Seatbelts 356c cabrio

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Seatbelts 356c cabrio

#16 Post by Wes Bender »

We had three point belts on the 356C we bought new in '63 but they were not retractable and had to be readjusted almost every time you drove it because my wife used it to commute to school and I drove it everywhere else. Those did allow you to put the rear seat backs up though. My current three point setup is a more modern retractable and was installed by the previous owner. Seat backs cannot be put up.

I'm a big fan of being belted in. My first setup was a pair of aircraft safety belts that I installed with reinforcements in a '41 Chevy convertible in 1953 and every car since has had them.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#17 Post by Mike Wilson »

When I purchased my car in '99, it, too, had non-retractable 5 point seat belts. It was missing the one between the legs (anti-submarine?). Like you encountered, Wes, a pain to adjust each time and once adjusted, impossible to release the parking brake. I converted to the PEP retractables but have since gone with the retractors from a 911 and buckle set up of my own design attached to the seat bases.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_0760.jpeg
IMG_0771.jpeg
IMG_0770.jpeg
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#18 Post by Wes Bender »

I like that!
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#19 Post by Bill Oldham »

There is a good solution. But it requires a strong B pillar. In my roadster, there was room for a strong functional B pillar that did not interfere with the top. You can see it at the upcoming WCH in Santa Barbara if you like.
This is a way to get real seat belts. But it involves fabricating a strong B pillar. I described it in several posts the most recent of which was Mar 21, 2018:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45757#p307223
I fabricated a B pillar and then supported it laterally and from rear. Functions exactly like 911 Cab pillar except mine is stronger. And it's all removable if you want to go back to less safe belts. I still intend to write a short article for the Registry before I get old, but I have to move quickly.
Bill

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

Great idea, Bill. I think the B pillar needs to be stronger to be safer.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe