Radio speakers in a "C"?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Radio speakers in a "C"?

#1 Post by David Jones »

This subject has been covered well but I did read the archives and I still have a simple question. Will modern 5.25" speakers fit easily in a "C"? I am thinking a pair of $50 speakers like Pioneer or similar from Walmart. My hearing is not good enough to spend any more money on and the radio is just to play music from my MP3 player when I am cruising down to the ECH or when I occasionally get to the interstate rather than the fun roads where the engine is the music. My "C" currently has no radio but I just ordered a retro classic from Retro Sound because I just installed my cheap Chinese 6 to 12 volt converter which will carry the load easily I calculate. I should be all in with the installation for less than $300 unless I install an antenna.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Radio speakers in a "C"?

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

The speakers of that size that I have tried are too big. Some places like Crutchfield give dimensions so you can check sizes. I am using some speakers that were sold as 4" which needed a 3/8 plywood ring to make them fit, spacing them outward until the back was small enough diameter to go in the hole. Don't rely on nominal size. I think I have heard Woodies has something decent that will fit easily and not cost much.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#3 Post by David Jones »

Thanks Martin. That clarifies what I read. I may get the Walmart speakers and try them as they are easily returned. Now I have some idea of what to expect.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dave Wildrick »

David Jones wrote:This subject has been covered well but I did read the archives and I still have a simple question. Will modern 5.25" speakers fit easily in a "C"? I am thinking a pair of $50 speakers like Pioneer or similar from Walmart. My hearing is not good enough to spend any more money on and the radio is just to play music from my MP3 player when I am cruising down to the ECH or when I occasionally get to the interstate rather than the fun roads where the engine is the music. My "C" currently has no radio but I just ordered a retro classic from Retro Sound because I just installed my cheap Chinese 6 to 12 volt converter which will carry the load easily I calculate. I should be all in with the installation for less than $300 unless I install an antenna.
I had no trouble fitting standard 5.25 inch speakers in each of my C coupes. The coupes both have the grills that are square with the rounded corners. One set is Pioneer brand (from Crutchfield) and the other is Infinity (from Fry's electronics store). I don't think I paid more than $50-$100/pair for either set. With the Infinity set, which has an adjustable tweeter that protrudes at the front/center of the speaker, I had to leave off the grill cloth to get the grill to stay in place.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#5 Post by Alex Mestas »

David:
I have the sort of round original speaker grills and I used blaupunkt speakers that Woody's custom radio sells. Very reasonable priced and fits perfectly even with the cloth on my grill. Check him out he's on eBay. Charles Rollins will hook you up with everything you need.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Bob Cannon
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bob Cannon »

Most 5 1/4" speakers will fit in the round or semi-round grills of the T6 cars. You may need to trim the ends of the tabs a bit, but the size of the opening in the grill base and the opening in the body will easily accommodate the speaker. Modern 2-way speakers usually have a silver tweeter cone which sometimes shows through the grills. If this bothers you, simply dust the cone with a little flat black spray from a rattle can and you are good to go.

I second the recommendation to check out the items in Woody's Custom Shop when you need speakers or other parts. Charles Rollins is a 356'er who is great to deal with. His 5" replacement speakers work very well in T6 cars and are a great deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Upgrade-5-I ... 7737495%26

These come with a black grill which is easily popped off with a screwdriver to give you the basic speaker.
Attachments
5 inch speakers from Woody's Custom Shop
5 inch speakers from Woody's Custom Shop
c8f0_1.JPG (23.87 KiB) Viewed 6403 times
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

Re: Antenna?

#7 Post by Richard Shilling »

David,

If you don't install an antenna, you won't hear much regardless of the speaker.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Randy Cook
356 Fan

#8 Post by Randy Cook »

Subject probably beaten to death now, but I new to forum. My 356C cab has aftermarket Pioneer speakers with a round black screen grill. 80s style POS radio was taken out.

I reviewed the tech material, but am still a bit confused. For my 65 (Oct 64 release) are the round chrome types 'original' or at least correct for period? The car was a Euro purchase, and the CoA did not indicate a radio. Something was probably added after it returned to the US, as there is an older correct antenna. I found a correct V series Frankfurt (will be installing soon), and want to try to get close to original on the whole set up. I know the 'sort of round' grills are not available, so I would like to go with the chrome/black round that I have seen on similar cars The one in the above post has exposed screws, was that 'correct'?

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#9 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Randy-

If you are not in a hurry, you'll see the "sorta round" ones on Ebay from time to time. If you want to see all the original fittings, wires, etc, you can view them on my website as I took lot of pictures while the radio was out of the car.

Click on the website below my name and look in the Accessories Section.

Hope this helps.
Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#10 Post by David Jones »

Richard Shilling, You are so wrong. I intend to use my MP3 player because I have found that most of the time where I live most of what I can receive is religious programs and country music, neither of which do I subscribe to, so with about 1000 tracks on my MP3 I will not get bored if I have it on random play.
I do appreciate your concern though :D
Not to say I may yet install an antenna!!
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Eric McKinley »

I am going to resurrect this thread a little.

I have a Jan 64C, which speaker type would be the correct one, round or sort of round.

Appreciate any input as always.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

I lean toward the sorta round for the late B's and C's with no evidence to back up my assumption. I've wondered if the differences were based on the radios; Bluapunkt vs. Becker.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#13 Post by Eric McKinley »

Thanks Mike,

I have found a number of places that are producing the round but the sort of round will be more of a challenge.
They do come up as a pair on eBay occasionally.
I had a look on the woodys site, and found the 5' speakers that they recommend, the sorta round grills fit to these speakers.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi, Eric:

The sorta round speaker grills do come up on eBay. The speakers are 5 inch. Try Crutchfield for the low ohm speakers. Sometimes original Blaupunkt speakers come up on eBay as well.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Lots of links sent but one of our own members has the sorta round grills on eBay now. Link sent.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe