Carrera oil filter - adaptor for spin on filter

Discussion of 4-Cam Type 547 engines (and all the Fuhrmann racing variants) and cars that powered them.
Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: Carrera oil filter - adaptor for spin on filter

#61 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Bill Sargent wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:34 pm Hi Harlan - actually the hard part is the oil filter top - if it is sand cast and machined per original. The costs to make the mold, cast and machine plus source the parts for the pressure relief are prohibitive for the anticipated future sales.

Making them totally CNC would be relatively easy and cost effective, but the part no longer looks original.
Bill,
Couldn't the CNC'd part be media blasted to make it look like the casting? Ron Chuck has repaired Carrera cases so that you can't detect the weld.

I am disappointed that you have been left holding the bag on the bottom parts. I read those orders as they were posted and was surprised that a few ordered as many as 5. But it never crossed my mind that all the orders would not be honored.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#62 Post by Joris Koning »

Jacques, sent you an email on my order. Be great if I can pick up at the lit show
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#63 Post by Bill Sargent »

Hi Harlan - Jacques has been left holding the “bag”. After Rainer expressed a desire for the parts to be US made Jacques stepped up and had them made on his CNC machine - and honored the price I quoted to have them made in China. They are on his Klasse 356 website.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#64 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

The reason Porsche used this "filter was so you could examine it for any motor problems. This common on all Porsche race cars in including the 910 which I had a lot of experirnce with. Alan The Stable.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#65 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Alan
you are correct and this is why Rainer and Bill want to offer it as a substitute for the Wellington/Corvair version.

Nigel Cousins
356 Fan

#66 Post by Nigel Cousins »

Hi Bill, Jacques & Rainer,
just wanted to say thank you for taking the time and the excellent engineering to recreate/ upgrade the filter assembly.
I swopped out the Fram PH4 and the new parts fitted perfectly.
IMG_3095.jpeg
IMG_3096 3.jpeg
Best Nigel

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#67 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Replacing the PH4 With the Original type filter is a retrograde step from the performance point of view, not an "upgrade" even with the Rainer Cooney improvement. The original looks, well, original that's all. Chuck Forge, not Jim Wellington, adapted the Corvair filter simply because it offered much better filtration. There has been a special "can opener" to check the spin on filter elements for visible particles for a long time. There used to be a tree in Forge's yard with race car filter elements hanging out to dry.

Rainer Cooney
356 Fan

#68 Post by Rainer Cooney »

With more than twice the filtering area of a stock screen I'd think the "tiny" Mahle elements for use in Bill's filter housings should be enough. Just how much crud do you allow between oil changes on a 4-cam ?

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#69 Post by Bill Sargent »

Rainer - it depends on how bad the motor blows up. :lol: :lol:

Harlan purchased the larger 904 filter bowl to have the larger Mahle filter. Although I suspect neither would do much in the blown-up motor situation. :(
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#70 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I always thought the purpose of an oil filter was to protect the next engine from the last blow up. By the time you see particles in the filter it's usually too late for this engine.