New California classic car survey

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: New California classic car survey

#271 Post by Martin Benade »

An interesting piece about the author of that :
IMG_0585.jpeg
Googling him shows this to be true.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#272 Post by C J Murray »

Martin Benade wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:34 am An interesting piece about the author of that :IMG_0585.jpeg
Maybe he is all those things or maybe the person that wrote that has an agenda that drives them to write untruths. I don't know of that guy at all but I have seen those claims made falsely about many public figures. I think you ought to back that up or remove it.

What would be more appropriate for you to do would be to prove that old cars are not a target of big government.

The first clue of what is on the minds of the Masters of the Universe is when they send out questionnaires asking how often you drive your 356 or how you like eating bugs while Bill Gates eats steak.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#273 Post by David Jones »

OK we can all relax. Storm in a tea cup. Put away the conspiracy theories and take a deep breath.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/o ... -doomsday/
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#274 Post by Martin Benade »

Thank you David. Actual information from someone in the thick of it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#275 Post by C J Murray »

When Government collects data you had better be concerned. Government takes the position that they are there to tax and regulate everything and that they should be continuously working to do more of that. Government does not search for ways to give you more freedom. If Aaron Robinson and his friend think that CA is going to make classic car ownership better they are very naive.

The article did shine light on the emission testing farce. Honest people are hassled and dishonest people just resort to fraud. Typical government regulation. Maybe they meant well, LoL.

Martin please prove what you posted about Peter Sweden or remove it. It makes you look a bit unhinged, unless you have proof.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#276 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Every day I think “I sure wish the forum was more like facebook” and my prayers have been answered. 🙃 Thanks “moderators”

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#277 Post by Brian R Adams »

David Jones wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:28 am OK we can all relax. Storm in a tea cup. Put away the conspiracy theories and take a deep breath.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/o ... -doomsday/
Aaron Robinson's insider friend may well be correct. CARB may intend to stop smog testing pre-1976 vehicles. (FWIW Washington State has abandoned all emissions testing.) Hearsay, yet I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But he undermines his credibility a bit when he states " ... the number of 1976–2000 cars being tested [was] 1.2 million in 2020, statistically insignificant in a state with more than 30 million registered vehicles". That's a misuse of the concept of "statistical significance" for starters. And even if he simply opined that 4% is insignificant it's laughable. C'mon, man!
-
Last edited by Brian R Adams on Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#278 Post by Mark Roth »

This topic is about EVs and ICEs, not conspiracy theories and "masters of the universe" talk. There are other places on the internet where that flavor of postings would be welcomed. Let's keep this topic open by getting back to the subject at hand. I'm going to remove any new posts from anyone whose post characterizes the motivations of regulators.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#279 Post by Mark Roth »

Here's a WSJ article about the cost of repairing EVs. Most buyers don't think about that.
Why Repairing Your EV Is So Expensive  - WSJ.pdf
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#280 Post by Brian R Adams »

Mark Roth wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:49 pm Here's a WSJ article about the cost of repairing EVs. Most buyers don't think about that.
This takes me back to my wondering how many vehicles are typically owned by households with a BEV in the fold. The fact is that only people with plenty of disposable income are buying BEVs, and the BEV is typically the second if not third vehicle in the household. When it comes to being aware of how much EV repairs will cost, it's the old quip "If you have to ask that, you can't afford one."
-
Last edited by Brian R Adams on Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#281 Post by Mark Roth »

Here's a hybrid I would consider if I was in the market:
https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/
The only downside I read about is that the engine is noisy when it runs due to the lack of insulation because of Toyota trying to keep the weight down.

Funny that Asian car makers and most other manufacturers include features as standard that Porsche charges extra for.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#282 Post by C J Murray »

Another article.
https://theautowire.com/2023/09/25/repo ... ssic-cars/

Another.
https://www.classicandsportscar.com/new ... c-vehicles

More.
https://classicsworld.co.uk/news/are-eu ... ssic-cars/

https://www.motorious.com/articles/feat ... ssic-cars/

Government is a threat to our hobby. It may not be a conspiracy but it certainly is happening everywhere. Nothing to worry about hey?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Chris Davis
356 Fan
Tag: Chris in Utah

#283 Post by Chris Davis »

Mark Roth wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:18 pm Here's a hybrid I would consider if I was in the market:
https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/
The only downside I read about is that the engine is noisy when it runs due to the lack of insulation because of Toyota trying to keep the weight down.

Funny that Asian car makers and most other manufacturers include features as standard that Porsche charges extra for.
We have 70K miles on a 2021 Rav4 Prime, same basic Plug-In Hybrid system as the PriusPrime, but scaled up a bit. No issues so far and performance is quite good. I think the engine noise complaints are mainly driven by the fact that the engine isn't running for most of your local commute/errands, so the sound can surprise you a bit when it kicks in. RPM also isn't entirely corelated to the gas pedal position (acceleration is) Engine RPMs will vary based on battery state of charge and your control settings.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#284 Post by Larry Brooks »

Three years ago I replaced my wife's Mercedes Convertible with a Kia Hybrid. The Mercedes averaged about 25mpg, the Kia 52mpg.
One year ago I replaced my Tundra Crewmax with a Lexus RX Hybrid. The Tundra averaged 12mpg, the Lexus 26mpg. The Tundra had the 5.7 400hp engine, but the Lexus would blow its doors off with the gas engine and two electric motors.The Tundra could tow over 10,000 pounds while the Lexus 4,000, which is more than enough for trailering a 356 or hauling parts.
So I cut my fuel costs AND fuel taxes by more than 50%.
Regardless of someones views on Global Warming it is a win-win equation for me.
But I do appreciate all of the people who are making up the difference on the fuel taxes I'm not paying anymore.:-)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#285 Post by C J Murray »

Every American should have the freedom to purchase, own, and drive any vehicle they wish as long as taxpayers do not subsidize their vehicle. I was not in favor of the auto company bailouts either. Every business in this country should be held responsible for the decisions and obligations they make. When you know there is no safety net you avoid making decisions that can destroy you. If you extend credit to unworthy companies you should get burned. Let the market pick the winners and the losers.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion