Anyone know of a restoration planning/tracking spreadsheet?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Anyone know of a restoration planning/tracking spreadsheet?

#16 Post by Greg Bryan »

When I did my 356 restoration, I did as is recommended above of taking hundreds of pictures - realizing later I should have taken 1,000s. I also put all the removed parts in zip lock bags with sharpie labels. That is very helpful. I also like Dave's idea of taking notes as you go and having an organized place to store them that is readily accessible.
I did find that at one point, I had to consolidate all of the hardware to get it plated. I ended up making a spreadsheet that I have shared many times in the forum with the vital information so I could get the hardware back with the proper component. I'll attach it again - It is for my car, a Reutter built June 1964 356 Cabriolet. It was a tedious process but I referred to it many times when putting the car back together.

My current project is a '65 912 which I bought as a basket case, so more challenges are confronting me as I work through the restoration. Other things to consider along with aforementioned is keep a record of the items you purchase - more than once in the extended years-long project, I bought an item, both new and at swap meets, brought it home and found that I had bought one already some years ago.
Another thing is to do is keep a record of where you store things. On my 912, it has the early-only two-piece "PORSCHE" script for the engine lid. I wanted to store this piece in a very secure place for safe keeping. It is in such a secure place that I have yet to find it again ...
Attachments
Porsche Nuts and Bolts (2) (1).xlsx
(17.56 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Greg Bryan

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

Re: Anyone know of a restoration planning/tracking spreadsheet?

#17 Post by Michael Branning »

Thanks everyone...there is a lot of great advice. The car was bought partially apart. We are disassembling into a series of plastic bins initially and then will inventory/evaluate/track each small group of items. I'm going for a high level restoration so lots of plating ahead. We are taking many photos and I have all the parts books and workshop manuals. Hopefully I'll come up with something to add to the wisdom shared here.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster