Bucket list drive?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Bucket list drive?

#1 Post by David Jones »

Anyone in the UK or elsewhere driven this in a 356? Mike Ruddy you are close go out and take some video.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2021 ... link.email

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6apbooDqFbY
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Robin Walker
356 Fan

Re: Bucket list drive?

#2 Post by Robin Walker »

Drove it earlier this year in my '73 911S. Its an interesting drive with two short very steep brows about 1 in 4 grade (25%) the rest of the road from Windermere to Ravenglass is narrow with few passing places and the road surface condition is poor. It was raining all the time we were driving.
There is an famous narrow gauge railway on the Western end which has quarter scale steam engines which run from Ravenglass to Eskdale and is worth the trip.
The passes are on the Western edge of the Lake District and the lakes are there because it rains a lot but is scenic when (if) the sun comes out. The local roads are often full of tourist traffic and slow moving.
Robin Walker
1962 356B S90 Coupe. sold.
1964 356C Coupe RHD
1973 911S Coupe LHD
1983 924 coupe RHD

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#3 Post by Graham Kerr »

I think it was back in the early seventies when I was a 1st category racing cyclist, the RTTC, which was the time trial cycling body held their annual hill climb championship on the Hardknott pass road. It is quite well known to cyclists, the Tour of Britain regularly went up the hill on one of the two weeks of stages. I entered the hill climb and although many competitors used fixed wheel machines ie only one gear but that makes for a very light bike, I chose gears, only five mind as it was quite a long course compared to the usual much shorter courses, even so it was a tough climb, I was well into the red zone all the way up and only came about halfway in the field. I was always a sprinter not the best climber. But it's a terrific road, I would love to go back and do some touring in the area which is fantastic and I might take the 356 if I'm feeling lazy!
86 SSE Turbo Look 3.2 Carrera
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Just seen this Graham. I'm a 100% sure I couldn't make it up Hardknott pass now (at 33%) on a bike and I'm not sure I would like to test the 356 up there :)