is 1-year old 6v Optima going bad?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Timothy L Schabacker
356 Fan

Re: is 1-year old 6v Optima going bad?

#46 Post by Timothy L Schabacker »

An Optima battery I purchased than 18 months ago failed. The Optima warranty is free replacement for 36 months. I made the mistake of buying it on Amazon. Return policy when dealing with Amazon L.L.C. (The reseller) is 30 days. Optima will not honor the warranty insisting that Amazon owes me. Calling and reaching a live person who can assist is impossible. Submitting a request for help via the website proved to be a waste of time. The response-after two days-was a list of procedures for recharging a battery.

In the past I’ve had very good service from an Optima 6V Redtop.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#47 Post by Greg Bryan »

Sometimes a dead AGM battery can be brought back to life by hooking it in parallel (with jumper cables) with a good, fully charged 6v battery then charging them both for several hours.
This will work when the battery has been depleted by leaving lights on for example and the battery voltage drops very low.
If there’s an internal problem with the battery, this technique won’t help.
Greg Bryan

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#48 Post by Mark Roth »

Timothy,
Have you tried calling Amazon at 1-888-280-4331? This number operates 24/7 per Google search for Amazon customer service. I have called them for several issues and they are very responsive. I also had a warranty claim and they told me to just keep the battery and gave me a refund. Good luck.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#49 Post by Dave Erickson »

+1 Mark.

Per Optima’s website, warranty service is the responsibility of the seller, you cannot go straight to Optima. They go further to say that Ebay sellers and some Amazon sellers are not authorized so no warranty, but if you buy it from Amazon it is covered.

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

#50 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

Are there any other manufacturers that have a 6V AGM battery?
I did a Google search that only came up with golf cart or marine batteries besides Optima.
Bruce Hagopian

Timothy L Schabacker
356 Fan

#51 Post by Timothy L Schabacker »

So…no help (again) from Amazon. Their position is that I would have had to have purchased an extended warranty at time of the order—an Amazon warranty—in order to be covered. Again, it was put to me that I should contact Optima.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions to remedy this problem.