Sticking Door Latch

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wayne Arny
356 Fan

Re: Sticking Door Latch

#61 Post by Wayne Arny »

Hugo: Here are my thoughts.

The lock was completely assembled when you tested it and had difficulty to turn it to the locked position, was the grub screw in place ? (Yes. Completely assembled, but without the grub screw.)

Does the locking tab move freely in the slot ? mine were bent and had to straighten and sand those. (Yes, it does!)

Check if there is some interference between the cylinder lock an the cylinder lock receiver. Check for scratches on the lock cylinder. (I'll do this. I think, as someone said in our thread, that there is a combo of an original tumbler, or at least one that's made properly, and a repro handle.)

Check if the lock cylinder is bottoming out inside the cylinder lock receiver, see if there are burrs inside. (The lock cylinder IS bottoming out inside the receiver. I see no burrs.(

File or sand the inside ridges. (This is where I'm headed next! Tedious filing!!! :) )

No expert here, just had to solve some problems with repro locks. Had to buy a complete kit ,ignition switch and door locks, my car had three different keys. (What a pain!!!)

Thanks, again! Wayne

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#62 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Yes, there is a mix of original and repro parts.

Other solution would be to buy used original parts and combine those with your parts to have a functional assembly.

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#63 Post by Wayne Arny »

Do you mean like find a good, original handle?

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#64 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Yes, there are some in ebay, at a swap meet, used parts lot (call unobtainum Adam Wright might have some).

https://www.aasesales.com/products/g1g- ... ea49&_ss=r
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0
Last edited by Hugo Karasawa on Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#65 Post by Wayne Arny »

I found a nice looking set on the Registry Classifieds and have sent a note to the offeror! We'll see! Thanks!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#66 Post by Mike Wilson »

Just make sure they are original and stamped with a K number. The pics don't show that.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#67 Post by Wayne Arny »

I've asked that question to the seller already! Thanks!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#68 Post by Mike Wilson »

👍

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#69 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

An original handle will solve one of the problems.
The other problem is the cylinder lock receiver and or cylinder lock.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#70 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hopefully those are original as well.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#71 Post by Rick Albro »

The above discussion is really good. There are two things in my experience that still have not been mentioned... First remove the cylinder and the sliding lock tab (?) Check the fit of the bottom of the cylinder with the hole in the tab. You should be able to rotate the tab all the way around the end of the cylinder when both pieces are out and independent. If the tab slide piece has been replaced this usually needs some fitting. The second thing to do is to use a sharpie and color the entire cylinder with the pen. Assemble the cylinder into the receiver or button and try moving the parts... if the parts are rubbing they will produce a clean spot where the parts are rubbing... clearly one needs to do this for each set of parts that can move against each other.
After sending parts out for plating I always need to fit every part together using the sharpie technique... When you put together parts from different handles each part should be mated with the counterpart. Just getting original parts does not guarantee the parts will fit together especially on door handle locks... you are better off with original parts but the proof is in the function...

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#72 Post by Mike Wilson »

Very good points and advice, Rick. Every part should operate smoothly. After chroming, I've also had to file the groove in the receiver the lock plate slides through.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#73 Post by Rick Albro »

An image to clarify my above comments... and yes Mike is right that after plating every pieces that has an edge needs to be checked and or fitted/filed/sanded... The sliding lock tab in my image required considerable "fitting". New replacement tabs usually need some work to make the operation smooth. I am pretty sure that I have suggested that Mike should write up an article on newer door handles... this thread has a very good discussion as do several previous threads. Maybe Wayne would be be compelled to write up his final experiences?
orientation notes.jpg

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#74 Post by Wayne Arny »

I found a set of door handles in the Registry Classifieds, and I picked them up from the Post Office this morning. Thanks to Ian, and a trip to Virginia Beach, VA, last Thursday, we've had six days of no sun and rain/wind/drizzle. The arrival of the handles is the first "ray of sunshine" we've had in almost a week! I'll work on them end of this week and on the weekend and report the outcome! Thanks! Wayne

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#75 Post by Wayne Arny »

Thank you, everyone! The door handle/latch is back in and working like a champ! It did help to "recycle" an original handle. The lock mechanism fit much better, and the seal inside the handle went in relatively easy without having to soak it in hot water! Now I will "renovate" the driver's side with the "new" matching handle, and it'll all be complete!

Thank you, again, for everyone's pictures and guidance. I couldn't have done it without that, and there's nothing like it in any manuals I've seen so far!

Best regards! Wayne