DIY - making it easier hacks

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Al Zim
356 Fan

Re: DIY - making it easier hacks

#16 Post by Al Zim »

Upper engine bolts can be done by one person. Tighten the bottom two nuts. First you place a small hose clamp around the head of the bolt but not further forward then the end of the head. We then but a lump of the tar like material that is used around air conditioning fittings in cars, around the shank of the bolt by the head. Push the bolt in place as you tighten the lower 17 mm nuts and it will stay in place as you put the washer and the nut on the top bolts. What a pain to do this untill they in vented the ratcheting box end wrench.
Last edited by Al Zim on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#17 Post by Martin Benade »

The tar stuff is called dum-dum in some circles.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#18 Post by Mike Wilson »

Or drill through the heads of the bolts and insert a roll pin that prevents the bolt from turning. One of our members used to make them up. The dum dum will prevent the bolts from being pushed back.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#19 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

Thank you Mike, I'll check it out.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

John Brooks
356 Fan

#20 Post by John Brooks »

What Mike said.
Attachments
Upper trans bolt with roll pin
Upper trans bolt with roll pin
image.jpg (561.98 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Upper trans bolt worth roll pin
Upper trans bolt worth roll pin
image.jpg (566.88 KiB) Viewed 600 times
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Jason Laster
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jason Laster »

Randy Mittelstet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:18 am what make of ramps do you use for the rear tires?
I have had this set for years, but a quick search and I'm pretty sure that https://www.amazon.com/RhinoRamp-11905- ... B0002YTN4I is the set I have. I have a set of 2x10s cut at a few lengths to provide some beginning clearance if needed under the tires.
1963 Porsche 356B
1989 Porsche 964 Carrera 4
1962 VW 15 Window Deluxe

John Brooks
356 Fan

#22 Post by John Brooks »

Ok. Here a complicated hack, you need a welder and some square tube, or angle. Cheap motor cycle jack, extend it 12" with swivel casters on each corner. The mount a tilting table top, perforated to accept the engine case sump and drain.

Now you have a solid engine jack, that tilts to match the transmission angle. Raised and lowers with your left foot. Lowering foot valve has a "very slow mode" when all the way down. Table tilts up and down to clear the heater horns on the axel tubes & fan pulley You can use both hands to move the engine around while lowering or installing it. Makes an engine drop take less than 15 minutes. I don't drop a lot of engines anymore, I wish I had this 50 years ago.

I can take a complete engine off the test/ run-in stand and stick it directly into the car with the shrouds installed.
Attachments
Modified Jack, with tilt table. Sits on the case
Modified Jack, with tilt table. Sits on the case
image.jpeg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 596 times
Lower hand wheel to pitch the table to clear the heater tubes, or match trans angle
Lower hand wheel to pitch the table to clear the heater tubes, or match trans angle
image.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 596 times
Left foot, up and down hands free. Super slow down mode
Left foot, up and down hands free. Super slow down mode
image.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 596 times
Very low profile, so the car his not as high. Super solid and stable on the Jack
Very low profile, so the car his not as high. Super solid and stable on the Jack
image.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 596 times
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab

Jason Laster
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jason Laster »

I have stayed clear of the motorcycle jacks b/c of the lack of good front castors. your solution is great John. I may need to pick up a jack now and start on this. Does the tilting threaded rod just rest under the plate the engine rests on, or is there any sort of bushing/wear block there?
1963 Porsche 356B
1989 Porsche 964 Carrera 4
1962 VW 15 Window Deluxe

John Brooks
356 Fan

#24 Post by John Brooks »

Jason

Yes it's just a 7/16 threaded rod welded to a round piece of 3/8 plate, cut It out 3" ODA with finger grips and rounder edge. Goes through a nut on the back angle iron, It's tilts east. A couple bolts in the front for a pivot. 12" extension will lift it up into a engine stand with the yoke installed. the ground clearence is about 2" completely down

Also at the front legs, leave room to clear the center leg on your engine stand before the bottom front cross bar.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#25 Post by Harlan Halsey »

The year was 1971 and I had drained the oil out of the convertible D transmision. I soon found that no container I had would fit up there to refil the transmission. I tried filling a rubber glove with oil and squeezing it around a tube. I got more oil on me than in the transmission. The solution was to solder a copper tube into a 2 quart can and pressurize the can through a bicycle Presta valve. But the can is weak and won't take more than a couple of pounds of pressure. But I had an air brush with a small compressor. A piece of hose over the compressor hose is a loose fit over the presta valve, allowing me to control the pressure and the flow.
IMG_0569 Transmission Filler.jpg
IMG_0569 Transmission Filler.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 558 times
That was nearly 50 years ago. Since I have used that system on Mercedes, BMWs, Miata, Lotus, Ginetta,and of course, 356s. The airbrush has yet to perform its proper function. And I have become a fan of Vermont and New Hampshire maple syrup.

David Grubbs
356 Fan

#26 Post by David Grubbs »

Never in much of a hurry, I fill the transmission overnight with a five foot length of vinyl tubing attached to a large funnel hanging from the rafters. Time and gravity beat viscosity eventually. And I can't overfill if I start with the proper volume of fluid.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#27 Post by Ron LaDow »

John, this brought back memories:
file.jpg
file.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 503 times
Long ago, I was one of the founders and owners of a company which produced industrial exhibits. As such, we had fork lifts to move crates of those products to and from storage and shipping and so forth.
As an owner, access to the floor space and the forklift was a given. Looped aluminum straps on two 1X1 sticks dropped over the control levers of the forklift allowed control of Y and Z axis of the fork lift blades from a the creeper under the car.
BINGO!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#28 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

I'm doing a hood seal project now. Here is a really handy drill attachment by Dewalt $20 I came across for tight places. You also need a hex drill bit set for $24 from Home Depot.

Another tip I got that would be handy when under the hood and needing more space is to put a 66 inch board between the floor and the top hood latch. Best to run a wire through the board at the top and wire it to the latch..... to avoid a life insurance event in case you kick it etc.
Attachments
tools 3 .jpeg
tools 3 .jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 457 times
tools 2 .jpeg
tools 2 .jpeg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 457 times
tools 1 .jpeg
tools 1 .jpeg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 457 times
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#29 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

almost forgot. It was Stephen Dempsey who told me about raising the hood. It's surprising how much higher it will go.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#30 Post by Jon Schmid »

Don Gale wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 pm One of my 1st hacks for removing Zenith carbs when I bought my oxy-acetylene torch in 1975

12mm_stubbie.jpg
Grinding wheel cut works well, too...