Temporary Paint for a Logo on an Original Paint VW Single Cab

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Temporary Paint for a Logo on an Original Paint VW Single Cab

#1 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

I have a paint question for you all if you don't mind. I reached out to a body shop owner on here but have not heard back so I figured I would also ask the group. Some of you may recall I purchased a '66 single cab VW last year with intentions of putting my business logo on it. For several reasons I really don't want it on there permanently. There are a handful of events each year that I would like it to attend with a logo but otherwise I don't want it on there the rest of the time.

While I know I can cut some vinyl and just remove it afterwards but I know I won't like the look of it. I was hoping there was some sort of temporary paint I could use instead. The logo is a fairly simple, one color logo so I think I could jut use a stencil.

What I worry about is etching or permanently marking the original paint. By chance does anyone you know of any kind of removable paint product that might work? The logo would only be on there a day or two at a time.

I have seen this type of paint online:

https://www.montanacolors.com/en/produc ... int-400ml/

The Data Sheet had this info, which is mostly encouraging:

Fast drying.- Does not contain lead nor other heavy metals.- Removable with water.- Excellent covering power.- Low odor. (Smell of alcohol).- Easy to apply.- Varnished.- Once dry does not smudge.- Outdoor applications may last between hours to weeks, depending on weather conditions. To prolong the longevity of this product, avoid contact with water or moisture. For greater durability, varnish may be applied.- Removability or cleaning will depend on the porosity of the surface. Surfaces with low porosity will be easy to clean with water. Porous surfaces may be more difficult to clean, requiring water as well as scrubbing when a pressure washer is not available.- Due to the variety of porous surfaces with varying textures, Montana Colors can’t guarantee that surfaces can be cleaned completely. We recommend doing a test on the same surface, prior to painting.- Due to its environmentally friendly chemical nature, it is suitable for application on natural surfaces (plants, trees, grass, rocks, etc.)- Water used to remove the product can be disposed of in drainage systems, and its filtration into the ground will not cause contamination.- Non-toxic.

Any paint experts out there that can help? Many thanks in advance.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

Re: Temporary Paint for a Logo on an Original Paint VW Single Cab

#2 Post by Marcus van Bers »

Sebastian, have you thought about a vinyl logo on a magnetic sheet? I had a '51 Studebaker pickup and wanted to put our vineyard logo on the doors. I had originally thought to use vinyl but I figured it would be a pain if I ever wanted to remove them. I spoke to the company that made the vinyl sheets and they said they could put a magnetic backing on the logo. I then would just stick the logo on the doors when I wanted to use the truck in a work related capacity and removed them when not. Worked really well.
63 B Karmann Coupe

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#3 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Marcus van Bers wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:11 pm Sebastian, have you thought about a vinyl logo on a magnetic sheet? I had a '51 Studebaker pickup and wanted to put our vineyard logo on the doors. I had originally thought to use vinyl but I figured it would be a pain if I ever wanted to remove them. I spoke to the company that made the vinyl sheets and they said they could put a magnetic backing on the logo. I then would just stick the logo on the doors when I wanted to use the truck in a work related capacity and removed them when not. Worked really well.
Hi Marcus, thank you for that idea. I will probably go that route if I cannot find a safe temporary paint, but temporary paint is my top choice if I can find it.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

Hi. Sorry I didn’t email you. I’d try spray can paint on a piece of metal or a beer can. After it’s been on for a day or two see if lacquer thinner washes it right off. It probably will. If you find a good easily washable paint, next experiment on your truck. I’d expect lacquer thinner probably would have little effect on such well cured paint. In your test you might have a bit of color physically rub off on your rag, but if it’s dissolving you’ll know it. Also make sure the solvent doesn’t noticeably discolor the old paint, but I doubt if it will.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:07 pm Hi. Sorry I didn’t email you. I’d try spray can paint on a piece of metal or a beer can. After it’s been on for a day or two see if lacquer thinner washes it right off. It probably will. If you find a good easily washable paint, next experiment on your truck. I’d expect lacquer thinner probably would have little effect on such well cured paint. In your test you might have a bit of color physically rub off on your rag, but if it’s dissolving you’ll know it. Also make sure the solvent doesn’t noticeably discolor the old paint, but I doubt if it will.

Excellent, thank you Martin I appreciate that very much. I will try that and if it appears to be safe look for it at the Stoddard meet.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Sounds good. I’ll be there!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

What about a washable water-based hobby paint?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#8 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:07 pm Hi. Sorry I didn’t email you. I’d try spray can paint on a piece of metal or a beer can. After it’s been on for a day or two see if lacquer thinner washes it right off. It probably will. If you find a good easily washable paint, next experiment on your truck. I’d expect lacquer thinner probably would have little effect on such well cured paint. In your test you might have a bit of color physically rub off on your rag, but if it’s dissolving you’ll know it. Also make sure the solvent doesn’t noticeably discolor the old paint, but I doubt if it will.
Martin, one more question if you will, when you say "spray can paint" are you referring to the type that I linked to previously like this? https://www.montanacolors.com/en/produc ... int-400ml/
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

Yes that sounds particularly suitable.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#10 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Excellent, thanks so much Martin. See you in June.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

I’ll be there. Will the temp-logoed pickup be there?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#12 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Martin Benade wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:39 pm I’ll be there. Will the temp-logoed pickup be there?
That is the plan. I will now get the paint and try it on some scrap metal and then apply the lacquer thinner. If that goes well then I'll have the stencil made and give it a try.

Thanks again and we'll see how it goes.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

That paint you linked to is water based so water or windex should remove it. That should leave the old paint unharmed.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#14 Post by Phil Planck »

Also, Plasticoat spray comes in various colors and should peel off without harming paint.
Phil Planck

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#15 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Phil Planck wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:45 pm Also, Plasticoat spray comes in various colors and should peel off without harming paint.
Thanks Phil, I will look into that as well.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe