Another not so good trend

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jon Schmid
356 Fan

Re: Another not so good trend

#46 Post by Jon Schmid »

C J Murray wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:15 am I suggest that everybody that posted on this thread get a 6 month suspension from Talk.
C J Murray wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:02 am I have spent 55 years directly working in the automotive and power sports industry. 38 of those years I have spent as a business owner. Mechanics/technicians are the most difficult positions to fill. Our underperforming educational system is a major factor. Students that would like to be in a hands on profession are demeaned and it is strongly suggested that technical training is for the stupid kids. College is for the smart kids. College is the route to the corporate penthouse, the mansion, and the country club membership. Government encourages you to borrow incredible amounts for a college education with majors in completely worthless subjects. Only a very few receive an education that results in financial reward. The student that wanted a technical education but was brainwashed into going to college is now sitting in a cubicle taking antidepressants. That is the government and the teacher's unions at work.

The mechanics at my dealership are the highest paid employees in the building. There is no shortage of repair work. The work is different than it was when I was a mechanic in the early 1970s but there is every bit as much work available. After all look how many more cars there are today.

Machine shops are somewhat different because modern cars don't often need machine work before they go to the crusher however their market has changed to a more sophisticated type of work that requires greater skill. There is more of that work than there are qualified machinists to do that work. Do you think that educators and government let young people know that fact? "Only the dumb kids become machinists."

Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, HVAC, and other technical trades are not promoted to our young people either. Let the illegal aliens do those menial tasks. Very sad.
Ah, where to start? :P

George Hussey
356 Fan

#47 Post by George Hussey »

the few machine shops left have booming business and are hopelessly backed up, along with the Porsche repair and restoration shops (like us). Many many cars and parts to re machine, no one wants to take on that vocation as the highschools have closed all of the industrial arts programs, the new cars kids have do not need any tinkering, and the kids just do not want a job that takes continued effort to accomplish (there is no coasting being a mechanic)
George Hussey

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#48 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
instead of bemoaning the situation why don't we focus on what can be done for our mutual benefit and not rely on companies that will only help if there is a large profit/benefit for them.
j

John Clarke
356 Fan

#49 Post by John Clarke »

We already support the few vital businesses that there are, helping us to keep our cars on the road where they belong. We really appreciate what you do for us Jacques, but how old are we? We are nearly all on the slippery slope, So its vital that the next generation keeps coming through. And this Is about the 356 !
Just Saying.
Regards Jay

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#50 Post by Steve Proctor »

For years, I had HS kids work with me at the house on Saturday AMs. Plumbing, irrigation, electrical, remodeling, lawn care, tree trimming, washing cars, assisting on auto maintenance, repairs, etc. A few worked with me as long as a year. Most, when they started had no idea what tools were, I had to teach them the nomenclature and how to use them. To a great degree, it is because no shop class, but just as important, 'cause when dad had a project, he didn't know how to do it either and just called someone. So many 20-50 year olds have no technical or mechanical knowledge and could not do so much as replace a $10 toilet valve, 20 minutes max. It will cost them over $100 for that stupid little job. A good plumber or electrician will OWN them.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#51 Post by Jon Schmid »

Steve Proctor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:48 pm For years, I had HS kids work with me at the house on Saturday AMs. Plumbing, irrigation, electrical, remodeling, lawn care, tree trimming, washing cars, assisting on auto maintenance, repairs, etc. A few worked with me as long as a year. Most, when they started had no idea what tools were, I had to teach them the nomenclature and how to use them. To a great degree, it is because no shop class, but just as important, 'cause when dad had a project, he didn't know how to do it either and just called someone. So many 20-50 year olds have no technical or mechanical knowledge and could not do so much as replace a $10 toilet valve, 20 minutes max. It will cost them over $100 for that stupid little job. A good plumber or electrician will OWN them.
Or, you can live where I live and have a permit required to replace a light switch or wall outlet. What a racket... :x

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#52 Post by Jon Schmid »

Jon Schmid wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:03 pm
Steve Proctor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:48 pm For years, I had HS kids work with me at the house on Saturday AMs. Plumbing, irrigation, electrical, remodeling, lawn care, tree trimming, washing cars, assisting on auto maintenance, repairs, etc. A few worked with me as long as a year. Most, when they started had no idea what tools were, I had to teach them the nomenclature and how to use them. To a great degree, it is because no shop class, but just as important, 'cause when dad had a project, he didn't know how to do it either and just called someone. So many 20-50 year olds have no technical or mechanical knowledge and could not do so much as replace a $10 toilet valve, 20 minutes max. It will cost them over $100 for that stupid little job. A good plumber or electrician will OWN them.
Or, you can live where I live and have a permit required to replace a light switch or wall outlet. What a racket... :x
OK, I dug a little deeper and it's not really clear to me what's required. It looks like a replacement is OK but a new one needs permitting, which makes sense. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#53 Post by Martin Benade »

What they don’t know won’t hurt them
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#54 Post by Steve Proctor »

[/quote]

Seriously?? Do you have to wear a disguise when you buy one at home depot so they won't track you down??
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#55 Post by Mike Wilson »

I would guess that every city/county/state has requirements for permits that we aren't aware of, maybe 356 or more? (required 356 content!). Most are probably to insure safe installation or construction and meet codes especially regarding electrical and plumbing.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe