Assembling a 547

Discussion of 4-Cam Type 547 engines (and all the Fuhrmann racing variants) and cars that powered them.
Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Assembling a 547

#1 Post by Harlan Halsey »

These days Carrera mechanics are thin on the ground. A friend called to ask about assembling an engine which his mechanic had had to abandon due to old age and illness. Starting with an assembled crank case and cylinder heads with valves, here's one way:
Rotate the flywheel to TDC. A and D gears to their assembly marks.
Torque on cylinder head
Drop in the long cam drive shaft, Aim pinion mark toward exhaust cam gear.
Install the cross shaft.
Drop in exhaust cam with timing marks aligned. Be very careful of the very thin end float shims. It won't go in because a lobe will try to depress a valve.
Rotate the crank via the flywheel simultaneously with the cam to a position where both lobes clear the valve stems and drop it in all the way.
Rotate the crank back to TDC and note that the timing marks are all now aligned.
Repeat with the intake cam. (The cam drive gears "hunt" they are all aligned only every-I forget, 19?-crank rotations.)
Now install mid-size valve stem caps and drag levers, using Doyle tool. Adjust valve clearance. If not within spec, 4 deg, change the valve stem caps as described in the Carrera Manual to get within spec. If you can't get within spec, move the alignment tooth. Each tooth gives 4 deg. Erase and re- do the alignment marks.

It is not possible to remove a Carrera head with the engine at TDC. Because the valve spring force will rotate the valve train and the alignment will be lost. However, Carrera mechanics know that the engine can be rotated to a position where the force on the cam lobes is minimal, and the train won't rotate when the head is pulled.
One year at the MHAR the Bruce Jennings Carrera Speedster, driven by Bob Garretson, needed a head gasket change. The owner borrowed my floor jack, and while we were out to dinner, pulled the engine and changed the head gasket. It took him about 4 hours, 5-9PM. Next day, Bob was a little faster in the Speedster than I was in my Carrera coupe. Those were the days....

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

Re: Assembling a 547

#2 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

32 revolutions

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Harlan
Peter Pohl has written a book on the subject. I have issues with some of the techniques just like with our mentor Jim W. it should be mandatory reading for the neophyte just to appreciate the task.
j

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#4 Post by Bill Sargent »

+1 on reading the Phol book as well as the Heinrichs Carrera book.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Harlan Halsey wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:40 am These days Carrera mechanics are thin on the ground.
Still miss Gerry.
Attachments
gerry904.jpg
gerry-today.JPG
Gerry.jpg
Bruce and Gerry.jpg
gerrymenew.jpg
gerry-eng.jpg
gerry-eng.jpg (209.77 KiB) Viewed 738 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Perrin
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Jim Perrin »

Adam
Those are wonderful photos of Gerry, thanks for posting them. Gerry was a very skilled mechanic on all kinds of engines, including the four cam engines. He was the one who rebuilt my 550 Spyder engine. You might be surprised to learn that Gerry was once fired from his job as a mechanic. Gerry told me the story of getting married to his wife Kay as a young man, renting an apartment in New York City, and very shortly after getting married going to work for the famous foreign car dealership J. S .Inskip. At the end of the third day, he was called in and fired as they said his work was not up to their expectations. Needless to say he was very surprised! Some years later he was talking to an individual who had been in management at Inskip at the same time ---- He then told Gerry the real reason was that he had been fired was that he had been seen talking to so-and-so someplace outside of work, and that person had helped form a union at another company!
Jim Perrin

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim Perrin wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:01 am Adam
Those are wonderful photos of Gerry, thanks for posting them. Gerry was a very skilled mechanic on all kinds of engines, including the four cam engines. He was the one who rebuilt my 550 Spyder engine. You might be surprised to learn that Gerry was once fired from his job as a mechanic. Gerry told me the story of getting married to his wife Kay as a young man, renting an apartment in New York City, and very shortly after getting married going to work for the famous foreign car dealership J. S .Inskip. At the end of the third day, he was called in and fired as they said his work was not up to their expectations. Needless to say he was very surprised! Some years later he was talking to an individual who had been in management at Inskip at the same time ---- He then told Gerry the real reason was that he had been fired was that he had been seen talking to so-and-so someplace outside of work, and that person had helped form a union at another company!
He was also fired from the dealer as the service manager. Ironically, it was a blessing because he went on to open his own shop which he had until he retired.
You won't see another Gerry anytime soon.
Attachments
gerry-shop.jpg
gerry-shop.jpg (167.42 KiB) Viewed 638 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dick Roth »

Gerry was indeed a great guy and a true gentleman. I particularly appreciated the photograph of him with Herb Wetanson and his 904, with which he won the Saturday part (under 2 liters) of the Double 500 at Bridgehampton in 1965. I guess at this point it’s no secret that Herb quietly helped finance Gerry’s shop and called on his talents for many years.