windshield install, Roadster & D

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Roy Smalley
356 Fan

windshield install, Roadster & D

#1 Post by Roy Smalley »

Possibly the most onerous set of parts on a 356, and one that has been written about extensively is the roadster & D windshield assembly. Just a heads up based on some recent experience. If you have an old set of aluminum trim, (or a set that was built by Bill Perrone in years past), if you can clean them up and use them, that might save you a lot of time as well as wearing out your thumbs and finger tips. We have a few originals plus I have a couple of real, NOS pieces to compare to those being offered currently.While the thickness of the extrusion is essentially the same as original, the parts themselves are not flexible at all like the originals. Coupled with a very stiff lower rubber, installation is much more of a PITA. And there are differences in the rubber hardness from different vendors...use the softest lower seal you can find.

And good luck.
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

Re: windshield install, Roadster & D

#2 Post by Geoff Fleming »

This problem of hard rubber is also evident in the majority of coupe door and hood seals. So many owners change the seals then find it is impossible to close a door or have the hood close properly.
Original seals were of a very pliant rubber and compressed easily.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jules Dielen »

supple rubber is more expensive, hence only the cheap stuff is made.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Jules Dielen wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:47 pm supple rubber is more expensive, hence only the cheap stuff is made.
It can be done, remember Veloce Space, their rubber was perfect, but pricey. They stopped making it, I guess people didn't want to pay.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

Adam Wright wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:05 pm
Jules Dielen wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:47 pm supple rubber is more expensive, hence only the cheap stuff is made.
It can be done, remember Veloce Space, their rubber was perfect, but pricey. They stopped making it, I guess people didn't want to pay.
yup, that is the problem. If 90% of customers buy the cheap option, the better option no longer makes sense. Sucks
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

Jules Dielen wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:56 pm
Adam Wright wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:05 pm
yup, that is the problem. If 90% of customers buy the cheap option, the better option no longer makes sense. Sucks
I got into this same discussion on another board the other day where people were screaming about why anyone would make a repro part that wasn't 100% correct. I gave a number of reasons but it mostly boiled down to people are cheap and making it at 90% is more profitable, and you can sell it cheaper, and people will always go for cheaper. Not all people, but most people. Meaning most restoration shops will always go for the repro part unless specified by the owner to source NOS or OEM. They want quick and they want cheap.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Restoration shops don’t generally have time to hunt down NOS parts. That can be a full time job.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#8 Post by Jim Liberty »

I've had good luck with International Mercantile. I have no clue if they are more expensive. The real cost is labor, not parts. Do it once, do it right and it is always less expensive. ......Jim.
Jim Liberty

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

I was so terrified about putting glass in a Roadster that I had them paint around the frame. That and my dash covering couldn't be replicated, and it matched the interior. I figured decades from now someone will be restoring my car and say, "why is it red under here."
My car, my rules.
Attachments
105.jpg
105.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 775 times
74.JPG
74.JPG (318.09 KiB) Viewed 775 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ron LaDow »

The first Speedster windshield cracked down the middle as the center support was being tightened. The next one was found cracked the next day. Sort of like getting the Lusso electric fuel pump to work, the third one got 'loving' assembly; 40 years later, it's good.
I'm not any sort of believer in 'spiritualism', but I've become convinced that your attention and dedication to to the task at hand pays dividends.
BTW, the car was painted prior to fitting the windshield.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jon Schmid »

Weren't these the cars that were advertised as "remove the windshield and race on the weekend and then reinstall it and drive to work on Monday" sort of thing? Suuure....

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

Jon Schmid wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm Weren't these the cars that were advertised as "remove the windshield and race on the weekend and then reinstall it and drive to work on Monday" sort of thing? Suuure....
My guess was a lot of cracked glass on the Monday commute.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jon Schmid »

Adam Wright wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:45 pm
Jon Schmid wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm Weren't these the cars that were advertised as "remove the windshield and race on the weekend and then reinstall it and drive to work on Monday" sort of thing? Suuure....
No doubt. But somehow that was never mentioned, was it?...

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Adam Wright »

Jon Schmid wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:50 pm
Adam Wright wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:45 pm
No doubt. But somehow that was never mentioned, was it?...
It was good marketing, my guess is the amount of guys who actually ever did this was pretty small. But lots of guys did drive to work on Monday thinking they "could" go racing. Commuting in a 356 is a fun experience, I know.
Attachments
roaddrivenew.jpg
roaddrivenew.jpg (609.83 KiB) Viewed 728 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

Is that a NY state thing, a slalom course set up in a construction zone? I like it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna