probably still out there looking for a new owner. Pay attention to what Jim Liberty said above. I always tell my Newbies to buy the best body that they can afford. You might also, unless you increase your price point, be open to less than desired colors. Well known to TheRegistry is Sebastian Gaeta. He owns a Ruby Red Coupe and a Signal Red Cabriolet and mentioned to me that he didn't even like red much! 20 year old paint on a solid body wouldn't concern me. I would prefer it to a fresh paint job which can hide a lot. Since I am cheap I recommend a ROW heating system and NO sunroof. Both are costly and hard to find parts and someome to service them.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Chris Duerr
356 Fan

#20 Post by Chris Duerr »

Bill. Glad to have spent some time with you. Finding the right car is a tough process. I couldn't afford or justify what these stupid cars are fetching these days. I still look at project cars as 3k dollar tubs. Those days are looooooong gone. Best of luck in your quest.
Chris

Al Zim
356 Fan

#21 Post by Al Zim »

Decide what you want to do with the car! HIRE someone to assist you in purchasing a car AN EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL. Whatever you pay them will save you 10 fold. Service and Repairing 356/ 912 will become more difficult as older shops finally retire. Plan on over $120, 000 for a good car. NO CONVERTIBLES NEVER ANY 540 SERIES VEHCLES. ZIM
While Mr. Wright believes that finding the correct car is a hobby with patience. I contend that this is investing (which is what you are doing) requires diligence to be successful. I.E. your result will be an asset. I will attest to you that most of the people in this endeavor lack automotive mechanical experience and the tools (wrench, screwdriver, standards and micrometers to correctly measure such critical dimensions at the big end of the connecting rod or the fit of the main bearings in the case.) My points will be clearly shown by watching Garage activities on You Tube. Zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

William Whited
356 Fan

#22 Post by William Whited »

I really appreciate all the feed back on my quest.
I agree if I find the right one after my 356 inexperienced inspection on my own first than hire a professional, I’m realizing now with finding the right car as Adam said it’s a hobby with patience. Also I’m afraid Al is correct to find a good one at least body wise and matching numbers your talking over 6 figures. if I have to move in that direction I may have to sell my 67 L79 Goodwood green coupe which is a hard decision.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#23 Post by Wes Bender »

I think your search will be easier if you decide that whatever you buy will probably be some sort of compromise. Then, using the advice previously posted, determine just what things you are willing to compromise.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#24 Post by Doug McDonnell »

+1 to what Wes said. Reality now is every car is high priced not just 356s. But many will come down. I am not sure that 356s will if numbers matching. Most of us "Oldsters" on here never really considered selling our cars for more than we paid for them. I was happy when I sold my 1st one for what I had paid for it 7 years before, 7 happy years of driving my dream car. And I only sold it because I found an SC that I could afford. Those days and attitudes are gone forever. Adam is perfectly happy driving his Roadster with the old corrugated metal KIt floor. I know someone close to me who really enjoys his C Coupe even though the floor is aluminum reinforced. If one wants a 356 to drive there are nice drivers out there for well under 100K but one will have to accept some deficiencies from a #2 car. A members car was just listed on BAT and I could pick it apart for several reasons but I know that the owner doesn't expect 6 figures. And it is a nice driving 356C that is numbers matching. I did dream of someday having a 356 that was as nice as when they left the factory so as my retirement project I took a solid North Carolina C with door bottom rust and other issues and spent time and money redoing everything-a labor of love for me. The late Richard Shillings C Coupe just sold and while it has "issues" as a retired Porsche Mechanic he kept it in fine mechanical condition. The current owner loves it. You can still get a very fun to drive 356C for the money you are willing to pay William but not a near perfect one. OK That is my expansion of Wes's comment.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Adam Wright »

Bottom line, no matter what you pay for a 356, if you hold it for 5 years you will not be underwater on it. So if you're worried about paying too much, just don't plan on selling it for awhile. And like Doug said, I can't see my floors when I'm driving, nor can I see the non-matching motor. Another note about my car, I hate red on 356's, but I liked the car, so I drove it for years and then painted it the color I wanted.
Attachments
000.jpg
00.jpg
0.jpg
356gas22.jpg
road22me.jpg
road22.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#26 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Interesting that you hate red 356s. You and Sebastian, who has a Ruby c Coupe and a Signal Red Cabriolet, must have somewhat similar tastes. He admitted to me that red is not his favorite color once. While I won't say that I hate red, the Outlaw winter project red 356C that I had may not have been sold if it was still its original Dolphin Grey/Blue. This fall I had the chance to very closely inspect Roy Garrisons Signal Red SC and I must say I would own that car even though it is red.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#27 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:30 am Interesting that you hate red 356s. You and Sebastian, who has a Ruby c Coupe and a Signal Red Cabriolet, must have somewhat similar tastes. He admitted to me that red is not his favorite color once. While I won't say that I hate red, the Outlaw winter project red 356C that I had may not have been sold if it was still its original Dolphin Grey/Blue. This fall I had the chance to very closely inspect Roy Garrisons Signal Red SC and I must say I would own that car even though it is red.
It's not just me, a red 356 is the hardest to sell. All you guys painted them all re-sale red in the 80s, but now people want the period colors, give me a blue or a green, I can sell it twice as fast as a red car.
Case in point, you see three red cars in this pic. Original colors are Meissen Blue, Fjord Green, and Bahama Yellow, but it was the 80's, EVERYTHING RED!!!!
Attachments
redalwaysred.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#28 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes and deals can be made on those red cars. One of my Newbies just bought a red C from you and is very happy. It was according to your old ad owned by an elderly couple. And I make sure that all of my Newbies read the taillights column "Much ado about matching" by Ray Morgan Volume 42 #3 page 74
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#29 Post by Bruce Smith »

I generally never was a fan of red either. But, for me, Ruby Red is an exception. This is a photo on my Ruby Red '63 coupe the day I bought it (at the previous owner's place). I've loved this color red ever since.
Attachments
356B 1963.jpg
Last edited by Bruce Smith on Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Smith

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#30 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Also not a fan of red but that’s what I wound up with - I like projects and they were (356 IS still a project) RED / all good!
01E42C93-E920-4BD7-884D-ED03330E7575.jpeg
62DC7AA2-81A9-4BC4-B651-9DA8CEA236EC.jpeg
99C49FC7-E890-4EC4-9E50-0A9CFAB40C77.jpeg
Author / Photojournalist