Remove/ install torsion bars front suspension

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Bart Elsen
356 Fan

Remove/ install torsion bars front suspension

#1 Post by Bart Elsen »

Hello

I am about to remove my front torsion bars.
I already checked the outer needle bearings, and they seem to be still the original ones (so double row needles in one bearing -> if you have to replace them you have to use 2 bearings because these older versions are no longer available).

Visually the OEM bearings still look ok to me; should I replace them or re-use them?

Then how to remove the torsion bars; just remove the center bolts and remove them and they can slide out? Or do I have to pay attention to other points.

Did already a search here on the web but did not found much info regarding removing or installing the torsion bars....

So all tips are welcome ;-)

Grts
Bart

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Remove/ install torsion bars front suspension

#2 Post by David Jones »

Loosen the lock nuts on both sides and then the allen head grub screw, it's easier to loosen before removal of arm from car. Retighten the grub screw on one side and remove it from the other side along with the center one and withdraw the torsion bar. Be ready to place it where you won't cover everything with grease.
Make note of where the center adjustment block is before removal.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Al Zim
356 Fan

#3 Post by Al Zim »

Starting from the inside you should thoroughly clean the tubes The reason the grease is brown is because it has dirt (AKA grinding material) in it! Replace the plastic bushings in the center of the tube they are available from Stoddard new. CAREFULLY LOOK AT YOUR TRAILING ARMS (4) if there are grooves on the bearing surface the trailing arm is bent. You can further check them with a P70. Tolerance are tight. The steering arm and spindle can be checked with the P69. Bent steering arm does not allow the wheels to properly track! The 256A can check to see if the axle tube is correct. This is a VW tool so more existed in the all the VW dealers for the millions of the link pin front end cars. Finally you will need a VW259 that checks the offset of the link pin carrier. Instead of using the plastic bushings to space the King pin make one out of brass. The shims for the king pin length no longer exist in a variety of sizes. They will need to be made. Vic has modified link pin shims by grinding away the outside. their thin thickness will give you proper preload. You MAY need to have the C carrier (holds the king pin bushings) repaired for smoother operation of the front end. If you have a 1965 car it is 58 years old (based on model roll out) and things do wear out. zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#4 Post by Jim Wayman »

If you are going to check the torsion bar tubes with the VW256a, you will also need 2 P71 tools to make the VW tool fit in the Porsche torsion tubes.
Jim Wayman

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Bart Please watch this youtube video by Tom Perazzo one of our members: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO5HXnG ... =3&t=1188s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKOrsoS ... AH&index=6
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#6 Post by Jim Clement »

They are easy to remove, just start the process and it will become apparent..
I did mine when I did the full resto, including various sand blasting , media blasting.. then had to start cleaning, yieks, there is a lot of dirty grease in those tubes..
but as said above, now is the time to do the full clean up..
My original bearings were shot on one side, so shot, I replaced them with the new two bearing version, and it works just fine..