engine won't turn over

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: engine won't turn over

#16 Post by Martin Benade »

On the other hand I feel like the muffler is a great place to grab on to while removing or installing an engine, easy to reach and gives good leverage.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Al Zim
356 Fan

#17 Post by Al Zim »

Carefully examine pictures of engines stored in the room adjacent to the assembly hall. This will be eye opening. I personally like the muffler that has straight tail pipes since they make it easier to locate the engine properly. Most people do not like where the pipes come out on these mufflers.
THE IMPORTANT PART IS? How do you know the engine is good. One intake valve is always going to be open allowing air and whatever is in the air into that cylinder. If RUST is present it has already been scraped into the crankcase. The screen and magnet will not catch all the material that is scraped AND the oil filter is a bypass filter with a 1MM opening that allow oil to flow through the filter. 3% of the oil is processed during any given time. If you can get the engine to turn over easily by hand by placing a wrench on the generator nut squirt some oil down the cylinders and with a fully charged battery see if it will turn over.
Will it run probably not. The carburetors are resting as is the fuel pump. With an eye dropper place some gas in each carburetor venturi and see what happens. If you have no results, I think it would be prudent to remove the sheet metal on the engine to access the connecting rod big end. You can remove the rods to examine the condition of the bearings and check the size of the big end of the rods. The cylinder bores, valve, valve guides and springs also need a close examination. This examination will be time consuming but it inevitable can save you a bundle of money! Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
one starter problem that is showing up besides the bushing wear is the contacts in the solenoid not conducting enough amps. A good rebuild should have either the solenoid replaced or the contacts serviced to ensure proper operation.
j

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jules Dielen »

Do a load check on the battery too. It may have an inferior cell and the higher compression in the SC may prevent it from cranking. Just charged it would still show 12v +, but with a load it would drop instantly and lose a lot of amps
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dave Whittick »

- Ensure good ground at the transmission strap
- Try turning over the engine by hand with a wrench on the crank pulley. If it doesn't spin, I'd question the alignment of the pilot shaft into the clutch or the clutch itself. Maybe something bound up. Correct flywheel?
- Check voltage at battery connection on the starter when the engine is cranking
- check voltage at the connection to ignition on the solenoid while cranking
- Remove all 4 spark plugs to see if it turns over easily
- Run through the valve to make sure they're set correctly

Should give you clues to diagnose the problem

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#21 Post by Gary Cox »

Lacking some helpful details here. Is the starter motor working? Is your car 6V or converted to 12V, is your new A engine 6V or 12V? We assume your new engine flywheel is compatible with your starter?
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#22 Post by Brian R Adams »

Al Zim wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:13 am The carburetors are resting ...
I know just how they feel.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

David Trower
356 Fan

#23 Post by David Trower »

I have squirted oil into the cylinders with no satisfaction. No sense in turning ir over with 36mm socket as I know it turns over. I haven't checked ground strap, will do. I will probably put the SC engine in and see what happens. Thank you to every one who have made suggestions. David

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#24 Post by Wes Bender »

When the A engine is out and before you put the other engine back in, count the teeth on each of the flywheels. Just a shot in the dark...... or maybe even a WAG.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Chris Duerr
356 Fan

#25 Post by Chris Duerr »

Make sure cylinders are not full of petrol

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#26 Post by Dick Weiss »

So many times I see the words "squirt some oil in the cylinders". This doesn't really do anything if the engine
is in its horizontal position and just about a 1/2" to 1" wide will be @ the bottom of the cylinders. No help.
Unfortunately, during engine assembly, the engine should be turned 90 degrees (on the stand) either way and
adding a little oil to the rings including the cylinder walls before adding them to the pistons.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#27 Post by Al Zim »

TODAY: I feel like being realistic unfortunately this analysis is not gong to please you! Take it out of the car and take it apart. I believe that you have a WORN OUT engine. The downside of you attempts to start the engine COULD result in something sizing or breaking in the engine. This can easily turn the remnants into a situation where they have NO VALUE. Plan on a full engine overhaul and make sure you have the case line bored at Ollies, The deck height set and have all the internal parts magnafluxed for cracks. Have a competent machine shop do all your measurements most individuals do not equipment to do so. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#28 Post by Martin Benade »

I believe it’s a fresh engine that just won’t start.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Al Zim
356 Fan

#29 Post by Al Zim »

Reread your posts> A) he has removed an engine that would start when it was in the car B) The engine has been in storage for some period of time. C) one intake or exhaust valve will be open to the atmosphere unless the rocker is removed on the depressed valve.
Assuming that it is a fresh engine....Then it needs to come apart and be correctly repaired
Assuming that it is a stored engine...Then it needs to come apart and be correctly repaired. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#30 Post by Martin Benade »

I am pretty sure the stored engine was fine and not in storage for very long.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna