Covering engine grilles for washing?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Boland
356 Fan

Covering engine grilles for washing?

#1 Post by Michael Boland »

I am writing to see if anyone has found a good way to cover 356 engine grills to prevent large amounts of water and soap from getting into the engine compartment when washing your car (foam cannon, pressure washer).

Thanks in advance!
- Michael
Single Family 1964 C Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Covering engine grilles for washing?

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Michael, I never worried about it but I wash my car very infrequently since it has a good coat of wax. For clean up, i use detail spray. That said, maybe open the deck lid and use a large plastic trash bag to cover the opening the close the lid. Some water will get in but not like it was uncovered.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#3 Post by Tom Keating »

Because I have a Leitz rack,I use 2 small towels,one on each grille plus one across the top to stop water.
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Douglas »

Michael, To answer your question when I wash my Porsches, I use a sheet of heavy clear plastic to cover the engine, keeping 90% of the water off. Enough to keep most water spots from drying on the shrouds and parts.

In my opinion you should never use high pressure water or solution on any old car. Pressure washing can force dirt and water into places where rust lurks or will grow: inside the doors, inner fender panels, where panels are lapped, are examples on a 356. Take a look at the American cars from the 50-70s, under the hood and trunk lids, inner structure is unpainted and have lapped joints, most are rusty.
Doing the pressure wash, soap cannon and pressure rinse is basically what the self serve car washes have used for years. I see the detail guys pressure washing the car, hitting the inner fenders, and body with high pressure, followed by a foam soap cannon, and pressure wash rinse. Fine for a new car that is rust protected and half plastic, not so for a mostly steel bodied cars.
I wash my older cars with a low pressure hose nozzle, followed by hand washing with good car wash soap, the rinse again low pressure, followed by a unpressurized rinse, straight from the hose end, that will create a sheeting action, where a majority of the water slides off. For my truck I do use the pressure washer and foam cannon for a quick clean up, as it gets a lot of mud and dirt, but still do the hand wash at least once a month.
Also, I see a lot of detail shops using a decontamination spray, goes on amber turns purple where it contacts iron particles. Looks a lot like a diluted "Rust Mort, or Pro Form Rust remover". which as Phosphoric Acid based. Those need to be washed or wiped clean and the protected from further rust. I have wondered about the decontamination sprays, if it's an acid base? If so what damage can it do if left on base aluminum or magnesium? Many Porsches have both metals uncoated, engine and transmission cases, manifolds, 911 fans, and earlier 356 have bare aluminum trim. Just wondering....

Michael Pawelek
356 Fan

#5 Post by Michael Pawelek »

Don’t get in a hurry and drape a plastic garbage bag over a warm engine. I swear it didn’t feel that warm to the touch……😊

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

👍😜

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Pete Lenzini
356 Fan

#7 Post by Pete Lenzini »

I have an old, large terry cloth bath towel that I cover the engine with, carb to carb. It soaks up most of what gets through the vents and any excess around the edges on the engine compartment floor wipes up easily.

Pete
'64 356 SC
'14 Carrera S

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jay Darlington »

If and when i wash my 356 (i haven't yet with only about 1500mi.) i usually just dry wipe it with Meguiars Quik Detailer. if i wash with soap and water i'll just lift the engine lid wash the underside, and hose out the engine compartment, then wipe and or blow it dry. its a dust trap. mine allready as a coating of dust, the water won't hurt anything. Jay D. https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-A3332-Q ... gNz1hlV-L4
jay darlington

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#9 Post by Thomas Sottile »

what happens when it rains

Michael Pawelek
356 Fan

#10 Post by Michael Pawelek »

Don’t think anyone is referring to rain or gentle spraying water when washing. It’s more foam cannons and pressure washers….