Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Justin Rio
356 Fan

Re: Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

#211 Post by Justin Rio »

Rear heater tube section finally tacked in for good.
IMG_7548.JPG
Final trimming and hole punching complete.
IMG_7547.JPG
One more thing to do before welding.
IMG_7550.JPG
Inner surfaces slathered in sealer before it goes in. Again, Like the other side, I don't know how much of it will survive after welding but I tried.
IMG_7551.JPG
Begin welding it in. A long road to get just here but its a nice mile marker for sure.

Lower torsion housing cap install:
IMG_7555.JPG
New cap from 18 gauge in basic shape the remains of the original/pattern lying next to it.
IMG_7557.JPG
Tightened up the shape and the corners and now ready to weld on for good.
IMG_7561.JPG
Lap joint detail replicated and gas seam weld continues on from the original section.
IMG_7560.JPG
Its half way in, I'll have to run another seam across the top just under the spring plate studs.
IMG_7562.JPG
A ways yet to go before this closing panel goes on but I wanted to do some checking as its progressing.

Thanks for looking.
Justin

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan
Tag: Project Meister

#212 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

Looking good Justin 👏🏻
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#213 Post by Justin Rio »

Hey thanks Mark. Lots of little pieces to make and make fit together...

Twisted off spring plate bolt removal:
IMG_7563.JPG
Both unfortunately twisted off even with the mount surface. Nipples of weld carefully added to the heads to ensure a good bond before I plug weld on the nuts.
IMG_7564.JPG
Nuts welded on and now ready to add in some torch heat and see if these things will come out.
IMG_7565.JPG
Successfully extracted without destroying the mounts. These where fused in there tighter than a bulls ass, the original bolts had no chance of coming out cold and in one piece. It took several rounds of heat and yielded just a partial turn as it went. They groaned and squeaked with each move but the nuts held on allowing for a successful removal.
IMG_7566.JPG
Began running the final gas welded seam along the top of the new cap and of course before I could finish I ran out of oxygen.
IMG_7567.JPG
Finished this out right after I get back from the welding supply. Onto the next deal...
IMG_7577.JPG
I like to tie the twin bulk heads together to box this unit adding further strength and rigidity to the area for the eventual jack spur to work off of. I'm repurposing a section of this cars original door skin to build the bridge. Love it when I can give original metal a second chance.
IMG_7578.JPG
Trimmed to basic shape with one more detail to add.
IMG_7580.JPG
Plug weld holes and Knockouts punched. This new/old piece ready to go in for good.
IMG_7585.JPG
Most of the seam and plug welding completed at this point. I still have to flip the car upright and finish out the weld along the top of the heater tube relief.
IMG_7584.JPG
Wrapping this portion up next.

Thanks for looking.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#214 Post by Justin Rio »

Rear longitudinal corner repair just about complete.
IMG_7589.JPG
Finished and dressed all the remaining welds on this back corner rebuild. Finished out the gas weld detail along the heater tube joint here. Reaching inner most portion of this joint was tricky.
IMG_7588.JPG
Glad to have this complex area in the done column. Not quite ready to close this up just yet but the remaining repairs won't be quite so involved.
IMG_7591.JPG
With all the heavy lifting back here completed I can now think about reinstalling this bulkhead closing wall.
IMG_7590.JPG
Though the bottom inner corner is rusted, the rest of it is still solid. Repairing and prepping this piece for reinstallation next.
IMG_7607.JPG
Repair section added onto the rear closing wall with a just a couple of small holes to back fill. Soaking it in acid to clean up the rust along the edges.
IMG_7613.JPG
Moving towards the front while that soaks by stitching up this long flange run.
IMG_7614.JPG
The run all stitched together at last with only some weld clean up remaining.
IMG_7597.JPG
Onto the next deal. Begin cutting away the door well pan area.
IMG_7598.JPG
Looking to save as much original metal as possible so I'm peeling the rot away in stages.
IMG_7602.JPG
First cut just to expose the remains of the inner most closing wall.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#215 Post by Justin Rio »

Door well cutting:
IMG_7606.JPG
remains of the door well tray's floor removed.
IMG_7605.JPG
The outer most closing walls lower flange survived for the most part and I wanted to keep the option to save as much as possible for now.
IMG_7634.JPG
Lateral portion of the splash pan was damaged and bent in some time in the distant past so I'm pulling that out as best as I can but the relief shapes make it tricky.
IMG_7636.JPG
I'm going to save a good portion of the inner vertical wall right down to the edge but both corners of it will need repair.
IMG_7644.JPG
Outer corner repair completed.
IMG_7647.JPG
Repairs to the inner corner will be done after the lower flange run repairs to the chassis it attaches to are complete. The final lateral outer closing wall with flange that laps over this repair won't be installed until after the new longitudinal panel is fully welded in. This leaves me more access to weld and dress this flanged attachment point.
IMG_7649.JPG
I initially wanted to save as much of this closing wall as possible but there are pockets of rot at its flange that put an end to that plan.
IMG_7650.JPG
I'll cut just above that lifted section.
IMG_7652.JPG
That portion now removed leaving me only one more cut along the trays vertical wall to get past the remaining rot.
IMG_7656.JPG
Touched bottom down in here. I had to cut just a touch higher for a clean simple joint but building up from here.

thanks for looking.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#216 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7663.JPG
Not exactly ready to close this up yet but trial fitments of the outer panel are beginning.
IMG_7662.JPG
So far so good with a tight fit against the bulkheads all the while not crowding out the upper mounting flange of this new piece.
IMG_7664.JPG
Some flange adjustment as it goes for sure but pretty close for the first try.
IMG_7674.JPG
Before I finish up the door well area I'm heading up front to cut out and clean up the remaining flange run of the chassis.
IMG_7675.JPG
Trying to stay as low with the cut as I can.
IMG_7676.JPG
Going to save as much of this original lateral reinforcement as I can; just like the other side.
IMG_7677.JPG
Last of the deep advanced rot up here exposed and removed.
IMG_7678.JPG
No more cutting back on this forward corner of the chassis. Building up from here.
IMG_7680.JPG
back to the inner flange repair sections. Next section tacked and trimmed to carry on the original lap joint lines.
IMG_7682.JPG
New section stitched and now ready to cap or bridge that delta relief.
Thanks for looking.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#217 Post by Martin Benade »

Is that galvanized metal? The white “smoke stains” look like how that acts when welded.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#218 Post by Justin Rio »

It is Martin. The standard galvannealed perimeter kit offered by R.D. You don't want to inhale that white smoke either as you probably know. When I do long runs like that I have fan going behind me to take it away. I do the same when I'm applying lead solder.
IMG_7684.JPG
New cap ready to be welded in. Then onto the final most forward flange section.
IMG_7685.JPG
This last section runs slightly wider than the rest of the perimeter so its being cut from this wider stock.
IMG_7686.JPG
Just under a quarter inch wider than the rest of the standard offering flange run.
IMG_7688.JPG
New section cut to basic length and width. Now onto adding the curved contour.
IMG_7689.JPG
Started making the turn with a stretcher die.
IMG_7690.JPG
But the flange is wider and the metal is 18 gauge so I could only get so much. Some torch heat was needed to take it the rest of the way.
IMG_7691.JPG
Before the lateral flange goes on its much easier and cleaner to weld in and complete the forward bulkhead wall repair first.
IMG_7693.JPG
Initial rough fitments begin to get it all to eventually fit together and with the chassis itself. The flange really limits access to the outer corner of the bulkhead wall which is why it will go on after the repairs are complete.
IMG_7694.JPG
Lots of fine trimming and repeated test fits as it goes.
IMG_7697.JPG
Before the new bulkhead flange could be installed I had to straighten out the toe board bracket which much like the other side was all curled over and bent to hell.

Thanks for looking.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#219 Post by Justin Rio »

Bulkhead flange repair:
IMG_7702.JPG
Staged trimming and improved fitment of both new pieces continued. Ready to commit and make the final cut to bulkhead flange.
IMG_7703.JPG
New flange tacked into position.
IMG_7705.JPG
A long one, but this Joint all stitched up.
IMG_7706.JPG
Dressed and gone over one more time with some torch heat to ensure a thorough meld. I find lots of small sections where the joint wasn't completely bonded. This ensures a thorough meld. Welding up the center of it next and adding in a new flange overlap detail for that factory extension cover.
IMG_7707.JPG
Center welded back up with overlap flange detail added.
IMG_7709.JPG
Forward bulk wall repairs completed. Now the remaining flange section can be installed.
IMG_7712.JPG
plug welding and stitching it in. Same as with the other side the stitching will stop for now right at the bulkhead until I have the front beam pulled out and reset.
IMG_7715.JPG
Bulkhead flange relief cut to bring it down a few MM's to more closely match the height of the original. Same was done to the other side.
IMG_7716.JPG
Perimeter repairs to accept a new floor is all but complete save for a small section on the left side of the rear seat pan. A step closer to getting this longitudinal section closed up.

Thanks for looking.
Justin

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#220 Post by Martin Benade »

What do you mean by pulling out and resetting the front beam? Some aligning is needed, or total removal and reinstsllation?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#221 Post by Justin Rio »

There was some deformation in the panel behind the beam on the right side so it had shifted slightly from its last wreck. I left everything between the forward bulkhead and the beam loose for now until I had integrity built back into the chassis behind the beam before trying any correction pulling. Didn't want add any strength to that mid area at this point so I didn't join the new flange runs until after the beam was reset. Justin

Installing rear closing wall:
IMG_7720.JPG
Refitting the of the original rear closing wall.
IMG_7722.JPG
Tacked pretty much back into its original spot.
IMG_7724.JPG
Thought I was going to get away without having to repair lower seal channel but as I prepped and cleaned the area a couple small chunks fell away; Not surprised...
IMG_7725.JPG
New closing panel fits down between closing walls very well.
IMG_7729.JPG
Wall seam welded back in as it was originally.
IMG_7731.JPG
Metal repairs to the rear longitudinal area are now complete. Once its cleaned and sealed in primer and paint it's all ready to close up back here.
IMG_7732.JPG
Went over the forward weld joint with some heat to ensure a thorough fusion between the two.
IMG_7733.JPG
Then it was onto grinding and cleaning up the inside for a final finish.
IMG_7735.JPG
Last bit of this long weld joint just about leveled. Lap joint details replicated as before.
IMG_7750.JPG
Just before the door well tray was tacked in for good. Trimming around the edge to get both it and the new cap to mate up.
Thanks for looking.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#222 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7749.JPG
Once they fit together then it was onto set screwing the cap into its final position.
IMG_7753.JPG
Begin laying down the screws working from the center outward.
IMG_7752.JPG
I'll etch in the final trim line to the leading edge to remove the excess and will also have to add back in were it came up short at the back corner.
IMG_7754.JPG
Removing the cap one last time to trim and punch in the plug weld holes then paint and seal the inner cavity. A little prep work to go but getting very close to capping this area for the final time.
IMG_7775.JPG
Before the cap goes on I had to get the outer door well wall installed first. Paper template flipped over and reused from the other side.
IMG_7777.JPG
Basic part in steel with the original on the right. Final trimming and set screwing next.
IMG_7784.JPG
Finished out the seam along the new pan. Presentation not as clean as I'd like it to be but access is very limited down in there. Looks aside it's more important that its securely welded which it seems to be.
IMG_7786.JPG
New closing section set screwed into its best adjusted position.
IMG_7787.JPG
Next will be adding in the plug weld holes along the bottom to attach the walls flange. I couldn't close this longitudinal up until this welding is complete. In the old days I plug welded from the top side but the area is so tight that I couldn't dress the heads of welds thoroughly. This approach solves that issue.
IMG_7783.JPG
Same with the vertical flange runs. Plug welds will be added and dressed on this side rather than trying to get to the other side if this same area down deep into the door well.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#223 Post by Justin Rio »

Longitudinal prep for final installation:
IMG_7788.JPG
Final trimming and fitment of the new lower wall section.
IMG_7789.JPG
Area drilled and all prepped for the walls final install.
IMG_7791.JPG
Just had to apply some epoxy to seal out this corner before I close it up. Installing the wall next.
IMG_7794.JPG
Plug welding of the lower inner door well flange wall finished.
IMG_7796.JPG
A long road but this completes all the internal repairs to the left longitudinal cavity. All ready to clean and prep it for epoxy and a final coat of paint.
IMG_7800.JPG
Epoxy coat nearly finished with the welding surfaces back masked.
IMG_7799.JPG
A small section added to the back of the closing panel where it was short. Then I can seal the inside surface.
IMG_7803.JPG
Inner cavity and surfaces in a final coat of black.
IMG_7801.JPG
Now, finally ready to close this up for good.
IMG_7804.JPG
But first a few more holes to add before it went on.
Closing this cavity up next.

Thanks for looking.

Justin

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#224 Post by Chris Davis »

All those plug weld holes... what do you use, hand or pneumatic punch? (And I suspect you just have to drill a bunch of them because the punch won't reach?)

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#225 Post by Justin Rio »

All three of those Chris and yes just a good old fashioned drill when the hole placement is too deep for the jaws to reach.

Installed for the final time.
IMG_7806.JPG
Synched back down with screws with a few holes to back fill.
IMG_7807.JPG
Begin plug welding working from the center outward.
IMG_7808.JPG
To break up the monotony of grinding I'd do a run of plugs and grind them flush before continuing on.
IMG_7810.JPG
Rear plug weld run completed with initial seam weld along the back edge.
IMG_7811.JPG
tedious chore of weld leveling completed. Going over the rear seam weld with my torch to finish out the area.
IMG_7816.JPG
torch weld detail completed.
IMG_7819.JPG
Repeated the cycle to finish out the remaining forward run.
IMG_7820.JPG
Torch weld detail completed at the corner of the splash pan and longitudinal to replicate what was there originally. Moving down the sides and then onto the threshold plug weld run to finish this installation up.
IMG_7827.JPG
Welding down the front and across the door well flange complete.
IMG_7823.JPG
Then the plug welds down the backside cap. Flanged edges will stay raw since this is a T2. T1's would be fused together originally.

Thanks for looking.

Justin