1958 356A Coupe - What to Do?

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Mark Pustka
356 Fan

1958 356A Coupe - What to Do?

#1 Post by Mark Pustka »

In 1968 my Dad bought a '58, 356A Coupe. He drove until '73 or '74 when he had engine trouble and it sat in the garage for years. He worked on pieces of it trying to get it back running but died a few years back with the car spread all over New Braunfels where my Mom is. I live in Austin. My brothers and I would like to get it running again but aren't sure where to start.

I'm on the Outlaw Forum because I'm not overly concerned with everything being perfect. Honestly I'd just like to get it back on the road, and drive-able. Not sure where to start with the project, but I don't have a fortune to spend and don't know much about cars in general although I've been reading about 356'. I've heard Bob and Kathy Jones at Autowerks in San Antonio are great at rebuilds but I'm open to going other routes. I'm in Austin and if there were someone here that could help with the project that's even better than San Antonio.

Anyway I'm hoping you guys can give me some ideas of who to talk to, what you'd suggest or recommend and how to go about getting started. I've taken photos of part of the engine and the body. The transmission is in a shop in New Braunfels that I have access to. Any help is greatly appreciated. Its an emotional thing for my brothers and I. We'd really like to get it running but as I mentioned aren't sure where to start. Mark
Attachments
Engine View 1
Engine View 1
IMG_5977.JPG (3.2 MiB) Viewed 3383 times
Engine View 2
Engine View 2
IMG_5975.JPG (3.95 MiB) Viewed 3383 times
Engine View 3
Engine View 3
IMG_5974.JPG (2.99 MiB) Viewed 3383 times
Engine View 4
Engine View 4
IMG_5973.JPG (3.6 MiB) Viewed 3383 times
1958 356A Coupe Body Photo 1
1958 356A Coupe Body Photo 1
IMG_1488.JPEG (3.67 MiB) Viewed 3383 times
1958 356A Coupe Body Photo 2
1958 356A Coupe Body Photo 2
IMG_1487.JPEG (4.63 MiB) Viewed 3383 times
1958 356A Coupe Body Photo 3
1958 356A Coupe Body Photo 3
IMG_1486.JPEG (4.6 MiB) Viewed 3383 times

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: 1958 356A Coupe - What to Do?

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Mark welcome.

I have done much worse. You need some space to work on it, about a car and a half space in a garage or building. Then some spare time and a basket full of money. I would gather it all up in one place, do an inventory and see what you have to start with. Its going to be a couple years and depending how you are tooled up and your skill set, its not all that hard. A couple hours a day and the weekends and your kids college fund. When you are finished it will not be disappointing.

First thing is to get it all in one place and inspect it to see what needs replacing. Al Zim in Dallas and the other vendors have all the parts for both the body, mechanical and the engine. Plenty of advice and help available. There are a couple other 356 web sites to refer to, and the TAN list in the links. Factory 356A parts manual and service manual are a good investment at this point in the project. You can make you own jigs and fixtures. Send me a PM I am more than willing to help you figure it out.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#3 Post by Tom Coughlin »

If you think you can tackle an engine rebuild, there are books and videotapes down by "The Maestro" Harry Pellow (RIP) that can be very helpful. The unibody construction of the 356 means that the floors and surrounds are the chassis. Inspect the floors and all the components they connect to for rust. Surface rust can often be treated with rust reformer and painted but rot-thru rust requires metal replacement.
If you don't have rot-thru rust, you will need to re-do the engine, transmission and brakes to get it driving with the body as it exists.
I've seen cars in similar original condition back on the road, one with clear-coat paint over the surface rust and old paint on the body. I expect that if you do get it driving like that, the 356 folks you meet will greet you with open arms and love your wonderful old road warrior. Go for it.
 KTF, member #15

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

With a project that size I would not start with 'getting it running' as there is not much there to run with. As said above, do an inventory, see what is missing and get an idea what it would cost to put the body together into something that could potentially be drivable (looking at the pics, that might already be a hefty price tag). Some of the bolt on stuff is fun and DIY, they are pretty straightforward cars. Find the brakes and suspension parts. once you have that sorted you can figure out what to do with the engine. You may find a running replacement to stuff in it (often much cheaper than a full rebuild) just to run around with.

Starting with rebuilding the engine when you have nothing to put it in is the horse behind the carriage. The body stuff may take a very long time and by then all the engine seals are dried up and everything is stuck so you can redo half the work.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#5 Post by Spike Jones »

Hi Mark,
The "Texas Hill Country Rallye" will be held March 10-13.2022 at the YO Ranch Hotel in Kerrville. Only air-cooled Porsches are allowed. There are always a number of 356's
of a variety of model years and degree of restoration. This would be an opportunity for you to meet folks who know a lot about restoring Porsches, including a number from the Austin area, and who love to talk about Porsches! A good time is around 4-6 pm when everyone is returning from the daily drives and are hanging around the parking lot.
Look me up and I will try to introduce you to some folks who may be of help to you. Google "Texas Hill Country Rallye" for info.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

Jules comments are spot on. I have seen many projects where the engine was the made the focus at first and then at the end it gats done again. I know of one that took 20 years from engine build to needing the engine. Everybody has good intentions then life gets in the way for way more years than anticipated.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Mark are you still with us?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jules Dielen »

Martin Benade wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:52 pm Mark are you still with us?
I hope we did not scare him.... A coupes are worth the effort. (all 356s are :) )
Jules

John Brooks
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Brooks »

All

I have been emailing and texting with Mark. He is developing a action plan. He has bought the factory manuals and is in the process of inventorying the car to see what he has. Next is building a dolly and bringing it home. It's going to be saved.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jules Dielen »

John Brooks wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:18 pm All

I have been emailing and texting with Mark. He is developing a action plan. He has bought the factory manuals and is in the process of inventorying the car to see what he has. Next is building a dolly and bringing it home. It's going to be saved.
Excellent news! Thank you John
Jules

John Brooks
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Brooks »

Mark has his coupe home, the journey begins. Not as bad as I expected.

https://forum.abcgt.com/forum/main-foru ... -austin-tx
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab