BIG Project... ‘Lackstift’ Paint Touch-up Sticks 1960-1973

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Carl Bauer
356 Fan

BIG Project... ‘Lackstift’ Paint Touch-up Sticks 1960-1973

#1 Post by Carl Bauer »

Guys,

I’ve begun work on my winter project which I hope to have completed by the beginning of March 2011. In a moment of insanity before Thanksgiving I started toying with the idea of recreating the style of ‘Lackstift’ paint touch-up pencils that Porsche once offered as an accessory starting in about 1960.

How hard could it be?

I began by creating a paint code/name spreadsheet with my Red Book, color charts and other resources to see what kind of paint challenge/nightmare I created for myself. It’s a BIG one: 32 unique standard paint colors from 1960-1973, with usually between 7-9 standard colors each cycle. It’s a little different than the standard black, red and white of today!

However, since Porsche indicated not just the paint name but the paint code as well on the outside of the bottle there are actually 63 unique standard color Lackstifts from 1960-1973! As an example, many of you know when Slate Gray was offered the paint code changed over time from 6001, 6201, 6401, 6601 and finally 6801. As a result there won’t be just 1 Slate Gray Lackstift but 5 variations of it spanning 1960-1969. Naturally, some colors will be more popular than others, more Ruby Red (1957-1965) will be needed than Smyrna Green (1962-1963) but my goal is to have all 33 (standard and optional color) Lackstifts available from the outset for 356’s 1960-1965.

Of course that’s just the paint data… there are many more steps. In no particular order: 2 different die cut boxes to make, drawing and injection molding of the red button on the cap top, painting the bottles themselves, creating the bottle graphics and screen printing them on just like the originals. As you can see I have lots of after-hours work ahead of me in the next 3 months. I hope to document all of it here and hopefully it goes smoothly!
Image1.jpg
Carl Bauer - 1979 RoW 911SC

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

Re: BIG Project... ‘Lackstift’ Paint Touch-up Sticks 1960-19

#2 Post by Carl Bauer »

Because I want these to be as the factory or dealership delivered them I needed to do research on the boxes as well. Milou and Roy Lock on the 356 Registry were very, very helpful when it came to this.

Milou and I worked out that there were two different boxes and that the changeover probably occurred between the 66XX and 68XX codes. I have seen 1 or 2 68XX or later coded Lackstifts in the earlier box but for the most part the changeover is pretty definite. Both boxes are the same dimension with different graphics. The early box is dark blue and the later box is light blue.

Roy Lock kindly let me borrow a Bali Blue (6212) Lackstift with original box and Milou provided some great photos of the later style box to aid in the reproduction.

The boxes have been drawn up and are being made (printed, die-cut etc.) now and should be done next week. I found the correct paper that is slightly off white on the outside and a cardboardy brown on the inside. I also matched both boxes to Pantone color swatches so they should be very close in color. To differentiate between my reproduction from a very rare original box I have placed the OBP lettering on the flap end on both sides. Only when the flaps are open will they be visible.

Early (1960-1967)

Late (1968-197X)

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#3 Post by Carl Bauer »

Before going to press I made a prototype version of each box at home. I wanted to see them in 3D :D but more importantly I needed to make sure they would actually fit the Lackstift I would be making!

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#4 Post by Carl Bauer »

Another Piece to the Puzzle...

At the start of this project Roy Lock kindly sent me some photos of his 356 era Lackstifts. I learned from his photos that the touch-ups were boxed and placed in bags when new. So, in keeping with the idea of supplying these just as Porsche delivered them in the 60’s and 70’s I began looking for bags to match the originals. Roy told me that his bags, while looking like Ziplocs, were actually heat sealed on the end. It was tempting to heat seal them as original but I went with the almost correct looking, practical Ziplock version pictured below. As it turns out (thank you Eric) Porsche did start supplying these in ziplock bags at some point. So while not technically period correct for 356's the bags did evolve in that direction.

Mine

NOS

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#5 Post by Carl Bauer »

Yesterday afternoon I went by the printers to check out some print samples. Everything looked good so I should have complete boxes before Christmas. Now for the Lackstifts to fill them…

Thomas sent me this scan of his October 1962 Accessories Brochure where 4 different colored Lackstifts from 1960-1961 are featured prominently as accessory number 9234. They are from the left: Fjord Green (6005), Condor Yellow (6010), Ruby Red (6002) and Ivory (6004).

Note that the cap concealing the rubbing compound on the Ivory (6004) Lackstift is different than the other 3 colors. It has two horizontal ridges while the other three have many vertical ridges. I will be reproducing the two horizontal ridged cap as it was used from 1960 until the 1970’s. From what I can tell the vertical ridged cap was either never used or for a very short period of time. It's definitely very rare!

Also note that the color name and code on the Condor Yellow (6010) Lackstift are arranged side by side instead of stacked vertically like 6005 and 6004. Ruby Red doesn’t seem to feature a color code although it may be hiding around the corner.

Finally, the graphics on Condor Yellow Lackstift are huge! Probably 20% bigger than the other bottles.

It looks like there is a minor difference on each Lackstift as if this was a photo of the 1960 prototype bottles. All in all there is a ton of information in this photo and thanks to Thomas for the scan!

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Carl Bauer »

During my Christmas vacation in NC I was able to meet up with a fellow 356 enthusiast just down the road. One of the many highlights of the trip was the rare chance to closely view the earlier style of Lackstift, in this case 5710 Stone Gray. Outwardly, the earlier style is skinnier, longer and features larger graphics. It’s much more pen-like as you can see below.

After returning home I was looking at the Accessories brochure scan in the above post that Thomas had sent me and noticed that the graphic size and orientation of the 6010 Condor Yellow Lackstift matched the size and orientation of the graphics of the 5710 bottle I had just seen a few hours earlier! This makes the above scan that much more interesting.

My hypothesis is that Porsche or Dupli-Color were trying out the older version of the graphics on the new Lackstift shape before eventually scaling them down to match the physical size of the new bottle. Pretty cool!

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#7 Post by Joris Koning »

Carl, it would be great if you could make the earlier type also!

Cheers,

Joris
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#8 Post by Carl Bauer »

Joris Koning wrote:Carl, it would be great if you could make the earlier type also!

Cheers,

Joris
Joris,

This is a possibility but it would probably be a non-functional 'dummy' stick. I've only seen 57XX codes on the earlier style. That's only 3 years worth of cars (1957-1959) and there aren't too many of those out there. Anyone ever seen a box for the earlier style?

James Herrle
356 Fan

#9 Post by James Herrle »

Carl
I tried to access thte examples you posted by clicking on the image box but get no
link to the pics. any suggestions?
Jim Herrle
newbie(Sept 09)
65 356C coupe

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#10 Post by Carl Bauer »

James Herrle wrote:Carl
I tried to access thte examples you posted by clicking on the image box but get no
link to the pics. any suggestions?
Jim,

Not really sure what the problem is. All the pics look fine to me. Anyone else with a similar problem?

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#11 Post by Carl Bauer »

Friday Update:

The sample bottles have arrived. :shock: I was sent one white and one black. I've only ever seen Porsche use a black top so black it is!

The idealized version (in Irish Green):

I've also drawn up the red 'button' that resides in the top of the cap holding the rubbing compound in. It's currently out for estimate.

Finally, something I forgot to include the last time around. Both styles of box arrived and they look great.

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#12 Post by Carl Bauer »

To properly reproduce the Lackstift bottle graphics I need to make screens for screen printing… lots of them. Porsche had these screen printed in the 60’s and 70’s and when an original bottle is viewed close-up the screen mesh lines are quite visible as you can see below.

Each screen corresponds to a specific color code and since there are 73 unique color codes (33 for 356's) in the first batch there are 73 different screens to be made. That’s a lot of screens but they’re small so that’s lucky for me! Each screen can be washed and reused multiple times but I will make three of each just in case.

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#13 Post by Carl Bauer »

More good news today!

1) The sample buttons arrived and they look fantastic. The coloring and plastic type are spot on and they pop in perfectly. Very pleased with the results.:D They’ve been given the OK for a full production run and I should have them mid-February.

2) The raw, unpainted bottles are estimated to arrive Tuesday afternoon. That means it’s almost time to start painting. Finally!

3) I got bored one evening a few days ago so I made a ‘Lackstift’ binder full of color charts, paint related Service Bulletins and any other factory info relating to paint from 1960 - 1973. I was sent a very cool Service Bulletin from 11/70 and it’s nothing but paint info… very cool!

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#14 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Incredible work Carl. Just fantastic.
Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Carl Bauer
356 Fan

#15 Post by Carl Bauer »

Paul Hatfield wrote:Incredible work Carl. Just fantastic.
Paul

Thanks Paul. That means a lot!