New California classic car survey

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Nathan Miller
356 Fan

Re: New California classic car survey

#256 Post by Nathan Miller »

Brian R Adams wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:23 pm
Larry Brooks wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:29 pm I was absolutely blown away by the acceleration of that car, 0-60mph in under 2 seconds and 0-100mph in just over 4 seconds.
Impressive. (Jotting that down.) ... Now: How about elapsed time from zero to 600 miles, driving as fast as you dare? On, say, the most ideal stretch of interstate highway for an EV available in the US.
-
I guess no Cannonball records for EVs.

Nathan Miller
356 Fan

#257 Post by Nathan Miller »

C J Murray wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:05 pm The numbers just don't add up and never did. It makes you wonder who benefited by ignoring the obvious reality. Politicians and lobbyists possibly?
Who benefitted? Elon Musk.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#258 Post by Brian R Adams »

In this Information Age, I wish I could find the percentage breakdown of BEV-owning households (passenger cars, pickups, SUVs):

What percent of households w/ a BEV are:

a) Single-vehicle households
b) Two-vehicle households
c) Three-vehicle households
d) Other
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#259 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I admit to a near total disinterest in what the government intends. With electric powered vehicles too. I found the first Tesla, the Lotus chassis car not interesting either. However, I find the Tesla Model S to be very interesting. I didn't believe that a man with Elon Musk's charastics had much of a chance of coming up with anything interesting, but somehow, he did. I've toured the plant and test driven the hot Model S, and I am impressed and not only with its acceleration. I still believe that Tesla won't be able to follow the Model S with an update. The all-aluminum Model S is probably going to fade into history, just as the Aluminum XKEs, 300 SL Gullwings, etc. have.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#260 Post by C J Murray »

Nathan Miller wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:43 am I guess no Cannonball records for EVs.
Funny!
Nathan Miller wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:50 am Who benefitted? Elon Musk.
True but he only took advantage of other people's virtue signaling and cash generating(to the policy makers) illogical mandates.
Harlan Halsey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:10 am I find the Tesla Model S to be very interesting.
Americans should have that choice as long as my tax money isn't subsidizing that purchase.
Harlan Halsey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:10 am I didn't believe that a man with Elon Musk's charastics had much of a chance of coming up with anything interesting, but somehow, he did.
Really? Everything he does is creative and leading edge. He doesn't do "boring".
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#261 Post by C J Murray »

Recently our dishonest media has finally started to report at least some of the reality concerning EVs. Two days ago they reported on the letter sent to the Biden administration signed by nearly 4000 new car dealers. The letter asked that the government EV mandates be relaxed since their customers are not buying EVs and they are stacking up on their lots. In the new vehicle business the way to make money is by turning your inventory multiple times per year to avoid high "flooring" costs, interest paid on your vehicle inventory. The flooring interest rates often begin at zero or fairly low when the vehicle arrives and after 30 or 60 or 90 days they begin to get higher and higher until around 1 year when you are dealing with very high rates. I believe I heard that EVs are sitting for well over 1 year on average as opposed to 60-90 days for ICE vehicles. If this continues the entire auto industry will collapse.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#262 Post by Martin Benade »

If our media is dishonest, why would you trust this particular report?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#263 Post by C J Murray »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:13 am If our media is dishonest, why would you trust this particular report?

In this case they were reporting what was written by a large group of car dealers. It is what it is.
Last edited by C J Murray on Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#264 Post by Martin Benade »

I do think that’s a true report.

I’m fortunate to have a couple of (easily found) trusted media sources that will share the dirt on left or right. I might have to read through their bias, but the facts are there.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#265 Post by C J Murray »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:40 pm I do think that’s a true report.

I’m fortunate to have a couple of (easily found) trusted media sources that will share the dirt on left or right. I might have to read through their bias, but the facts are there.
I find that hard to believe.
Last edited by C J Murray on Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#266 Post by Brian R Adams »

Elon Musk, in a moment of honesty or inebriation (wink, wink), early on said of the Cybertruck "We dug our own grave with" it. (And he keeps outdoing himself; witness his recent Twitter war comments, and his effect on would-be advertisers).

This morning from SeekingAlpha (emphasis added):

Traders did not seem so impressed with the Cybertruck launch event at Tesla's (TSLA) Gigafactory in Austin. Shares fell 1.7% during the regular session on Thursday and dropped another 2.1% AH, with the electric pickup needing to prove itself before getting a final round of applause. Starting prices of the futuristic vehicle will start at $60,990, more than 50% higher than quoted when it was first unveiled in 2019. The base edition will also only be available in 2025, while many of the touted specs like 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, 130 MPH top speed, and beastly torque and horsepower, will only be offered on its most high-end variant known as the "Cyberbeast." Range also fell short of the originally promised 500 miles and would only reach close to there via a range extender that takes up a third of the truck bed.

Whew.
-

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#267 Post by Justin Rio »

Stay vigilant!! Always something new and exciting planned for our private property.

EU would like to seize your old classic:

https://petersweden.substack.com/p/the- ... ur-old-car

C J Murray
356 Fan

#268 Post by C J Murray »

Justin Rio wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:03 pm Stay vigilant!! Always something new and exciting planned for our private property.

EU would like to seize your old classic:

https://petersweden.substack.com/p/the- ... ur-old-car
Are government leaders stupid or evil? Either way we are paying the price.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#269 Post by Brian R Adams »

"Lithium-ion battery cells combine a flammable electrolyte with significant stored energy, and if a battery cell creates more heat than it can effectively disperse, it can lead to a rapid uncontrolled release of heat energy, known as 'thermal runaway', that can result in a fire or explosion. ... Thermal runaway can be caused by a number reasons, including an internal short circuit due to manufacturing defects, ’lithium plating’ (formation of metallic lithium on an anode surface within a battery cell), or mechanical damage (e.g. piercing, dropping). Other possible causes of thermal runaway are exposure to heat from an external source or overcharging/over-discharging." Fire Protection Association UK

"Mechanical damage" of a cell mounted inside a vehicle may result from even a relatively minor collision (fender-bender), bouncing hard over a curb or rough terrain, or (in the case of a two-wheeled vehicle) falling over or tumbling (e.g. down a staircase or hill for an E-Bike.)
-
Last edited by Brian R Adams on Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#270 Post by C J Murray »

Another article. https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/1 ... t-climate/

It won't be long until some 30 year old staffer gets his boss to suggest this in congress.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion