Recommended Elements for Precision Matters F/F Adapters

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Recommended Elements for Precision Matters F/F Adapters

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

Do not know why this hasn't yet been posted, but here it is now, all design revs included.
Recommeded Elements.jpg
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Clarke
356 Fan

Re: Recommended Elements for Precision Matters F/F Adapters

#2 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Ron That is a Nice piece of Kit. Full Flow Filter Housing ' On Board. Am I correct that it fouls a Bursch Exhaust ?
What are the implications of using a Non Pressure Relief Valve ? Would or Could it Blow the Filter Case Open on cold start up ?
Regards Jay

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

John Clarke wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:58 pm Hi Ron That is a Nice piece of Kit. Full Flow Filter Housing ' On Board. Am I correct that it fouls a Bursch Exhaust ?
What are the implications of using a Non Pressure Relief Valve ? Would or Could it Blow the Filter Case Open on cold start up ?
Regards Jay
Thanks for the kind words,
Yes, John Bursch got there with the pipes long before I got there with the filter. The current "Bursch" supplier has no interest in providing pipes which do allow space, but it is possible to modify a 'Bursch-style' system to fit with some welding skills.
The non-pressure-relief Adapter was discontinued some 10-12 years ago, but there remain hundreds of them in use (including my engines) with little problem. Hence the listing of recommended elements.
The P/R revision was introduced as a result of (perhaps) 4 or 5 problems regarding the element ballooning or blowing and rapidly became the preferred choice. The customers spoke, we listened and the non P/R version is no longer available.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

Jay, I bought one a long time ago without the pressure relief function. In my experience, I only had one oil filter cartridge failure on start-up and it appeared to have been a defective filter. I don't rev the engine on start-up or when it's cold. It's not unusual for me to see 70 - 75 psi on my oil pressure gauge when first starting. It soon settles to 60 or so. Having said that, if the option was there to buy either one today, I would go with the one that has the p/r function. Between the air flow around the full-flow filter and the aluminum oil cooler I am using, my engine never runs hot, even down here in the desert heat in southern Arizona.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Wes, these have been on the market for more than 20 years now. My two remaining engines both have the non P/R and it's never been an issue. This got posted since one of my first customers for this product is completing a rebop after well over 100K miles (no crank grinding there!) and wanted advice.
If you switch to that A102, you could probably warm it up at 5,000RPM and be fine. It doesn't have the capacity of the larger cans, so if you're really putting miles on the car, you probably ought to change it (and maybe the oil) at 5K miles.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz