What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dougal Cawley
356 Fan

Re: What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

#646 Post by Dougal Cawley »

It isnt just the compound. it is the carcass design. the Pirelli had more grip, but on top of that, and this is actually the most important thing, the Pirelli had a carcass that is designed ot be progressive. On cars of this period as the car rolls in the corners with an unsuitable tyre like the X because it wasn't designed for sports cars, and it happens again with more modern tyres, it all of a sudden rolls round the shoulder of the tyre and lifts a large portion of the tread of the tyre off the tarmac. The Cinturato is designed to compliment the chassis of a car with relative large amounts of travel in the suspension that does not increase its camber as the car heals, this means as it rolls around the shoulder of the tyre as the car heals it doesnt lift the same amouint of tread off the road and as it does it it does it gradually.

Modern cars are lower and stiffer, they have loads of caster and don't have the same levels of movement in the suspension. They don't roll as much in the corners. when a modern car does lean a bit in the corners it increases the amount of adverse camber it has as the suspension gets loaded up. This is the clever bit because that keeps all the foot print in contact with the road. A classic car can't do that.

Would these classic Cinturato tyres be better on a modern car? the answer is no. Ok their compounds are pretty epic so straight line braking would be good. yes if you took your silly 17" wheels off your modern car and fitted 15" wheels with some Cinturato with an extra inch of side wall then the ride would be much nicer. But no a modern car works better with a modern tyre.

I'm not sure hoiw well i have described this but maybe this picture what i done might help.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#647 Post by Wes Bender »

Very good explanation, Dougal. Thanks for posting.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#648 Post by David Jones »

Couldn't have put it better myself and my drawing would be worse which doesn't say a lot for your drawing Dougal.
I also remember the Goodyear G800 tire of that period which was not bad but a bit on the spongy side. The tire of choice on the mini back then was the Kelly Springfield absolutely fantastic in the rain and in the 60's and 70's I remember there being a lot of rain.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dougal Cawley
356 Fan

#649 Post by Dougal Cawley »

Im just a dirty tyre fitter and classic car nerd. I'm not actually an artist.

some more pictures of my old Lotus Elite because its cool (the yellow one has gone, but i still share the red one with a mate)
5 points to anyone who knows the conection between the 2 cars on the left (bare aluminium and blue) and Porsche in the second picture in my garage?

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#650 Post by Greg Bryan »

Hey - I think that’s me in the middle picture going down Wildcat Canyon in my Alfa circa 1970
Greg Bryan

Jon Paul Phillips
356 Fan

#651 Post by Jon Paul Phillips »

I'm running 185/70 15 Pirelli CN36 on my T5 B coupe, these particular tires have been transformative in bringing out the best handling aspects of the classic 356 suspension. I had read a european article on them a couple years ago, they were developed by Pirelli and Porsche Classic Stuttgart who brought on Hans Stuck, as a consultant and test driver to create a brand new structure and compound specifically for the 356 and early 911 cars that would maximize their potential. In my opinion, they nailed it. They are expensive .. and I suspect I won't get much over 7-10k miles out of them considering how sticky they feel .. but I intend to rotate them every 1500 miles to try and extend the life of the set. If you are an aggressive back road driver and like to awaken your cars inner devil, these are for you.

Ray Fuenzalida
356 Fan
Tag: ray_pilot

#652 Post by Ray Fuenzalida »

Maybe premature as the car needs to be rebuilt before I really need tires at all, but I already bought 185/70/15s. I thought a little bit wider tire would provide better handling.
Not that I will ever race, but thin tires do not grip the road as well.
As for air, I just bought a small hand held air compressor from Home Depot. A Ryobi battery powered tool. Perfect to carry in my antiques. Will fill any tire. Great to have for club outings.
Only about $30. Good deal.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#653 Post by Steve Proctor »

Ray, hoping your rebuild does not take long, you don't want those tires to age out. Thanks for the tip on the pump. That and some "slime" could come in handy out in the boondocks. Best of luck
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#654 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Just to add my 2 cents to the tire discussion. I’ve been running the 165 Vrendestein Sprint Classics on my 65 C coupe for years and have loved them! I’m also running the Willhoit 17.5mm sway bar, rear sport bushing, Skirmants rear camber compensator and a 120hp motor (longblock by Vic). The car is an absolute blast and I’ve done 7 rallies and several thousand miles of spirited driving and love the Vrendesteins, very predictable and really compliment the 356 chassis, it’s surprising how much traction you can get from 165 width tires! I’m due a new set of tire now and going for the Cinturato just to try something a bit different, will report back in future on those

Here’s a quick clip for any Instagram people out there, thats me in the red 356:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqttP-4J ... MxMTBkOA==
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece engine case to #336XX
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Vigot jack (late 54)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#655 Post by Martin Benade »

Ray, I have the same Ryobi compressor, it’s good but takes some patience. I was filling a tire for a rabbi and he suggested putting a rubber band around the handle to keep it running. I’d never thought of it, an excellent upgrade
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#656 Post by Jon Schmid »

+1 on the Ryobi compressor. My son, daughter and I each have one and we all like them a lot. As for tires, I like my Nexens a lot. Vredesteins are excellent tires but for the type and amount of driving I do they would be overkill.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#657 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:58 am I was filling a tire for a rabbi and he suggested putting a rubber band around the handle to keep it running. I’d never thought of it, an excellent upgrade
Divine inspiration.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#658 Post by Paul Lima »

Tire update: I've posted before on how great the Bridgestone RE 960 Pole Position 195/65-15 tires worked on my Roadster. Long since discontinued, I finally wore out my last set and replaced them with Falken ZIEX ZE-960 195/65-15 tires. I've now got about 1000 miles on them and can say they are very good tires. Maybe 90% of the Bridgestone performance, but lots of performance fun to enjoy. (and, 1/3 the cost of Pirellis)

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#659 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

The 1165 width is the standard size but you cab go to a 285/70 for a larger size. Any more and you can have some problems with speedo error and gearing. Alan The Stable.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#660 Post by Martin Benade »

What are those numbers?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna