Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Justin Rio
356 Fan

Re: Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

#196 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7334.JPG
Last of the rusted out remains in this corner finally cleaned out.
IMG_7335.JPG
With that I Finally touched bottom here. No more cutting only building back up.
IMG_7336.JPG
Slowly trimming the new piece to final shape. Remnant flange section installed to establish the correct height needed for the eventual lap joint at the front there.
IMG_7341.JPG
One final test mock up with what I have to make sure its all going to fit right.
IMG_7339.JPG
Trimmed and finally tacked in. The corner flange will be left loose for now so I can slide the eventual kick panel flange replacement underneath it.
IMG_7373.JPG
Moved from paper to steel.
IMG_7374.JPG
This standard flange repair section is a little short for this repair so I'll have add a strip on to increase its vertical reach up front here.
IMG_7375.JPG
Some torch heat and a wire brush was used to clean up the rust and scale as best as I can.
IMG_7379.JPG
finished seam welding the inner wall and added the needed strip to this next repair section.
IMG_7380.JPG
Installing this piece next. This photo shows exactly why I wanted get the welding done on interior wall section in first.

Thanks for looking.
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#197 Post by Justin Rio »

Most inner flange panel installed.
IMG_7400.JPG
Working outward from here.
IMG_7401.JPG
Two vertical walls down with three more layers to go.
IMG_7402.JPG
Now its onto this heavy gauge flange that is actually part of the torsion tubes end housing/face here.
IMG_7403.JPG
As you can see after some time in the acid bath its too thin and compromised to reinstall.
IMG_7404.JPG
Rummaging through my scrap pile for a nice piece of heavier 16 gauge.
IMG_7405.JPG
New torsion housing lower flange section. Rounded up a nice little strip of 16 gauge. Basic Lower flange in at this point.
IMG_7406.JPG
To get the right flange profile shape I had to relief cut it and fold it individually. Planning my next cuts for shaping here. I knew I was going to come a little short on that lower tip but I figured I'd add it back in later.
IMG_7407.JPG
Cutting and rolling in the needed shape. Slowly getting there.
IMG_7408.JPG
As expected I came up a little short on that neck section so I'll just add a small piece onto the end of it.
IMG_7409.JPG
Section added, now completing my little bird shape. Some minor shape tweaking will still be needed as its welded in but its close enough to the original section to proceed. 16 gauge is much more involved to work with, especially tiny shapes like this. You can't cut it with hand shears nor can you bend it with any accuracy without torch heat.

Installation next. Thanks for stopping by.

Justin

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#198 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

Great progress as always, thanks for sharing !

Antoine

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#199 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you Antione.

Repair of layer #2 installed.
IMG_7410.JPG
Thought I was ready but I still had some more fine trimming and tweaking to do before it was ready to tack. Also had to peel an additional strip of layers 3&4 to give me a clean shot at the weld joint.
IMG_7411.JPG
All but ready. I turned the lower flange a little too tight and had to relax it before I could tack weld.
IMG_7418.JPG
All welded in..,finally.
IMG_7417.JPG
Through all the bending shaping I had issues trying to get this piece to run consistent down the line while also fitting up where I needed it to. Thankfully in the end, it all lined up.
IMG_7420.JPG
Dressing the welds and then its onto layer #3. Back to a much nicer to work with 18 gauge.
Layer #3 install
IMG_7421.JPG
This is the lower gusset section that bridges across the saddle profile in the flange. Templating off of the remains of the left side and need only to flip the paper over for a right side application.
IMG_7423.JPG
Flange has a swoopy profile for the saddle area it bridges.
IMG_7425.JPG
Onto metal. Relief cut the flange for the needed curve in its profile. I'll just back fill that with weld to attach it further to the new torsion housing flange.
IMG_7426.JPG
New bridge section ready to go.
IMG_7428.JPG
Number 3 layer all welded in.
Thanks for looking.

Justin

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#200 Post by Martin Benade »

Looking good. You are procrastinating getting those broken bolts out as much as I did for the same.😀. I really lucked out on mine though, it turned out to be missing bolts with crud in the holes, nothing broken off.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#201 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you Martin. Yes, I was in no hurry to deal with those. I did start cycling them through some heat as I used my torch in around the area.
IMG_7429.JPG
Tempting to make this gusset a little longer but that's not the way it came.
IMG_7430.JPG
Dressing the welds smooth next.
IMG_7431.JPG
Then its onto layer #4. And again, starting to hit those twisted off bolts with some heat before I plug welded some nuts on for removal.
IMG_7432.JPG
This bottom section again is the remains from the right side and is placed on here backwards for the photo. Still thankful that the right side was intact enough for a reference. Working on this final wall section next.
Quick detour before installing vertical wall #4
IMG_7433.JPG
This lower cap which I've designated #5 for explanation purposes needs to go on ahead of the final vertical wall because its flange lap joints over top of this section.
IMG_7434.JPG
You can see the remains of this lap joint in the lower right. Before I can install this new cap I'll have to repair the hole in the heater tube and seal the cavity as best as I can.
IMG_7435.JPG
Large hole and several small pin holes back filled. Gas welding really turns the trick here for rusty thin old metal.
IMG_7436.JPG
Cavity slathered in epoxy and sealed as best as I can.
IMG_7438.JPG
New cap section made of heavier gauge sheet welded in.

Thanks for looking.

Justin

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#202 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I think I would have dealt with the broken off bolts before closing the cavity. I was lucky in that mine did come out with a lot of persuasion, but it was close.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#203 Post by Martin Benade »

I like gas welding a lot for slow careful details, it’s great. Before MIGs got common I welded plenty of miles with oxy acetylene.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#204 Post by Justin Rio »

Uhm, no real advantage either way; cavity open or closed. With the heater tube and the torsion housing in place you have no shot at the back sides of the upper 3 bungs. The lowest bung offers only partial reverse access and at a very steep angle. The bolt shanks also remain shielded down inside the bung housing so direct torch heat is extremely limited at best. Had I destroyed the bung, all the work of replacement and rewelding goes to the outside. The successful extraction of these coming up shortly.

Gas welding is perfect for "soldering" very thin rusted out metal like the bottom of this tube. A MIG will just blow it out before you can put any real heat to the edges you're trying to build on.

Justin
IMG_7440.JPG
This Original section was the "window" I cut out to see what was actually going on in here. Its laid over to top of the new closing section to show that it replicates what was there.
IMG_7442.JPG
Outer skin section that lap joints over top of this newly installed #5 cap. Good for now...
IMG_7443.JPG
Back onto paper templates for the final vertical wall section.
IMG_7445.JPG
New rough cut 18 gauge section.
IMG_7447.JPG
My hammer form placement set and now bolted down. Beating in the relief shape next.
Hammer forming relief shape into vertical wall section #4
IMG_7448.JPG
Began forming it cold and went as far as I could before adding in the heat. This being 18 gauge I could only go so far.
IMG_7456.JPG
After several laps and rounds of heat I finally had the relief shape I was after.
IMG_7458.JPG
This tube originally sat off to the lower side of the relief shape.
IMG_7459.JPG
To determine where that is exactly , this new panel is now roughly trimmed along its top (Or the bottom in this shot) and is in the process of rough fitment to the chassis.
IMG_7460.JPG
Once the new panel is set into its final position. The tube section clamped to the main run will tell me where the final opening needs to be.
Thanks for looking.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#205 Post by Justin Rio »

repair panel #4 continued.
IMG_7466.JPG
Committed and initial opening cut it.
IMG_7467.JPG
Gradually opening it by rolling the lip inward so the end of this tube will actually fit in there. The rolled lip will eventually be seam welded to the end of the tube as originally.
IMG_7468.JPG
After several tries the end of the tube finally slipped in.
IMG_7469.JPG
Good preliminary fitment but there is still some tweaking needed to allow the tube end to swing in into alignment. Close enough to leave for now.
IMG_7470.JPG
I can now commit to the lower flange placement. Adding that in next.
IMG_7471.JPG
New lower flange heeled over.
IMG_7472.JPG
Once again, thank god for reference parts. I would have never thought to add in this cutout shape to the back of the flange. Still needs more trimming but good for right now.
IMG_7473.JPG
New flange clamped flush locking in this sections final position. The tube end still lines up like it did before.
IMG_7474.JPG
More fine trimming and tube end alignment and welding are about all that remains. Dangerously close to installing this on for good....but.
IMG_7461.JPG
before I weld the end of the tube section back on I want the ability to remove and reinstall these bulkheads for repair. That coming up next....another little detour.
Thanks for stopping by.

Justin

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#206 Post by Chris Davis »

I'm going to bookmark this page as I suspect I'll be referring to it often once I get to this point on my car. Thanks again for the detailed photos and explanation of the battle plan Justin!

John Brooks
356 Fan

#207 Post by John Brooks »

Chris

The entire build is at abcgt.com under restorations go and sign up.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#208 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

Cool progress, well done!

Antoine