Were any 356A's built without beige steering column?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Were any 356A's built without beige steering column?

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Happy Holidays all,
Trying to find out specifically if there may have been some '58 356A Speedsters built at Reutter with a color other then the common beige steering column.
Perhaps depending on the interior and or exterior colors maybe column was black or ?
Debating on changing my car from black to perhaps the proper beige color including turn signal housing.
If some of these cars or other A cars were black or another color I may leave it alone.
I know the Pre A cars more often then not were beige color but this is a late A T2 car built 5/2/58.
KTF,
Steve

Dick Roth
356 Fan

Re: Were any 356A's built without beige steering column?

#2 Post by Dick Roth »

'I never saw one, but that only proves so much… on the other hand, I have been paying attention to these wonderful cars since 1957.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Roth »

The great and legendary John Howe had his 356A European coupe’s column painted with a crackle finish which won the Manhattan when judging standards were different then they are today. It really looked wonderful but of course it wasn’t correct. I wonder if that car, which is now owned by Jerry Seinfeld still has that look. Otherwise it looks pretty much the same the last time I saw it.
I wonder if anybody knows that John used to take the Rudge wheels to bed with him just to work on them at night.
Few people in the Porsche community know his name today, but he was the person that set the standard that was the one that helped me understand what it meant to restore a 356 to a proper level. There was no one like him.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#4 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I believe that some A coups were built with grey knobs and steering wheel. I would doubt that any Speedsters, being the cheap price leaders they are, were built with anything other than the cheap VW beige.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

From early 1954 onward, coupes and cabs (and by late 1954) Speedsters had color-coordinated beige or grey knobs and steering wheels. This continued into the 356A T1 era, with the steering column and blinkers going from black (Pre-A) to color coordinated grey or beige as well. I don't know how long this lasted in 356A production, but certainly through the end of T1 prdouction.

Grey was for "cool" interiors and beige for "warm" interiors. But they were always coordinated, grey with grey, beige with beige.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jules Dielen »

I have seen only one late A coupe with a black steering wheel. It was not noted on the Kardex so it may have been color changed at a later date. Not sure what color the column was, but I would guess black..
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

James, all pre-As had a black column?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Martin Benade wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:01 am James, all pre-As had a black column?
Yes, except for 5002 and maybe a few more of the first cars in 1950.

For a while the Reutter certificate was getting this wrong, but I think it's been corrected for several years now.