What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

#616 Post by Neil Bardsley »

On a semi serious question. I've entered a Sprint Event. My current tyres are 165/80. Would 175/65 that David mentioned be a better tyre? It's wider and had a shorter sidewall so less chance of deforming? PS this is a theoretical question as I've already spent enough buying all the safety gear :)

Jason Parolini
356 Fan

#617 Post by Jason Parolini »

I currently have a set of "chrome hubcap" style wheels on my 64' 356c Coupe. When I bought my car a couple of years ago, it came with an extra set of steel wheels (4 1/2 JX15) that I think I am going to either paint or powder coat black and go with that look (any comments on paint vs powder coat?)

A couple of seasoned 356 guys mentioned that the current tires on my car (185 HR 15 91H) are "oversized" and look like "balloons" on the car. When I switch out the wheels I am thinking of going with a 165 tire. That is the original stock size tire for my car, right?

Two questions.

1- What performance difference will I notice going from a 185 to a 165 tire?

2 - I am interested in a "vintage" or "period correct" look. Any suggestions on tires that fit that bill would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

#618 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Jason,
I can't respond to Q#1. Prepping the wheels and using automotive paint on them is a relatively easy process. Painted wheels can look good for a long time and any small repairs to the paint is easy to do. If you want to paint them a different color or have them chromed later on, that too is relatively easy.

Tires: I have only used 165/80 x 15 tires in Michelin XZX, Vredestein Sport+ (no longer imported) and now their Sprint Classic tire. Sprint Classics are a summer tire so shouldn't be used if you are going to drive in temps less than 20 deg F. A friend compromised a few years ago by mounting Vredestein Sprint Classics in 175/70 x 15's on his restorations and his personal cars. They are 0.7 inches less in diameter and turn 27 more times per mile (per Tire Rack, measured on 5 inch rims). He likes the look and their performance.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Dave Hegeman
356 Fan

#619 Post by Dave Hegeman »

Jason,

If you are after period correct look and performance, the 165/80-15 tire is the way to go. It's what the car was designed for and came with. I like the Sprint Classics on my 64C.

Tom makes several good points in favor of paint.

Dave

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

New tire recommendations?

#620 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hello all,
I have read several of the past threads and I know this topic has been commented on a lot but still I seek recommendations here from you.
So my Goodyear Eagle tires 195 60 R15 are eight years old. I like them they seem fine and look good. Seems time to consider new tires right?
I like spirited drives in my '58 Speedster.
As a purist I would consider the proper Mfg. that has a history with 356 cars etc. Also looking for overall value and performance for the dollar.
I drive about 2500 miles a year.
Have ordered tires from TireRack in the past they have nice selection and prices.
I know you cannot do wrong with Michelin. Continental is big with Porsche etc.
Any opinions on a Dunlap or Vredestein tires?
Maybe the most popular 3-4 Mfg's deemed from this group would be a good place to start?
Thank you,
Steve

Pete Indelicato
356 Fan
Tag: 356 owner

Re: New tire recommendations?

#621 Post by Pete Indelicato »

Pirelli P4--195 60 15, set of four mounted, balanced, etc..$540.55 total--America's tire.
1963 T6 couple #212891, motor #*KD*P*730464

George Hussey
356 Fan

#622 Post by George Hussey »

I would use 165x14 XAS michelin, good performance, (better than dunlap or vredestein) more period correct (but not exactly correct!!) and look good on the car
George Hussey

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#623 Post by Jon Schmid »

Hi Steve,
A lot of people have badmouthed me here in the past because of this recommendation but I am on my second set of Korean made Nexen tires on my 1964 coupe. Unless you plan on autocrossing (and even then...), you're going to toss the tires due to age long before you wear them out. For my car and my level of driving (which can be spirited given circumstances in SoCal), the tires work great. I was convinced years ago when the tire shop manager (a young kid, of course), was fitting them on his Mitsubishi 3000GT. I have the stock 4-1/2" wide rims so I run 165 tires. Just a point of reference and 15 years experience FWIW... Good luck!!

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#624 Post by Thomas Sottile »

After 35 years of owning a 356 sc I agree with steve remember you are driving a 50x year old car with 90hp if you are lucky

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#625 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Pretty simple-Michelin, Vrederstein, Firestone. I find that Jegs.com and summit racing have good deliverd prices. You should be able to get four for $500 plus or minus. Nexen may save you a few bucks.
 KTF, member #15

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#626 Post by Mike Wilson »

I know someone with better research skill that I have can find the info on how many tire brands are made by just a few manufacturers.
When I had my '58 coupe, I ran Dunlops. On my '63, it came with Michelins. Since then, Yokohamas, Kumhos, and now Vredersteins. I think tire selection, like shocks, should be decided by your driving style and ride preference.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Art Caputo
356 Fan

#627 Post by Art Caputo »

It’s been about 15 months and 4000 miles since I mounted a set of Michelin 165x1R15 tires on my 1960 Roadster B. While I have owned this car for over three decades, my original plan after driving it for a few years was to do a complete restoration, a bit at a time, until retirement…that amounted to about 25 years. Spending most of my life with 911’s, I have always felt the 356 was a more exhilarating car to simply drive a few hours on the secluded back country roads….A favorite pastime. When I first acquired my Roadster it had the same size Michelins. After wading through all the various posts on the subject, I decided to go with the same tire I had originally. I’m glad I did! With the majority of the 4000 miles spent in 3rd gear between 40 and 70mph on those ”apple orchard” roads, with plenty of curves, the ride quality and handling is everything I could have hoped for. While I could have perhaps picked designs with more traction, I will admit that I fully enjoy the very predictable and controllable oversteer/drift that captivated me so many years ago. I really like the original look. Running pressures of 27(rear) and 24(front), I feel I have the perfect balance of the softness, traction, and handing qualities that defines the 356.
I don’t think I’ve clocked more then a few hundred miles on my 86 911 since I put the the Roadster in the road….And I don’t see this changing any time soon.
Art Caputo
1960 T5 Roadster
1956 A Coupe
1986 Carrera
2018 Cayenne
2017 Macan(wife)

Mario Garcia
356 Fan

#628 Post by Mario Garcia »

Hi folks,
Does anyone know if classic fuchs from an early 911 size 15x6” work on a 356 T5 B without having to modify fenders? If they will work, what size tires do I use, again without having to mod the fenders? Thanks
Mario García

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#629 Post by Mike Wilson »

Mario, the Fuchs are for disc braked cars. Unless your T5 brakes have been swapped out for discs, it has drum brakes. If so, I'm not sure if the 6 inch Fuchs would fit in the wheel wells. Others who have done the conversion can weigh in.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mario Garcia
356 Fan

#630 Post by Mario Garcia »

Thanks, Mike. I hope others who “have been there and done that” respond. The classic fuchs from that time period really look nice on a 356, especially a white car in my opinion.
Mario