Fuel Petcock for 80L Carrera Tank

Discussion of 4-Cam Type 547 engines (and all the Fuhrmann racing variants) and cars that powered them.
Jakkrit Supawatanakul
356 Fan

Fuel Petcock for 80L Carrera Tank

#1 Post by Jakkrit Supawatanakul »

Hi!

I have questions about fuel petcock for 80L (Carrera Tank). The part book list it as a different code from 50L tank. And it shows in diagram without filter sleeve.
2024-04-07_22-38-51.jpg
Is it by design that the filter sleeve is not needed? Looking inside the tank, I don't think the sleeve will fit.
2024-04-07_22-28-25.jpg
Does anyone know if they are the same part just without the filter sleeve?
Would be great if anyone have a photo inside the tank to share.

Thanks you in advance.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

Re: Fuel Petcock for 80L Carrera Tank

#2 Post by Joris Koning »

the 80 liter pet cock has a small brad cub soldered to the tubes which together with an o-ring seals it to the cup shown in your picture. Couple of minutes on the lathe and some time with a soldering iron is all that is required. Search the forum I believe someone posted some pictures years back
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#3 Post by Harlan Halsey »

The Carrera petcock is the same as the ordinary one except: the filter screen is omitted, the short, reserve tube ends within the cone, the longer tube has a shallow cup on it which, with an O-ring, seals to the bottom of the cone.
The idea is that when you switch to reserve fuel will be drawn up the interior tube from the lower front area of the tank into the cone, and thence to the fuel pump. This will work as long as the input end of the tube remains below the fuel level. There is a version of the tank where there are two feed tubes, one to each front corner of the tank. This one will work as long as both tubes are in the fuel.

Jakkrit Supawatanakul
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jakkrit Supawatanakul »

Thank you very much @Harlan Halsey and @Joris Koning.
I have information to continue my work now, Thanks