Distributor Drives

Discussion of 4-Cam Type 547 engines (and all the Fuhrmann racing variants) and cars that powered them.
Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: Distributor Drives

#31 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Alan,
Let me point out that if you know which wire goes where, you can orient the distributer(s) as you like. In my V drive Carrera I like the points wire to come in from the rear. Then I run the plug wires as convenient. I tend to equalize the length of the plug wires, avoiding feeding the rear plugs on one side from the distributor on the other side. In a cam drive car I think I would like the points wire to come from below.

Jeff Adams
356 Fan

#32 Post by Jeff Adams »

On both cam driven distributor and V drive engines, the driver's side distributor fired the inner spark plugs (long connectors) and the passenger side distributor fired the outer plugs (short connectors). A page from the factory Carrera engine guide with pictures shows where the rotor tips should point when the engine is on TDC number one firing. If for no other reason than to do what the factory says and be consistent, I position the rotor tips and run the plug wires by the book. The engine really doesn't care as long as the ignition timing is correct so the factory rules don't have to followed, as Harlan points out.

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#33 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

The rotors sorry to say are unique to the four cam motorl Alan The stable.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#34 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Alan,
There are at least two different 4 cam rotors. The later, more common one has been reproduced very nicely along with the screw down cap by Joris Konig. :D
The diameters of the early cap clip cases are the same as the ordinary 356 distributers so if push comes to shove I'm sure there's a modification which will work if Rainer hasn't already done it. :D