356 Carburetor Rescue announcement

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Jim Kaufmann
356 Fan

356 Carburetor Rescue announcement

#1 Post by Jim Kaufmann »

Greetings 356'ers and Porsche faithful,

Here at 356 Carburetor Rescue we have been restoring so many carbs for so many years the crew is getting tired. Counting full restorations and throttle body work it's close to 3,000 pair completed since starting the company. Even after all those we've done, the community's response to our work is still flooding the shop with orders and not slowing down. The youngest working here is 66 years old and have not found anyone younger to get involved to eventually take over.

Starting Jan 1st, we are cutting back the work hours each week to 3 days only. There're already enough customer carbs in the shop to take us into next year. So, if anyone is thinking of having their carbs restored by 356CR and getting them back by springtime next year better send them in soon. We try to get carbs out the door in the order received, if you send in late, they absolutely won't be done by springtime. Next year expect our lead times to get customer carbs returned extend from the normal 2 months to possibly 4-6 months or longer.

Want to thank all in the Porsche community for the tremendous response to 356CR and let you know we'll be around a while longer but can't predict how much longer in these changing times. Crew and I are slowing down, getting older and needing more personal time. Thanks again for all your support.

Jim Kaufmann
60 356B Roadster
79 911 SC
2015 Cayenne

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: 356 Carburetor Rescue announcement

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim, you should of had a bunch of kids, they love carbs!
Attachments
avamaxshop.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

Jim and Candice and the gang, that's the price you pay for doing such high quality work. Hopefully, you will eventually find some younger blood that will have the same dedication and desire as you do. You are not alone in the search. Times have changed. Thankfully, you are continuing, albeit at a somewhat slower pace. Enjoy your days off. You have all earned them.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Aronson
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Aronson »

I am sure your have contacted the local high schools and community colleges. They might have a method of having an internship program than might lead to a continuation of your service to our community.
Just thinking, if I were younger I would be keen on such an opportunity. And, thanks to your good work, my 356 is dependable again.
61 Karmann Notchback 200831
67 Karman 912 461567
74 911 Targa (3.0 SC motor)
83 911SC (Concours award winner, still)
95 993
09 Carrera S
69 Triumph TR6, 2004 BMW K1200GT, 2012 R1200RT, 2013 MOTO GUZI V7 RACER
64 VW coupe
Vacaville Ca.

Scott McAdams
356 Fan

#5 Post by Scott McAdams »

Jim - I completely understand the position you find yourself in. Taking more time off for yourself, and the rest of the crew is the right thing to do for sure. I’ve lost too many family and friends in the last year - it makes an impression on you. I also will extend my thanks to you, Candice and the crew for the work on my Solex’s. Best money I’ve ever spent on the Tub - it actually holds an idle speed now !
356B S90 Roadster, '60 (gone)
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Hi Jim & Candace

Time is the scarcest commodity - your plan is a good one! Like the spokes in a wheel life/work balance is really important especially as we enter the 4th quarter of life.

My Zenith’s are so amazing since you overhauled them / like night & day difference!

Thanks for your service and obvious love about the quality that goes into the work you & your team do!
Author / Photojournalist

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bruce Smith »

The number of hours put into correctly restoring a pair of Zenith or Solex carburetors is a lot more than many folks imagine. Good that you're taking more time for yourself, Jim.
Bruce Smith

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#8 Post by Paul Lima »

Hello Jim and Candace, I'm very happy to hear you're adjusting business to get more time to yourselves. You've more than earned it. We, your customers, greatly appreciate the outstanding work you do to help keep our cars running well. Thanks again. And, we will adjust to your new business hours.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

It’s not surprising as you guys are among the nicest most helpful people, but it was extremely polite of you to tell us your plans. Enjoy!!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Kaufmann
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jim Kaufmann »

Thank you for the kind comments and suggestions!

Had some calls and emails from clients recently about my post. It doesn't mean we are closing shop. We are only going to work 3 days a week, it's the only way that my crew will be satisfied with continuing the cleaning, machining, assembly, testing, packing and billing of carbs. Made the post so the community will not be expecting 356 Carburetor Rescue to be on call as much as we have been in the past and a heads up of our intentions next year. If you will need a set done, please contact us, as we will still be restoring carbs, just a slower pace with longer lead times for the return of your carbs. Our exchange program will continue as long as our inventory of finished stock remains.

356CR will be around a while longer, how long, don't know. Would be great for someone younger to eventually take this business over. Unfortunately, that person has not appeared, would take a while for them to learn the trade and time is moving quickly these days. Who knows, maybe it will still happen.

Jim Kaufmann

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#11 Post by Mark Roth »

Jim,

I hear you. Our generation grew up with these cars and we had to learn mechanical skills in order to maintain our cars. Subsequent generations have been fortunate to have grown up not even knowing what a grease rack is or having to check the oil as there is now no dipstick. That said, there are folks who have mechanical interests and might be interested in taking over your business.

Would a prospective successor have to apprentice at your shop for a long time? Have you thought about maybe a one week crash course where a talented prospective buyer could fly in and learn the business? I don’t have anyone in mind, but as a Trustee, I feel that part of our responsibility is to think ahead and prepare for the generational change. It’s coming, ready or not.

In the March/April 2020 issue Jim Johnston reports that the results of a 2019 membership survey indicated that 70% of our members were over 65 and 88% were over 55. Our cars are now more expensive and are becoming owned by younger folks who most likely will not be doing their own mechanical work. We need to prepare.
E681DB2B-6C77-4EEF-BF5D-FDF4DC65584E.png
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Jeff Fadley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jeff Fadley »

Jim -
To say that the 356 community hasn't benefited tremendously from you and your crew would obviously be an understatement. I learned a great deal from listening to you and have enjoyed the benefit of your work on my carbs.

Your legacy is, and will continue to be, "They were done by 356 Carb Rescue". That they were done right was confirmed by that statement.

Jeff
'64 C Coupe - Signal Red (Dad's from 1974)
'65 C Coupe - Ruby Red

Brian Davies
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brian Davies »

Thank you CR for helping me years ago when I needed something as simple as a couple of screws for a leaking accelerator pump cover on my Solexes. Thanks to you, I was able to stop a fuel leak that could have possibly destroyed my whole car! I'm sure I could have found some similar screws and made it work, but thanks to your team, I have the real deal so it is the right shape and with the right patina. :) Along with the screws, you gave me some free advice for rebuilding/fixing up my carbs which was much appreciated.

Still going strong 10+ years later!

B