Pictures of a 52 back seat area

For Pre A discussions and questions
Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Pictures of a 52 back seat area

#1 Post by Victor Ingram »

Thanks to everyone who assisted with pictures of front seats for a mid year 52.
We are now looking for the rear seat area pictures. Back rest and jump seat and side panels

thank you in advance

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Re: Pictures of a 52 back seat area

#2 Post by Victor Ingram »

To narrow it down a July build "Original" interior pictures, The more the better
thx in advance, and all help is appreciated.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Here's some nice photos of 11433 with its original interior. Note this is an early 1952 model year car. It has something that was common on the 1952 cars - maroon door tops that do not match the dashboard color, in this case Palm green. I've seen this also on Azure blue cars with blue dashboard as well. I think this was a stylistic carry-over from the wood door tops that were used on the split-window cars.

Not also that this has the early-type headliner as used on the split-window cars. This continued on the bent-window cars until sometime in mid-1952.

Photos courtesy of Christer Rye.
Attachments
20170407_115110.jpg
20170407_115105.jpg
20170407_115021.jpg

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#4 Post by Victor Ingram »

Thank you James,

These are great pictures! I am assisting a friend with a mid year 52. Approx 140 cars later. then this car.

By observation of the pictures, this car was all vinyl or leather, are the front seats two-tone also?
Or is it the angle of the photo when it was shot?

We received the Reutter production sheet and it says there was also upholstery on the seats as well as vinyl.
We are trying to figure out was the upholstery across the entire seat bottom and back rest and if the vinyl
wrapped around the sides?

Or was the upholstery in the center and the bolsters vinyl. And of course the door panels, vinyl pocket and upholstery door card?

52 is out of my wheelhouse so we really appreciate to be able to lean on your expertise.

Victor

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

Victor Ingram wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:40 am By observation of the pictures, this car was all vinyl or leather, are the front seats two-tone also?
No, they've just been stained by either bad cleaning or lousy care. They are originally green all around.
Victor Ingram wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:40 am We received the Reutter production sheet and it says there was also upholstery on the seats as well as vinyl.
We are trying to figure out was the upholstery across the entire seat bottom and back rest and if the vinyl
wrapped around the sides?
That is a possibility and was common in 1952. Probably most likely.
Victor Ingram wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:40 am Or was the upholstery in the center and the bolsters vinyl. And of course the door panels, vinyl pocket and upholstery door card?
Yes, upholstery on the card, vinyl pocket and edging. See the photos of the mid-1952 coupe described by Brett Johnson in his column in the latest issue of the magazine. They're also in the Literature section of this site - Detroit Public Library 1952 coupe. Note that is has upholstery on all seating surfaces of the front and rear seats. Vinyl only on the sides.

What colors and Reutter upholstery codes were on the Reutter certificate? As you can see, in 1952 there were more baffles in the cushions for the rear seat back, rear firewall and front seat backs than 1953+.

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#6 Post by Victor Ingram »

James,

Thank you very much for the response and the pictures.

With the owners permission, and the vin redacted per his request.
I thought you and the members would appreciate the sample card that has been retained with the car.
I have not seen one of these cards, very cool.....limousine 356
Attachments
IMG_1399.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#7 Post by James Davies »

Ah, that car. I'm attaching some photos that should be of use.

The heavily textured blue vinyl (309) was common on 1953 and earlier cars. Dinosaur skin. My car uses it for the binding around the monkey motion access cover. See photo below.

The cloth is bedford cord I believe. Not corduroy, but a different, ribbed weave. Again, very common on blue interior cars from 1951-53. Woolies in England has provided it in the past to Porsche restorers, via special order.

There's a producer in N Carolina that makes something pretty close as well. I'm attaching the sample I have here, with an original from a 1952 door panel courtesy of Tony Proasi. See attached photo showing the material and the door car boarder strip and part pocket. The sample on the card looks like it's been glued on with the backside facing up perhaps? Worth investigating on the sample card.

Seinfeld's 50432 also has this material. See attached photo of the bottom of the door card, though his is with leather, not the dino vinyl. Hard to see the rib pattern there, but can see it better in the image of the back of the car.

The texture of this cloth can look quite different depending on the light in photos I think. I hadn't thought this before, but it's possible that there were two different textured blue upholstery that Reutter used, but doubtful.
Attachments
DSC_0914.JPG
_20_0909.jpg
_13_0916.jpg
IMG_6033.jpg
IMG_6034.jpg
20160604_50d_6200f.jpg
15970159_10154930826249320_395822973_n.jpg
F7.gif

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#8 Post by Victor Ingram »

Thank you James, these pictures really helped us out.