'53 Headlight Switch Wiring

For Pre A discussions and questions
Jack Stenner
356 Fan

'53 Headlight Switch Wiring

#1 Post by Jack Stenner »

Hello,

The headlight switch on my '53 was replaced with a later model unit and I'm replacing it with the correct '53 part. The original wires were cut and push-tips were installed to accommodate the later switch, so I'll need to remove the tips. My question regards how the factory wired the original switches. There are only 3 terminals on the OG switch and, for example, the wiring diagrams show 3 wires converging for terminal 30. Did the factory install ring terminals for each wire and stack them at the appropriate terminal on the switch? Or, did they tie the three wires together and use a single lead with ring terminal at the switch? I know it will work either way, I'd just prefer to mirror OG if possible. Anyone know?

Later switch:
IMG_5989.jpeg
OG switch (4J):
IMG_5997.jpeg
Wiring:
IMG_5996.jpeg
Thanks,
Jack
53 Coupe #51576

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: '53 Headlight Switch Wiring

#2 Post by James Davies »

Hopefully it is clear from these photos of two unrestored cars from March/April 1953.
Attachments
DSCN0812.JPG
PA190979 copy.jpg
PA190977.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

Jack, that’s a nice looking switch you got.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Tue May 30, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#4 Post by Michael Branning »

Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#5 Post by Greg Bryan »

Jack - your switch may be a generic replacement, not that it matters as it will work fine. A little testing with an ohm meter should isolate the 30 terminal - with the key off, it will be the terminal that doesn't have any continuity to the other terminals. Two will have continuity key on or off, but will only get power from the 30 terminal when the key is on.
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Terminal 30 is not switched by the ignition, it’s connected to the battery.
I think that’s just a tie point feeding power to the ignition switch, not the other way around. That connection also feeds the push button starter switch.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Tue May 30, 2023 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jack Stenner
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jack Stenner »

Thanks all!
Those photos really help James; clarifying for me that they used a pair of ring terminals, each, for 58 and 30. They paired the two white/orange power wires to a single ring terminal, while the red wire has its own ring terminal. I was also wondering about the orientation of the switch and hadn't considered mounting it "sideways" like that...makes sense!

Based on the markings on the switch, the terminals are numbered as below:
terminals.jpeg
I have checked continuity, and when the light switch is off, no continuity exists between any terminal. When the switch is pulled to the first detent (halfway), there is continuity between 58 and 30 only. When it's pulled out fully, all terminals are continuous (just like the diagram).

In James' OG photos from two different cars, only one terminal pairs a black wire with a white wire (green in diagram), and that pair is connected to the center terminal (30) on the light switch. The set of 3 power leads (white/orange in the diagram) are connected to terminal 58 instead of 30. In practice 30 and 58 are probably interchangeable since they are continuous at the same time (right?). Anyway, I think I have what I need. I'll check it all out with power, today.
ogwiring3_annotated.jpg
Some extra photos...I'm pretty sure this is OG/correct. 4J is April '53...my car is December.
IMG_5979.jpeg
IMG_5974.jpeg
IMG_5973.jpeg
IMG_5971.jpeg
Thanks for your help!!!!
Jack
53 Coupe #51576

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Bryan »

Jack - you show the Light switch, you said the light switch, but I was thinking Ignition switch.
30 is always hot as stated several times above
56 is the headlights and the wire goes to the dip switch then from there to the hi and lo fuses, 11-12 (56a) and 9-10 (56b) - 58 is active only with the switch all the way out on the second detent
58 is the tail lights and front parking lights. - 58 is active on the first detent and the second detent when pulling the light switch knob out. The first detent is tail/parking lights only and the second detent is tail/parking lights and Headlights.
Yes, in practice, 58 and 30 could be interchanged and the light switch will work the same.
Do you still have a starter button and if so, where is it getting its power? Like most old cars, there's been a lot of opportunity to change things around.
RE the cloth covered wire colors, they're tough to figure out and may not be consistent from '50 to late '53. Tom Birch, who I worked with when making the diagrams, insisted that the wire to ganged fuses 5-6-7 is green but is clearly not green in James' picture and in another picture of Mark Todorovich's (sp) '52.
These wire colors below are very clear and were protected by the loom cover. Exposed wires are usually much less clear what their original color was.
Attachments
wiring_1_1[1].jpg
Greg Bryan

Jack Stenner
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jack Stenner »

All hooked up, looking OG, and working great :-)

Thanks for your help Greg...especially those color wiring diagrams! Indispensable! The colors seem to be a pretty close match with my car. Definitely a lot of fading on the exposed sections.

Yes, my starter button is hooked up to the OG harness (to the ignition switch). Thankfully my harness hasn't been hacked up too much!
53 Coupe #51576

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Bryan »

Excellent, Jack!
Greg Bryan