1955 Speedster Authenticity Questions

For Pre A discussions and questions
Tom Scott
356 Fan

1955 Speedster Authenticity Questions

#1 Post by Tom Scott »

Hey Pre A Speedster owners. I am attempting to establish the color carpet which the factory installed in a 1955 Speedster, painted white with red seats. Second, does anyone have photos of factory installed, Speedster, outside rear view mirrors, fender mounted or ?, and additional details such as manufacturer, model number, etc. Please, only respond if your are absolutely certain of these.
Thank you very much,
Tom Scott
Registry #476
tomlynns@aol.com :P

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

Re: 1955 Speedster Authenticity Questions

#2 Post by Donald Zingg »

White '55 Speedsters with red upholstery came with red carpet. Up until May 1955 the carpet edges were bound using upholstery vinyl. From May onward the carpet edges were bound using plastic tape that coordinated with the seat color.

I think it is safe to say that, in 1955, outside rear-view mirrors would have been installed by owners after their car was delivered. Period photos bear that out when you see the menagerie of mirror styles and mounting locations on fenders and doors. One had a better chance of getting an optional factory-installed outside mirror on a Speedster later on during the 356A era.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

To add what Don said, factory installed exterior mirrors were extremely rare during the pre-A period - only about ~50 cars are known, and I don't know of any Speedsters. Brands were Aero, Kontakt, Lucas, Ponto, amongst others. Dealers and owners often installed aftermarket clip mirrors as well, made by Albert, Huma, Seima, Hella, etc.

Peter Boettcher
356 Fan

#4 Post by Peter Boettcher »

My 55 Speedster from March of 55 had no mirror and no holes drilled in the drivers door for one
Peter Boettcher

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Scott »

Hey guys, thanks for the information. This is my 10th Speedster restoration but all prior were A models and I wanted to be certain of the details, Pre A were noticeably different in many ways.
I do have two additional requests - Were the head light stone guards a factory option and how often were they installed, Second, does any one have the paint color formula.
Thanks again. Tom

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#6 Post by Donald Zingg »

Tom Scott wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:29 pm
Were the head light stone guards a factory option and how often were they installed,
For the Speedster in 1955 chrome grills were standard equipment on sealed beam headlights.
When you assemble the headlights remember to install the rubber gasket in the space normally occupied by the glass cover.
It is #15 in the parts catalog illustration - - -
----
Attachments
grill 3i.jpg
grill 3g.JPG

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#7 Post by Tom Scott »

As we have come to expect, great and valuable information!!!
Thanks again. Tom