Creative ways to mount the brake reservoir

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

Creative ways to mount the brake reservoir

#1 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Here is an easy mount for the brake reservoir I'm installing on my A. It actually feels very stable because the sides straddle the gas tank strap. I'm concerned that it could get bumped when something is put in the trunk. Zim's suggests mounting it to the bulkhead just above the dual master cylinder I'm installing but it seems hard to get to even check the level. There just doesn't seem to be enough space under the inspection cover to install it either. I'm betting that someone here has come up with a creative solution to mounting it.
Attachments
1.jpg

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Creative ways to mount the brake reservoir

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Mine is mounted on the strap, when I had the dual master installed, no problems as of yet, it's been like that for a couple of years.
Attachments
cookies1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#3 Post by Gary Cox »

I am hopeful someone will show a nice set up that can avoid drilling a hole in sheetmetal to allow the hoses to pass thru. I really want to do this but not willing to drill holes in my car. Anyone have dual reservoir that mounts directly to the master cylinder?
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

I would put it just above the master cylinder as suggested. That works fine. If you insist on putting it in the trunk then use brake tubing with a short piece of hose at each end to complete the connection. By doing that the holes you drill will be much smaller.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jack Walter »

I mounted mine under the hatch to a bracket I made that bolted to the bulkhead inboard of the steering column. That way I didn't have to drill holes for the hoses to pass through.

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#6 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Hey Jack, We would love to see the pictures of that and maybe a drawing with dimensions of your bracket.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ed Rutherford of Klasse 356 has mounted the reservoir on the upper left side under the steering box access cover as well. Out of sight, easy to check/fill and the hoses are out of sight as well.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#8 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Mike this interests me a lot. Do you have pictures or any other description showing just how Ed did this? Ed where are you?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ed is located in Torrance, CA. He might be able to provide a sketch of the bracket. Not sure if he took any pics of it.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bill Tate »

Jerry & Gary, In conjunction with installing my dual master cylinder I also changed the brake light switch from the pressure switch on the cylinder to the brake pedal movement switch described by Cliff Murray. Moving the switch wire back into the pedal area allowed me to remove the grommet and use the large hole to mount a bracket I made from some scrap aluminum. The bracket is shown below. This method makes no new holes anywhere and if one wanted to, allows return to the original configuration. KTF.
Attachments
Brake fluid can (480x640).jpg
Bill Tate
Drive your Tub for improved mental health.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

If you're mounting in a C, just "T" the supply hoses under the trunk floor using the existing hole for the single (top) hose.
(added by edit) If your car is earlier, you already had to remove that hatch plate to check the fluid level. I can't visualize the entire 'bay' under the trunk floor, but isn't there some feature where you could ny-tie a reservoir in place without any drilling?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jack Walter »

JERRY LANDES wrote:Hey Jack, We would love to see the pictures of that and maybe a drawing with dimensions of your bracket.
Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the mount and the Carrera is now living in Los Angeles. It looked similar to what Bill Tate has posted.

Robin Walker
356 Fan

#13 Post by Robin Walker »

To fit the dual circuit master cylinder in my RHD 64 356C I made a small plate to extend the existing mount to which I could mount the new dual master cylinder reservoir just high enough to allow the two brake fluid pipes to pass through the existing hole. The system is the Al Zim kit but I am using blue silicone rubber brake pipes from the reservoir to the dual master cylinder.
Attachments
SNV36444.JPG
SNV36581.JPG
Robin Walker
1962 356B S90 Coupe. sold.
1964 356C Coupe RHD
1973 911S Coupe LHD
1983 924 coupe RHD

John Clarke
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all
We don't have a remote brake fluid reservoir on our dual circuit master cylinder system!
It sits directly on top of the master cylinder, it can't get knocked but does require removal of the steering box /coupling access panel and a long funnel to top up when required. Added by edit: I may have said before that replacing the hydraulic brake switch with a brake
lever actuated electrical switch is a good safety mod, as some of the replacement hydraulic switches can burst! Losing all the brake fluid Not Good !

Regards Jay

Ron Delmendo
356 Fan

#15 Post by Ron Delmendo »

This sounds like Ed’s set-up, but I got it years ago from someone in the Sacramento group. It does require drilling three holes under the gasket for the mounting bolts.
Attachments
3D58D3C5-47AE-4F79-9E18-71EDD8FC4513.jpeg
3D58D3C5-47AE-4F79-9E18-71EDD8FC4513.jpeg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1320 times
Cheers,

Ron

'61 Roadster Outlaw
'69 911E ROW Coupe
'68 911 SWT project
‘18 Macan