Car Lift

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

Re: Car Lift

#31 Post by Thomas Sottile »

I had a Kwick-Lift for 30 years it is not made anymore the allowed you to get the car off the ground 24” or so great for a limited over head space i just sold it

Ron Hollins
356 Fan

#32 Post by Ron Hollins »

What would be a recommended 4 post lift to allow one to work on a 356 if ceiling height was not a consideration?

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#33 Post by Steve Douglas »

Ron Hollins, If you plan on using the lift to do work on a car, and not store a car on the lift, then go to a two post. The four post are hard to get to many parts of the car, try to get all four wheels off at the same time. Many are two narrow to fit a 356 well, engines won't fit thru the opening, almost impossible to pull a transaxle out on a four post. If you need to stack cars on a lift then yes a four post is the only way that is safe. Bendpac seems to be the quality.

Richard Westlake
356 Fan

#34 Post by Richard Westlake »

I have an Advantage 9000 four post lift that I am extremely pleased with. When I built my retirement shop I did a great deal of research on lifts, and Advantage as a company and its products stood out. I was done crawling around on the floor, so I ruled out two post lifts as you have to position the arms with each lift. I just drive up onto mine. I don’t use it as a storage lift, and I can use the rolling jack tray to access anything that needs work. My engine fits between the ramps with muffler intact. Oh, and it’s one of the few certified lifts which gives me additional peace of mind. Highly recommended; no affiliation.
Rich Westlake
'63 T6 S-90 Coupe #124872
Member #3488
Rhode Island

Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

#35 Post by Marcus van Bers »

If you are thinking about a 2 post lift, make sure you know what concrete you have in the floor. Strength, thickness and if it's reinforced (wire mesh or rebar). I don't know if I would trust fibre reinforced because the fibres aren't that long. The manufacturer can give you the concrete specs. A four post doesn't need to be bolted to the floor. In fact you can move the lift around while you have a car on it.
63 B Karmann Coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#36 Post by Dave Erickson »

Marcus van Bers wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:37 am A four post doesn't need to be bolted to the floor. In fact you can move the lift around while you have a car on it.
Unless you are in earthquake country. Then you need to bolt it to the floor *and* secure the post tops to a nearby wall.

Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

#37 Post by Marcus van Bers »

Dave Erickson wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:55 am
Marcus van Bers wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:37 am A four post doesn't need to be bolted to the floor. In fact you can move the lift around while you have a car on it.
Unless you are in earthquake country. Then you need to bolt it to the floor *and* secure the post tops to a nearby wall.
If you are concerned about earthquakes then you also need to strap the car to the lift.
63 B Karmann Coupe