1963 Cab Garage Find and Intro to my Project thread

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Ben Klumper
356 Fan

1963 Cab Garage Find and Intro to my Project thread

#1 Post by Ben Klumper »

I thought I’d finally give a proper introduction and describe what I’ve found and what I've been working on. I've been lurking for almost a year, gathering info and even buying some parts from a few of you here, and some of you may have seen me post this on the Samba a while back. Here's the backstory...a colleague/mentor of mine that I’ve known for about 25 years would once in a while tell me about his 356 cabrio that has been sitting in pieces in his garage. He would always say how he couldn’t wait to put it all back together and drive it again, and every time it came up, I’d always try to convince him to sell it to me. Well, he’s in his mid-80’s now and about 10 months ago he finally came around to the idea of parting ways with it, and after negotiating a price it was mine. Here are some specs:

- 1963 Ruby Red/Black cabrio with matching numbers and removable hard top
- Factory installed options:
9301 antenna
9440/41 head rests
9105 Dunlop 165-15 tires
9192 black floor mats
9228 BN4 gas heater
9200/01 seatbelts
9225 Koni dampers
9510 luggage rack

The car was originally purchased in Germany in the fall of 1962 by a Canadian military officer stationed in Baden Baden.He imported it to Canada in September 1965 and it was sold to my colleague for the sum of $1,025.00 in April 1973. Along with the entire maintenance history from day 1, he even had the original order form and invoice from Porsche:
order.jpeg
invoice.jpeg
In December 1976, he dismantled the car to have some rust repair done and a complete paint job. When he received the car back from the body shop, he just never got around to putting it all back together. So it had been sitting in his garage under a cover with boxes of parts inside it for nearly 50 years. Here are a few pics of the car as it sat in his garage just before I acquired it:
drivers.jpeg
nose.jpeg
tail.jpeg
trunk.jpeg
steering wheel.jpeg
interior.jpeg
rear seat.jpeg
rear wheel well.jpeg
I had been chasing this car for two decades, so you can imagine how excited I was to finally land it! Since I bought it in April, I've been picking away at various projects, which I'll post here shortly. One of the biggest tasks was determining exactly what I had and what was missing, and there was a LOT missing. But it's been fun tracking everything down and I'm almost there.
1963 Ruby Red 356B Cabriolet
1976 Sage Green Westfalia Deluxe

Ben Klumper
356 Fan

Re: 1963 Cab Garage Find and Intro to my Project thread

#2 Post by Ben Klumper »

A few more pics...
engine bay.jpeg
engine number.jpeg
headliner.jpeg
heater.jpeg
rear headliner.jpeg
windshield.jpeg
And some from the day I loaded it onto the trailer...
front.jpeg
right side.jpeg
rear.jpeg
left side.jpeg

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

Ben

Nice find, it will make a great ride. If you need any help send me a PM, I am on the TAN

John
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#4 Post by Spike Jones »

The pictures remind me of the way my '58 cab looked when I took possession of it in 1983.Even had a hard top! I regret not taking pics of it that day. But no cell phones in my world then.
I drove it the first time about 16 months later. Still have it and still enjoy it immensely!
Good luck with the project. Keep us all updated on the journey.
Spike
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Ben Klumper
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ben Klumper »

Thanks guys! My goal was to have it on the road at some point this summer, but that might have been a bit ambitious. I'm just now getting to the engine so that alone will be a couple of months. But I've really been enjoying the finer details of doing things (hopefully) the right way and learning a lot as I go.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

Looks like a great start for a project, reminds me of one I pulled out of Chicago a few years ago.

Good luck!
Attachments
chicagocab.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ben Klumper
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ben Klumper »

Very similar! How does is look today?

Ben Klumper
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ben Klumper »

One of the first projects I took on was the fresh air intake box under the cowl. Back in 1976 when the car was resprayed, the painter neglected to remove this part (among many others) so the screen and the box itself was full of overspray.
original cowl air intake box
original cowl air intake box
The rubber drain hose was old and torn but luckily the little brass fitting was still in place.
IMG_6609.jpeg
IMG_6610.jpeg
After carefully taking everything apart, I found the screen and foam seal to still be in excellent shape.
IMG_6623.jpeg
With lots of scrubbing I managed to get all the overspray off and the black plastic looking like new again. I sprayed the screen with a light grey paint based on evidence I found on this forum. Then glued it all back together. I found an exact match for the rubber drain hose on Amazon for $10, with the correct ID and OD (search for "Uxcell Lubricating Oil Hose, 12mm(1/2") ID x 16mm(5/8") OD 3.3ft Rubber Water Hose Tubing Black" if you need some).
IMG_6750.jpeg
IMG_6751.jpeg
Overall, it was a simple project to get my feet wet with and I'm happy with the way it turned out

Ben Klumper
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ben Klumper »

The next thing I tackled were the fresh air valves and their associated rubber ducts. Again, lots of overspray and gunk...
overspray...bad
overspray...bad
clean...good!
clean...good!
These and the smaller rubber sleeves (not shown) that the bottom of the valves slip into came clean quite easily. Then on to the valves themselves...
IMG_6606.jpeg
IMG_6607.jpeg
IMG_6682.jpeg
IMG_6683.jpeg
IMG_6684.jpeg
just a bit of the green paint mark left on the square nut
just a bit of the green paint mark left on the square nut
And the result after cleaning and repainting. No re-plating of the hardware as it was still in fine shape. Just a little dab of green paint for authenticity (I love the details...)
IMG_6703.jpeg
And I managed to preserve the stencilled date code on the backsides. They were stamped "J2", which I believe translates to an October 1962 build date. I also added the proper "BEHR" decal (not shown) to the right side valve. You can see where the original resided in the earlier pic.
IMG_6710.jpeg
Note the absence of the cupped inlet screens. Since the car came equipped with the optional Eberspacher heater, these were deleted as the hoses from the heater connected directly to the air valves, preventing any foreign objects from entering.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

I assume the foam on the valve flaps inside is long gone? They can still sort of work without it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ben Klumper
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ben Klumper »

Speaking of the gas heater...I was happy to see that after all these years, it was still with the car, even though it needed some serious love. First order was to clean the fuel pump.
Eberspacher BN4 fuel pump
Eberspacher BN4 fuel pump
IMG_6689.jpeg
Then I carefully documented and dismantled the heater. It's quite a complex piece of machinery, with a lot of components and wiring.
IMG_7312.jpeg
IMG_7317.jpeg
IMG_7318.jpeg
After a thorough cleaning and a light sanding of the painted parts, I repainted the body with Krylon Fusion "Hammered Silver". A bit tough to see in the pics, but its a perfect match to the original colour and crackled finish. Then it was time to reassemble.
IMG_7329.jpeg
IMG_7330.jpeg
IMG_7331.jpeg
IMG_7332.jpeg
IMG_7333.jpeg
I doubt I'll ever use it, but it's a nice looking piece and as far as I can tell, a pretty rare accessory that was fun to restore!

Ben Klumper
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ben Klumper »

Martin, surprisingly the foam was still in there, although it did mostly crumble away during cleaning.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#13 Post by Adam Wright »

Ben Klumper wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:28 am Very similar! How does is look today?
Last I saw it was headed to a boat en route to Australia.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.