New California classic car survey

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Brian R Adams
356 Fan

Re: New California classic car survey

#466 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:12 pm The wind lobby flexing their muscles
They need more muscle to flex.
-
sources.jpg
-
If world electricity consumption was not expanding dramatically (and predicted to accelerate, owing to the AI revolution) wind and solar might hope to keep pace. Well, no they still couldn't. Because terawatt-hours produced do not reflect the utility of the source. Intermittent sources don't measure up to baseload sources in their value to society.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#467 Post by Bill Lawless »

I watched this news series not long ago with a panel of Engineers, Scientists, Power Grid workers etc. And it was about all the MIS-INFORMATION that people are generation and believing...
They went from through each point in detail in the EV market, Solar, Wind, and debunked that point of misinformed information out there..
So, it's very hard to know who to believe.. ?? It depends on your mindset when searching for info...
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#468 Post by Martin Benade »

Bill, I agree that this is frequently the case. Some of what Brian and I just posted was from a legitimate government source
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#469 Post by Brian R Adams »

Bill Lawless wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:20 am I watched this news series not long ago with a panel of Engineers, Scientists, Power Grid workers etc. And it was about all the MIS-INFORMATION that people are generation and believing...
They went from through each point in detail in the EV market, Solar, Wind, and debunked that point of misinformed information out there..
So, it's very hard to know who to believe.. ?? It depends on your mindset when searching for info...
If you have a link to a video of that panel discussion, I will watch it.

I'd be obliged to anyone pointing out any data I present here (nearly always attributed) which could be labeled "disinformation". Are the Energy Information Agency or Our World In Data (for two examples) disreputable organs?
-

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#470 Post by Martin Benade »

I find those reputable. I trust the EIA being a legit government source, the same reason some would not trust it. A similar answer for Our World in Data, it’s based on science and facts, things that certain parties find meaningless
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#471 Post by Larry Brooks »

Much of this supposed controversy reminds me of a similar debate several decades ago involving the dangers/health benefits of tobacco. "Doctors" and "scientists" touted how beneficial cigarettes were and minimized the health risks. Anyone remember who was behind all of the smoke and mirrors? Big tobacco's very future was on the line and they paid to confuse what was a very simple fact - cigarettes, cigars and other tobacco products will impact your health and even kill you. They hired two big Madison Avenue PR firms to create this confusion in the minds of the public. They succeeded in slowing public awareness for a time.

See any similarities to the current situation? Just multiply the stakes by several times to grasp the impact on Big Energy. Yes, their future is on the line and they are fighting to protect it in any way they can. Creating confusion in the minds of the public through half truths and mis-information is nothing new.

Anyone care to guess which two PR firms are at the forefront of this new campaign of smoke and mirrors? Here's one:

Both industries hired public relations company Hill & Knowlton Inc. for outreach as early as 1956.

Theodor Sterling, a mathematics professor known for research on smoking that was favorable to the tobacco industry—Philip Morris paid more than $200,000 for his work—also studied lead in gasoline for Ethyl Corp. in 1962. Ethyl was a joint venture between General Motors Corp. and Standard Oil. Guess what his position was on the health risk versus benefits of lead in gasoline discussions.

The oil and tobacco firms are using not only the same PR firms and same research institutes, but many of the same "researchers".
Last edited by Larry Brooks on Fri May 24, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#472 Post by Brian R Adams »

"Isn't it pretty to think so."
-

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#473 Post by Larry Brooks »

Brian R Adams wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:19 pm "Isn't it pretty to think so."
-
Great EH line, but context is beyond a bit of a reach here ;) .

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#474 Post by Martin Benade »

And EH means what?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#475 Post by Larry Brooks »

Hemingway.
Last line of "The Sun Also Rises".
Last edited by Larry Brooks on Sun May 26, 2024 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#476 Post by Martin Benade »

Thank you. I’m ignant.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#477 Post by Bill Lawless »

very good points Larry..
It's funny how test data will always turn out in favor of how they want it to..
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#478 Post by Martin Benade »

It doesn’t necessarily, but all too often it’s made to do that
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#479 Post by Brian R Adams »

Bill Lawless wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:10 pm It's funny how test data will always turn out in favor of how they want it to..
That cuts both ways, of course. (See my signature.)
-

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#480 Post by Brian R Adams »

Update on Hertz' EV debacle (From TheStreet.com):

Since January, Hertz has been aggressively offloading Teslas at the nationwide average price of roughly $25,000, according to CNBC. Earlier this year in a regulatory filing, Hertz said, “expenses related to collision and damage, primarily associated with EV, remained high.” In the first quarter, Hertz took a $195 million write-down for depreciation of its EVs.

Hertz’s shifting attitude towards Tesla and EVs in general comes amid a slump in demand for these energy-friendly models. The price tag for a used EV plunged nearly 32 percent in March compared to a year ago, according to iSeeCars, led by a 29 percent drop for a used Tesla. Compare that to a minor 3.6 percent drop for the average used car during the same period.

-