Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

#871 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I seems that mounting the front cylnders backwards is not quite as uncommon as you would think. I recall hearing of two such instances. I one case the error was not detected until the first practice session. The effect is dramatic. Hard pedal but practically no braking effect. Ooops!

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#872 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Harlan Halsey wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:25 am I seems that mounting the front cylnders backwards is not quite as uncommon as you would think. I recall hearing of two such instances. I one case the error was not detected until the first practice session. The effect is dramatic. Hard pedal but practically no braking effect. Ooops!
And the rears like to lock up; fun. Better yet when only one side is backward; a bit of pulling to one side; also fun.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#873 Post by Justin Rio »

PM sent Jules.

Its a perfect example of shade tree guys like me putting these old brakes back together improperly then complaining about and maligning the performance of drum brakes. Thanks again for the assembly tip! Justin

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#874 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

Any news on that project ? I always loved following it !
Thanks
Antoine

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#875 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_1511.JPG
Thank you Antione I appreciate you asking about it. Its mothballed at the moment at the back of the shop. I lost my father coming up on a year at the end of this month and so his old 911 is now shoehorned in next to it and the rest of my projects leaving me no room to even work on it. My goal at the moment is just to not dent or scratch the body. As soon as I get that 59 S/R coupe finished up and clean a little more off of my plate I'm hoping to able to get back on it.
Thanks again. Justin

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#876 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

Hi Justin,
Sorry to hear about your loss ! There sure are other priorities then, and space always is an issue! Hope you will be able soon to start again on it !
Bests
Antoine

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#877 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you very much Antione. A tough fact of life that we'll all one day lose our parents. Its a tight fit at the moment but I had to make room for this one to come back.
786.JPG
This was his first Porsche and the one that started it all for him and then for me. Its a '65 build but model year '66 that he bought as the third owner in September of 1966. We almost sold it a few years ago but now that he's gone I am so glad that we did not. Here he is with his pride and joy in about 1969
dads 66 007.JPG
Then this '57 coupe came along in '68. Only shot I have of them both together in around 1973. Anyway, glad to still have both of Dad's old cars for the moment.
Thanks again Antione.

Justin

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#878 Post by Dick Roth »

Justin, I must admit that it’s probably been a very long time since I took even a passing look at your incredibly long series of posts on your 356 Carrera project, but it is truly something to behold. As a person who was fortunate enough to own and restore a genuine 1959 Carrera GT lightweight with a significant racing history in the Tour de France, seeing the details of your efforts are truly impressive. Personally, I was doubly fortunate to have the work done by such premier talents as the late Bill Doyle and the Patarek Brothers. However, I was not merely an interested observer and spent countless hours researching details, both mechanically and aesthetically to produce a result that help me win Peoples Choice and Judges Choice at the Parade in Monterey in 1990. As many people know, this car met what appeared to be its end at the tragic explosion at Road Scholars, but I can say that the present owner, a gentleman living in Amsterdam Holland, has undertaken a years long, spare no expense restoration at Porsche Classic in Gelderland, Netherlands. That work is nearing completion, and I expect to be on hand when it rolls out of the shop, rising like Phoenix from the ashes.
I look forward to continuing to follow your efforts more closely, and to see the final result of your prodigious efforts.
IMG_1824.jpeg

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#879 Post by Justin Rio »

Hey Richard, Thanks for stopping by. Yes, it has gone on too long and I'll probably be gone myself before I ever see it finished but I'm at peace with that. I know your old car well.
message-editor_1583088677889-f59cb7af-c1e3-438c-9b7f-89b73ec41c71.jpg
message-editor_1583088673046-e0b1f2ca-0f48-4c3f-9c40-76b2a96a41f2.jpg
message-editor_1583088688460-f9bc5f51-4666-4970-9af3-26bab5d69c6c.jpg
I snagged these shots of the aftermath when it was at Copart. I didn't doubt for a second that it would be rebuilt. It looks beautiful now BTW. A heavy hitter car like this could have burned down to its axles and the chassis number would still have risen again like the phoenix. This car is immortal both historically and now most certainly physically.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#880 Post by Dick Roth »

At first, I thought it would just buff out…!

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#881 Post by Chris Davis »

Justin Rio wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:12 pm I lost my father coming up on a year at the end of this month and so his old 911 is now shoehorned in next to it and the rest of my projects leaving me no room to even work on it. My goal at the moment is just to not dent or scratch the body.
Justin,
First, sorry for you loss. Two years now for my dad... difficult, even when you know it's coming.

Second, Have you considered a 4 post lift to help with storage? With low cars like Porsche (or a WWII jeep with the windshield down) you can stack them even with <10ft ceiling.
IMG_3306.jpg

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#882 Post by Justin Rio »

A magic polishing wheel maybe." As seen on TV".

Thank you Chris I appreciate that and my condolences to you for your loss as well. I thought about 4 post lift but my ceiling is about as low as yours but this photo proves it is feasible. I will think about for sure. Great Jeep BTW!

Thanks again! Justin.