Windshield washer pump check valve

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jim Wayman
Registry President

Windshield washer pump check valve

#1 Post by Jim Wayman »

Has anyone ever messed with windshield washer pumps? Both the Pre A and later pumps have a check valve like the one shown. It appears to have a ball in it that must allow passage thru the valve one way only. I have some of the valves that are missing the ball. (they are not the ones that are designed with no valve). The barrel of the check valve has an internal thread, which indicates that there might be a threaded part that traps the ball. Can anyone shed light on this?
Attachments
IMG_5124 (2).JPG
Jim Wayman

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Windshield washer pump check valve

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Just that the valve causes the rubber dome to suck fluid only from the reservoir as it pops back up, and it keeps the squirter lines from draining between uses.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#3 Post by Jim Wayman »

I understand the check valve's function. What I am interested in is its construction, so that I can repair the valves I have that are missing parts.
Jim Wayman

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Albro »

Jim,
A long story with many people involved resulting in making a small run of pre A washer pumps and their related parts...
20200925_111717.jpg
Valves 1.jpg
On pre A pumps there are several different version of the valves... The springs and the check balls are readily available... in refurbishing an existing valves assembly be sure to check and or clean the ball seat... if you need help contact me...
washer pumps.jpg
20201116_090517.jpg
20201217_170409[1].jpg
finished pumps.jpg

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rick Albro »

a few more images... the first images shows the difference in valves... other related sundries and trivia...
valves.jpg
nuts!.jpg
I hate to try to list people because I am sure to leave someone off the list... some people who were key in this project were James Davis, David McPherson, Curt Dansby, Edwin Schweitzer and others...

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#6 Post by James Davies »

Jim Wayman wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:28 pm Has anyone ever messed with windshield washer pumps?
Clearly Rick has! :D :wink:

Btw Rick, a new data point - the barrel shaped pump housings did come with the threaded plunger rod with the "W" knob in ~Aug 1953. So slightly different from the early 1953 ones with the aluminum knob and set screw, and different again from the early 1954 cylinder-shaped bodies with the "W" knob. Good fun. We will have to do some modifications to mine. Data from Jeroen.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#7 Post by Joris Koning »

Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe