Best battery for 1956 coupe..

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

Re: Best battery for 1956 coupe..

#16 Post by Tom Wavrin »

I installed a 6V Optima in my ‘56 T1 ‘European’ coupe and it fit in the original battery box space using the metal battery box cover.
I did trim off the bottom foot tab on each side usining an appropriate dremmel grinding tool. I also insulated the space between the battery posts/clamps and the metal cover to prevent the possibility of shorts.
The fit is tight.
I was told there is only one US manufacturer of 19L batteries left (East Penn) and sold under Deka, Duracell and maybe other labels. $190 + exchange last I looked.
I’ve used a couple of different battery maintainers and found the Deltran Battery Tender brand to be the only one that didn’t overcharge a wet cell battery and typically get 8-10 years service using the Battery Tender. I install the pigtail to the battery and leave the hood unlocked for better air circulation while on the maintainer. Easy to use plug connector is included with the Battery Tender.
Tractor batteries in 6V are taller than 19L, have higher CCA’s and are less expensive. I don’t know how well they fit using original battery covers.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT