'55 Speedster Tach

For Pre A discussions and questions
Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

'55 Speedster Tach

#1 Post by Dan Kalinski »

This gauge works but now has developed and intermittent howl and a fair amount of vibration.

Bad bushing? Needs lubrication where the cable fits the gromet? Lubrication elsewhere on the interior of the Tach? Tach cable?

Know the unit can be sent to PA Or NH for referb but don't want to wait for months to get it back. If this is the only recourse, will wait until winter.

Thanks again for your help.

Dan K.

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: '55 Speedster Tach

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Dan

Mine did that about a year ago on the drive up to Roger’s. It was a build up of dry/hard grease just inside the instrument. It was at the base between the barrel and the threaded portion. I cleaned it out with a dental pick and WD-40. Clean inside the threaded portion, where the tach cable screws on.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Kalinski »

John Brooks wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:39 pm Dan

Mine did that about a year ago on the drive up to Roger’s. It was a build up of dry/hard grease just inside the instrument. It was at the base between the barrel and the threaded portion. I cleaned it out with a dental pick and WD-40. Clean inside the threaded portion, where the tach cable screws on.
Thanks, John.

Taking a look at it tomorrow. Always something.....

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Kalinski »

what are the experts recommending for the type of lubricant on the axle and the brass bushing?

Thanks!