Dellorto carbs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Dellorto carbs

#31 Post by Greg Bryan »

Speaking of manifolds, what is in the market for Weber, or DellOrto, manifolds? I have an old set of manifolds on my present 1900 motor with Webers that are very thick and clunky - I had to remove the motor to modify the manifolds so a spark plus socket and extension would clear.
What are the preferred Weber manifolds these days?
Greg Bryan

John Clarke
356 Fan

#32 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Greg
Ref 36mm plates. Would they be from a Unimog 4x4. ?
Think they are the source of the
36 NDIX
Regards Jay

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#33 Post by Martin Benade »

I think the Solex manifold to Weber carb adaptor is the preferred route for that type of Webers.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#34 Post by Bruce Smith »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:44 am I think the Solex manifold to Weber carb adaptor is the preferred route for that type of Webers.
Agreed. Webers are best used with Solex manifolds and adapter plates. You can sometimes find adapters at swap meets (or ebay), or Redline and Empi make new ones.
Bruce Smith

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#35 Post by Paul Lima »

I'm pretty sure Pit Schweiger's manifolds fit Weber and Dellorto carbs perfectly. (https://www.jps-aircooled.com/parts/manifolds/)

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#36 Post by Bruce Smith »

Maybe, but it looks like they are for 44IDF. There are plenty of Solex manifolds around that won't cost much. I've got a shelf-load, and you can find them at swaps, etc. New adapters might be $100/pr., but these can be found used for less. Carbs have be swapped in/out of 356 motors for 60 years, so there are lots of used parts out there.
Bruce Smith

John Clarke
356 Fan

#37 Post by John Clarke »

David ( Jones. ) What do You make of all this info / advice. Just my take on it we have run DRLAs for decades on the 356 / 912 Engines and have always used the Solex Manifold adaptor plate for IDF And DRLAs. Like the fit and shape of the Solex Manifolds Used the 'Early' design IDF manifolds once and it entailed cutting and trimming the Tinware to get them to fit. Getting to the.plugs was also difficult ! 🤬
Cheers Jay
Cymru am byth as You would Say

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#38 Post by Bruce Smith »

John Clarke wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:21 am Strange!
How a post ref the Dellorto DRLA
Morphs into a NDIX one 🤔
Just saying.
Jay - Dellorto --> Weber --> Solex --> Zenith, it's all good. Nice to see discussions re. carbs anytime. Cheers.
Bruce Smith

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#39 Post by David Jones »

Jay, about 20 years back I had a set of Weber carbs with the slimmer manifolds that were dialed in on my 1720 cc engine but I decided to go with Solex pii40 carbs instead. I sold the Webers cheaply and I also sold the adapter plates I had for the Solex manifolds. I was musing on the possibility of trying a pair of Dellorto carbs or maybe a pair of Chinese Weber clones for less tha $200 a pair but was not certain of the compatibility of Dells, and Webers with manifolds. Hence my question.
I have heard for years that the Dellorto carbs were some of the best carbs for a 356 and was searching the net for a pair when I came upon the Chinese Weber clones.
The adapters or manifolds could end up costing almost as much as the carbs.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Clarke
356 Fan

#40 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Bruce. I Totally agree.
Cheers Jay

John Clarke
356 Fan

#41 Post by John Clarke »

Paul
Those manifolds are huge and will slow down the incoming charge. Alright if you are running with
2 litres They are for 44mm Carbs
Just a thought.
Jay

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#42 Post by Greg Bryan »

Yeah, the JPS manifolds are beautifully made but appear to be specifically for their billet heads.
Regarding the 44 vs 40 carbs, my machinist who has a flow bench said using the 44 manifolds with 40mm carbs doesn’t seem to make any difference - they do tapper down to where the head intake port.
I think most of the aftermarket manifolds will accommodate both sizes as a simplification of the vendors inventory, and if it doesn’t really matter …
Greg Bryan

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#43 Post by Ron LaDow »

"It’s all good - what is the origin of the 36mm baseplate?"

Actually carb, but you can make a 32 casting work on the 36 throttle base if you're willing to spend some time machining.
Pinzguar: https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... th-ndix-36
The also usually have used ones in stock; much cheaper.
And the 36s are the source for the elastomeric-skirt AP pistons which do not change output as a result of ethanol, but need these to shorten the stroke:
https://precisionmatters.biz/zenith-carb-spiders.php
The 36s were the product of continued development; as an example, the idle mixture screw threads are sealed with a small O-ring at the outer end, eliminating the air leak around the threads.
They also have the venturi (28mm) cast in place. We found some power opening it up to 30mm, and at that size, we found a bit more removing the cross bar.
Fun stuff, if you have access to a dyno. And the CNC'd manifolds.
BTW, our pulls were limited to 5.5KRPM; I have a healthy respect for 3-main, 4-cylinder engines.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#44 Post by David Nicholls »

Both CSP and EMPI, on their websites, advertise Inlet Manifolds, for installing Weber 40IDF’s to 356 engines.
Check their websites, they may be the same product.
No Adapter Plates.
Anyone tried them ?

Regards David

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#45 Post by Brian R Adams »

Bruce Smith wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:25 am
Martin Benade wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:44 am I think the Solex manifold to Weber carb adaptor is the preferred route for that type of Webers.
Agreed. Webers are best used with Solex manifolds and adapter plates. You can sometimes find adapters at swap meets (or ebay), or Redline and Empi make new ones.
But on heads originally hosting Zeniths, will Solex manifolds fit?
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)