MANDATORY FOR NEW MEMBERS Add Your Location to Your Profile

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

Re: Add Your Location to Your Profile

#31 Post by Michael Branning »

Whenever a new member accesses the forum for the first time, the location field is required to be filled out. It may be technically possible to force existing members to fill the information out upon their next login, but that needs to be studied and discussed/approved by the Trustees because it deals with privacy and carries the risk of confusing some of our less computer literate members.

The exact location (e.g. Los Angeles, California) is not required but the general location (e.g. Southern California) must be added.

Like it or not, our members are worldwide and privacy laws vary. Some places have strict and serious privacy laws. We have a Member directory on the main website with an opt-in policy to display your information (viewable only by members). The majority of members have not opted in yet so there are complaints that it is not useful. This extends to the Travel Assistance Network...it uses the same permissions. I'd like to believe this is more an awareness issue that a fear issue.

Please encourage your friends to add the location info to their profile and to opt-in to the TAN and member info visibility.
Instructions are here:
(PDF) https://porsche356registry.org/docs.ashx?id=937932
(Video) https://youtu.be/QRpy4YnDGH0

These matters are on a list with many club issues that the Trustees will take up and look into.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Re: MANDATORY FOR NEW MEMBERS Add Your Location to Your Profile

#32 Post by Steve Proctor »

IMG_20160318_095742837.jpg
Don't know why people are wringing their hands over this. REQUIREMENT to put in their location?? No. If needed, it can be addressed on an individual basis as it is now, people offer help and ask where the helpee is located. Personally, I have no problem letting people know my location and have no problem letting people know my license plate characters, but to some, it is a concern. I don't think you can just casually go on line in any state and find someone's address by looking up their license plate information. Imagine the impact of being able to do so...
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#33 Post by Martin Benade »

Steve I think it is now a requirement for new members to list at least a general area. Like you, I have no problem with that.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Al Zim
356 Fan

#34 Post by Al Zim »

Cross the access road as you are dropped off from someone on the freeway and you are in the front of our building! Cars and Trailers have been stolen from in front of the building when left outside. Bullets have arrived on the side of the building shell casings use to be common near the building. My wife and I have to have our home address on the drivers license. That is the only place it is listed. Cars are kept in a special building with cameras and immediate contact to the alarm company with cameras operating 24/7. No one knows where I live. THAT IS HOW I WANT TO KEEP MY LIFE. You can see me at work. al
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/