Avoiding Being a Victim of Classic Car Hobby Fraud

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Erickson
356 Fan

Re: Avoiding Being a Victim of Classic Car Hobby Fraud

#16 Post by Dave Erickson »

chris romney wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:18 pm When selling I don't take anything but wire transfers and PayPal friends and family. Everything else including cashiers checks is subject to fraud.

Chris
As a buyer, I would never use Paypal friends and family unless I knew the seller. I will always use regular Paypal and pay the fees. Paypal's buyer protection is voided if you use friends and family.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#17 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Has anyone used Zelle for transactions. Super easy!
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#18 Post by Glen Getchell »

Mark Pribanic wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:26 am Has anyone used Zelle for transactions. Super easy!
I contacted my lawyer friend (who knows a guy who lost big bucks in a wire transfer reversal) and asked if there was some sort of info that he could provide that I could cut and paste on the forum. He doesn't at this time, but was going to look. But he did say this.

" I don't have a cut and paste, but I will look...best to ask Bank that one deals with. Bank sets own policy. Bank of America holds large checks for ten days. Free loan to them. No regulations of Bank policy.

Once you make a Zelle payment, it's final. My wife sent some lucky guy $100.00."

I have never heard of Zelle, so this is something we should be looking into. I have no idea if this "Zelle" thing existed a few years back when I did my transfers.
I would argue that asking your bank if a wire transfer is not adequate. Ask for it in writing. That is what started my trip down this rabbit hole.

Glen
64Cx2

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#19 Post by Martin Benade »

Asking for it in writing was a key on your part to getting the truth. A great idea.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Cliff Murray
356 Fan

#20 Post by Cliff Murray »

I finally, minutes ago, spoke to my banker just after I spoke to a retired(20 years) banker friend. There is absolutely no way for a wire transfer to be taken back by the sender once it shows up in the recipient's bank account.
1957 Speedster
1959 Sunroof
1960 Devin D Porsche racer
1963 GS2133 Coupe
1967 911S
2003 575M
Various vintage motorcycles

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Cliff Murray wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:06 pm I finally, minutes ago, spoke to my banker just after I spoke to a retired(20 years) banker friend. There is absolutely no way for a wire transfer to be taken back by the sender once it shows up in the recipient's bank account.
+ 1. This is technically called an Electronic Funds Transfer and becomes subject to the Electronic Funds Transfer Act of 1978. These payments are not regulated by the Uniform Commercial Code, but rather by Federal Reserve Regulation B.
~ Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

chris romney
356 Fan

#22 Post by chris romney »

Dave; if you read my post, I almost only deal with people I know, or who are well know in the 356 community. If I were buying from a stranger, I too would pay the PayPal fees which are cheap insurance. What Cliff and Jeff have discovered corresponds with my decades of professional experience with wire transfers. Once sent, they can't be reversed, so before you send an unknown person money, you better be sure of what you're doing. Regarding banks not giving you access to your money for 10 days after you deposit a check; it's total nonsense. All banks are now on a clearing system which clears checks within 24 hours, so you should have access to your money the next day at the latest. Anything else is just an attempt by the bank to take the "float" on your money for 10 days. If pressed, I've found that banks will give you access the next day. Ten days is a total fabrication, although I might use it as an excuse if I were selling to someone overseas or unknown to me just to make sure I got paid and the check was good.

Chris

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#23 Post by Michael Branning »

Great work on this Cliff. Very wise advice, clearly stated.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#24 Post by Adam Wright »

I've always been told by my bank that a Bank Wire is a one way street, cannot be retrieved. I did however once grill my banker on whether or not you can put a stop payment on a bank check and you can. They discourage it, but will do it. So taking a bank check for a car is a bad idea if you watch the car drive away. It's also a bad idea because there are so many fake checks.
Some guys also insist on old school, this was the night before I bought a 55 Speedster, anyone want to guess how much is in the stacks?
Attachments
loot.JPG
loot.JPG (74.25 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jerry Powell
356 Fan

#25 Post by Jerry Powell »

Part of the confusion may be that it is technically possible to do a EFT reversal, but procedurally it is used only in exigency circumstances.
I designed a turnkey EFT and accounting system for the US Treasury and we had to pass four rigorous tests with the FRBNY that included wire reversals. We appeared like a member bank to the Federal Reserve Network and had access to all member banks attached to it.
I remember one instance where the President's first paycheck had to be reversed because it was not sent to his bank----politically this would have been bad news and no one knew about it but the EOP who sent it and us(We also ran the system).

So, this may be part of the confusion.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#26 Post by Martin Benade »

So what does it take to be an exigency situation and how can you prevent that possibility?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jerry Powell
356 Fan

#27 Post by Jerry Powell »

It depends:
If you are a member of congress and your district did not get a $100m letter of credit payment-----you want to look good. You call the Treasury Secretary, declare an political emergency and it(reverse and payment) happens---with your photo in the local paper.
It ain't going to happen to a normal person unless the bank views the situation as a liability.

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#28 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Adam Wright wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:18 pm anyone want to guess how much is in the stacks?
Actually it wouldn’t be hard to do Adam if we had a clearer picture of the bundled grouping of the “Bands” and “Straps” since there is a protocol for how many individual bills comprise each.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#29 Post by Michael Branning »

Jerry Powell wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:08 pm Part of the confusion may be that it is technically possible to do a EFT reversal, but procedurally it is used only in exigency circumstances.
I designed a turnkey EFT and accounting system for the US Treasury and we had to pass four rigorous tests with the FRBNY that included wire reversals. We appeared like a member bank to the Federal Reserve Network and had access to all member banks attached to it.
I remember one instance where the President's first paycheck had to be reversed because it was not sent to his bank----politically this would have been bad news and no one knew about it but the EOP who sent it and us(We also ran the system).

So, this may be part of the confusion.

Thats great information to clear up the confusion. Thanks for sharing Jerry!
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#30 Post by Adam Wright »

Jeffrey Leeds wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:33 am
Adam Wright wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:18 pm anyone want to guess how much is in the stacks?
Actually it wouldn’t be hard to do Adam if we had a clearer picture of the bundled grouping of the “Bands” and “Straps” since there is a protocol for how many individual bills comprise each.
That would take all the fun out it it!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.