New California classic car survey

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Brian R Adams
356 Fan

Re: New California classic car survey

#286 Post by Brian R Adams »

Larry Brooks wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:14 pm But I do appreciate all of the people who are making up the difference on the fuel taxes I'm not paying anymore.:-)
WRT the road tax portion, they're getting around to fixing that loophole in many places, and possibly at the Federal level as well, but there are obvious juxtaposed instincts within the EV Party: Increase tax revenue vs encourage EV sales.

I've always said hybrids make a lot of sense for many people. But making sense doesn't feed the bulldog. Witness the still-rampant irrational resistance to nuclear power. Can't have your cake and eat it, too. Or so I was taught.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#287 Post by Martin Benade »

Ohio has addressed this, and I’ve seen lots of complaints about the extra fees for hybrid/ev registration. On Nextdoor where you hear lots of silly things, the people refuse to understand and feel that they are being punished.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#288 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:03 pm Ohio has addressed this, and I’ve seen lots of complaints about the extra fees for hybrid/ev registration. On Nextdoor where you hear lots of silly things, the people refuse to understand and feel that they are being punished.
I like to think they are being punished, but that'd be mean of me. Road taxes are to fund road repair and improvement, and any rational person will grasp that EVs punish the road the same as any other vehicle in the same weight class.
-

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#289 Post by Chris Davis »

Martin Benade wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:03 pm Ohio has addressed this, and I’ve seen lots of complaints about the extra fees for hybrid/ev registration. On Nextdoor where you hear lots of silly things, the people refuse to understand and feel that they are being punished.
Utah also. Because the Rav4 Prime can operate as a pure EV, I get to pay the yearly registration "EV" road tax, plus fuel tax when I run the engine. Net savings on fuel more than offsets the additional taxes, but I do feel like the Utah tax man is double dipping on the plug-in hybrids.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#290 Post by C J Murray »

Brian R Adams wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:58 pm Witness the still-rampant irrational resistance to nuclear power.
Have you heard any reports on the UN COP 28 conference? Reality is starting to sink into the conversation amongst the master planners. They can't possibly get rid of fossil fuels as fast as they once believed. They also made no planning allowance for improved technology in the oil drilling industry. Scientists have now developed methods of drilling oil with little to no methane leakage. Supposedly the escaping methane does more damage than the emissions from burning gasoline. Also there is some talk about small nuclear facilities where needed.

I also read that billions of dollars were approved by congress in 2021 for the administration to use to build EV charging stations. Not a single one has been built. Weren't we told we need EVs urgently? Who got that money?

I think the Flintstones had it right but today they would be regulated because pushing their cars around creates too much farting.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#291 Post by Mark Roth »

My friend with a Genesis EV just got surprised by a $400 additional new car registration fee. It will be $200 on renewal. Texas.
https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/ev-r ... way%20Fund.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#292 Post by Brian R Adams »

C J Murray wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:11 pm I also read that billions of dollars were approved by congress in 2021 for the administration to use to build EV charging stations. Not a single one has been built.
Not disputing you, but where did you ascertain that? (I assume you mean no purely federally-funded chargers. Of course many new chargers are installed every day in nearly all states, probably scores of them.)
-

C J Murray
356 Fan

#293 Post by C J Murray »

Brian R Adams wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:06 pm
C J Murray wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:11 pm I also read that billions of dollars were approved by congress in 2021 for the administration to use to build EV charging stations. Not a single one has been built.
Not disputing you, but where did you ascertain that? (I assume you mean no purely federally-funded chargers. Of course many new chargers are installed every day in nearly all states, probably scores of them.)
-
I heard it again today on the TV news. Politico Biden friendly media report: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/0 ... s-00129996

Much of this article is BS like "consumer demand for EVs in the US is rising". Politico really whitewashed the story but you do get a picture of why government fails at most things..
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#294 Post by C J Murray »

I just read an article that mentioned "Carbon Passports". The idea that is being suggested is that each of us have a passport which tracks our travel and therefore our carbon usage which could then be limited by the government. They just never stop.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#295 Post by Brian R Adams »

C J Murray wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:37 pm I heard it again today on the TV news. Politico Biden friendly media report: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/0 ... s-00129996
Thanks, Cliff, it's a real story and a worrisome one for our putative saviors. Quote:

The United States has around 180,000 chargers today, according to the Energy Department. That includes 41,000 of the type of fast chargers that can alleviate the dreaded “range anxiety” of a long-distance road trip in an electric vehicle.

That's rich. The "dreaded" range anxiety. Dreaded by whom?

Unless the masses are forced to buy EVs, the pool of potential buyers who are not subject to the rational fear of being stranded is limited, and will soon be saturated, long before EVs approach sales parity with ICE vehicles.
-
Last edited by Brian R Adams on Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#296 Post by Martin Benade »

You may not feel bad for them but don’t you think EV owners are entitled to dreaded range anxiety? It seems like a sensible response.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#297 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:05 am You may not feel bad for them but don’t you think EV owners are entitled to dreaded range anxiety? It seems like a sensible response.
They're deserving of range anxiety in my opinion! Anyway, the writer had EV promoters in mind. They're the ones wringing their hands over range anxiety.
-

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#298 Post by Brian R Adams »

Albemarle Corp. is the world's top lithium company. Its stock price has plunged 56% since 2 Feb. 2023 on faltering lithium demand. Share price of Livent Corp., another major lithium company, has fallen 48% since July.
-

C J Murray
356 Fan

#299 Post by C J Murray »

Brian R Adams wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:26 pm Albemarle Corp. is the world's top lithium company. Its stock price has plunged 56% since 2 Feb. 2023 on faltering lithium demand. Share price of Livent Corp., another major lithium company, has fallen 48% since July.
-
The market speaks.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#300 Post by Martin Benade »

I’d guess they will bounce back a some time, but I don’t invest in the stock market so it doesn’t matter to me.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna