Stone Gray, Beige Gray

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Schiavone
356 Fan

Stone Gray, Beige Gray

#1 Post by John Schiavone »

Does anyone have DuPont paint codes for stone gray or beige gray. Car photos of these colors would also be greatly appreicated.

Many thanks

John

JohnJSchiavone@cs.com

Ralph D
356 Fan

#2 Post by Ralph D »

I don't have a link to Dupont's site anymore but if you bring the German name of the color to your supplier they can look it up. Blue is listed as Blau. Red as Rot. Maybe just search for "Grau" under manufacturer "Porsche" and the year those colors were used.

The info is available online but a pain to find.

Photos and pics from the internet don't really help when picking out a color. My car looks Signal Red in lots of pics. The very best way is to attend a show and see them in person. I agonized over Aetna and Olso Blues...

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Ralph D on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
'60 Porsche Super 90
'60 Porsche Coupe

FREDRICH GLOCKLER
356 Fan

#3 Post by FREDRICH GLOCKLER »

John,
See this link for Stone Grey:

http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic. ... automobile

and photo of Beige Grey:

John Wilhoit may be a source for the codes. Very similar but the Stone Grey has more of a green hue to it.

Regards,

Paint

#4 Post by Guest »

John,
Here you go. http://www.caporsche.net/reference/colo ... rsche.html
Back under my rock I go 8)
Bob Lee
Porsche 356 Registry member 16135
Porsche 356 Club member
913 Registry member

Bob Warner
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Warner »

John ... no paint code , but here is a picture on the first page of my Stone Grey `57 coupe with the door open ( taken in 1964 ) , in lacquer , if my memory is still good . When I get some more time , I`ll go through some old albums and see if I have any more photos I can scan .

Bob

Bob Warner

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

Re: Stone Gray, Beige Gray

#6 Post by Bruce Baker »

John Schiavone wrote:Does anyone have DuPont paint codes for stone gray or beige gray. Car photos of these colors would also be greatly appreicated.

Many thanks

John

JohnJSchiavone@cs.com
John, as promised in my reply to your PM, here is the best Stone gray advice I can offer (I have no experience with mixing or spraying Beige gray):

First, the DuPont code is the Porsche code IF still available (and it is not). Any paint company codes their ingredients, their mixing colors, to use in a formula that matches a manufacturer's color code. It has nothing to do with which brand is selected or preferred.

For current chemistry, the formula for 5710 is too old for DuPont's color library. I spray Spies-Hecker (now a DuPont company) so I called their color library and a suggestion was made to start with a ('83-'85) VW color, code LH7K (called in the trade a "close offset") and modify that to suit you or your painter's eye (or accept it as is for repeatability).

They were kind enough to fax the formula to me for the VW color "to play with." If you need that, let me know.

My own Stone gray A's original sample areas are many shades lighter than John Willhoit's color card sample, as is often the case even on fresh Porsches, especially when 356s were new, so some leeway is tolerable as to what's actually 'original.' Two original cars like Norm's could be side-by-side and not match exactly.

You will need to pursue existing samples (chips or cars) to compare what your painter sprays for the VW and decide what's close enough to meet your satisfaction. As has been pointed out many times before, you cannot trust pictures on a computer for anything better than a hint of what is represented, some images better, some worse.

The thread you began has given good advice so far but obviously there is no easy answer for many 356 colors without much homework.

Good luck,

John Schiavone
356 Fan

Thanks

#7 Post by John Schiavone »

Thanks all for the good and speedy information. Bob Warner, any other photos would be greatly appreciated as my interior also will be red. Bruce, the research is fantastic -- I will take your advice and pursue.

Thanks again all!
John

Ralph D
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ralph D »

True. No entry for 5710 in Dupont. I searched for all "Porsche" "Gray" and eliminated the code for the newer cars. Got these. Not very useful. When you decide on a color we can probably find the formula.

PORSCHE 534 PERLGRAU N9584 Solid Exterior
PORSCHE 61W STAHLGRAU X4168 Effect Bumper
PORSCHE 669 GEMINIGRAU X2150 Effect Exterior
PORSCHE Z92 GRAU 7022 X8365 Solid Exterior
PORSCHE Z94 SAVOY GRAU X8498 Effect Exterior
PORSCHE Z99 DOLPHIN GREY UNI X8501 Solid Exterior
FLEET GERMANY GOEPFERT PORSCHE DUNKELGRAU Q8683 Solid Exterior
PORSCHE LM7S ACHATGRAU X8748 Effect Exterior
'60 Porsche Super 90
'60 Porsche Coupe

FREDRICH GLOCKLER
356 Fan

#9 Post by FREDRICH GLOCKLER »

John,
These guys have an extensive list of old colors and can provide what you need.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/default.aspx