Stork Oil Temp Repair

For Pre A discussions and questions
David Green
356 Fan

Stork Oil Temp Repair

#1 Post by David Green »

My ’53 has the original Stork capillary tube oil temp gauge that I had repaired by North Hollywood a few years ago. They found the leak and recharged it with ether as I recall as the original gas is toxic. With ether it was no longer accurate to the gauge markings but was easy to calibrate with a dip stick temp gauge. It recently stopped working and needs a repair and recharge.

Any suggestions on repair shops? North Hollywood can do it (again), Palo Alto can’t and I’m waiting to speak with MO-MA in New Mexico next week.

Regards to all,
David

JohnLiles
356 Fan

Re: Stork Oil Temp Repair

#2 Post by JohnLiles »

Hi David , my Stork gauge has stopped working now ! It was working fine for the last 5 years and its hard to see why it stopped , no obvious damage .

Did you have any success finding a repair shop ?
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

David Green
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Green »

I spoke with Joey at Mo-Ma Manufacturing in Albuquerque, NM today and he can repair these gauges and recharge with ether. His current turn around time is 3-4 week.
... now the task is to remove it in one piece!

https://momamanufacturing.com

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#4 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I repaired the temp gage on my 1965 BMW a long time ago after the line wore through. That gage, and I suspect the early Porsche gages, act on ether vapor pressure not liquid expansion. That means you don't need the bulb full you only need enough ether in it to supply vapor. I repaired mine by submerging the leak in ether while heating the bulb in hot water. Then keeping the leak submerged, I cooled the bulb in ice water. That drew enough liquid ether into the bulb. Then I soldered up the leak. Air in the system doesn't seem to affect the function as the ether vapor pressure dominates. That simple procedure was a permanent fix. You could, of course put the whole gage under a bell jar and hold it under vacuum for a day or so while it outgasses before sucking the ether in but I didn't have to go to that extreme.

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#5 Post by JohnLiles »

Hi Harlan , how did you trace the leak in your system ?
In the case of the early 356 , the front gauge is a long way from the expansion bulb , so hard to access the entirety of the system unless you have removed it all , so I guess the start point is to remove it all which means breaking joints . Once you have it out I guess there is no ether left as it vaporises quite quickly at room temperature , even in the North of England !
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

I don’t think there are any serviceable joints, all is soldered. You have to take the whole thing out in one piece.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#7 Post by Harlan Halsey »

In my case the leak place was obvious. And removal from the BMW 1800 was easy. I think you are right that detecting the leak in a 356 after all the ether has leaked out will require ingenuity.