Porsche Plate frame & Dealership thread

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Porsche Plate frame & Dealership thread

#286 Post by Greg Bryan »

Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Re:

#287 Post by Greg Bryan »

Nathan Miller wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:42 pm
Mark Pribanic wrote: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:02 pm
Anyone know which came first? Redondo? Manhattan Beach?
The plates kind of confuse me, because I remember Vasek Polak as being in Hermosa Beach on PCH and 1st St. That would be 56 years ago when we moved to Manhattan Beach to 37 years ago, when I moved out of the South Bay. As a kid, I remember the 917s and other race cars. I had a '59 356A when I was 21 that I bought for $3000. The paint was cracked and worn, and there had been mold on the seats. I had soft racks for it, and I remember myself and two friends taking it south on a surf trip. One guy in the back and four boards on top. You do whatcha gotta do. I loved that car, but had to sell it because I could not afford the parts. I was attending El Camino, and had to take the bus more often than I was driving the car, because I did not enough money to buy parts when it broke. The straw that broke the camel's back was when a very small carburetor linkage broke and Vasek Polak wanted $14.00 for it. That is probably $140.00 in today's currency. I sold the car it for $3000 and bought another Type II. Oh yeah, I tried using a wire hanger for the linkage, but adjusting a wire hanger is frustrating and kinda stupid.
It appears that the Hermosa location was the second property he obtained

Davey's Recollections of Vasek Polak
By Davey Jordan
Page 3

Davey Jordan in Porsche 911 turn 4 Santa Barbara 1967 Davey Jordan in the Porsche 911, at turn 4, Santa Barbara, 1967.
A lot of things had changed at Vasek Polak since I had raced the Spyder in 1964. His endless day work schedule was paying off. He had acquired another business location about a mile and a half south of the original at 199 Pacific Coast Hwy., Hermosa Beach
Greg Bryan

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#288 Post by Alan Hall »

I lived in Manhattan Beach in the late 60's and Vasek owned three local properties. I believe his original Porsche dealership was at 356 (coincidence?) South Sepulveda in Manhattan but by the late 60's it had moved to 199 Pacific Coast Highway in Hermosa. He still used the 356 Sepulveda location for storage. He also had a dealership for other makes of cars on the west side of Sepulveda in Manhattan. I used to drive by that location on the way to work every day and he had two or three wrecked Spyders (an RSK and 1 or 2 550's) stacked up on the side of the building. One day I noticed they were gone, so stopped to ask what happened and was told "Mr. Polak told us to clean the place up so we called a scrap metal dealer to come get them"

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#289 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

My shop "THE STABLE HAS THEIR OWN FRAME AND PORSCHE OWNER FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD HAVE STOPPED BY MY SHOP AND ASKED FOR ONE. ALAN THE STABLE.

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#290 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

I had my own shop's frame The Stable and it took a lot of convincing Porsche that is was a good thing I told them I keep the glory going of the mark. Alan The Stable.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#291 Post by Greg Bryan »

Alan - how long were you in business at your location?
Greg Bryan

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#292 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

I had my own frame, for The Stable and I had to convice Porsche that it was a good thing because I kept the love of the mark alive as a independant. And kept the cars on the road. Alan The Stable.