Kardex question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Todd Moskowitz
356 Fan

Kardex question

#1 Post by Todd Moskowitz »

My Kardex has a typed Motor No and then it's crossed out and has a handwritten number. The handwritten number does match the COA. Is this correct?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Kardex question

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

. Post the Kardex here and get more information. Also I see it is your first Post. Welcome.
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Yes, it is correct. Not a mistake. The engine was changed in the car sometime between the time the Kardex was originally typed up but before it got to its first owner. This is not uncommon.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

James is correct. My Bad-I read your question wrong. The typed engine number is the engine it would have left the factory with. The handwritten engine is the one it was sold with. Brumos did this frequently as did other dealers. If you go to Registry Home then to Technical section drop down menu and click on Factory numbers down at the lower left area you can find an article from an old Registry Magazine titled "Much Ado About Matching" by Ray Morgan. Interesting read.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

It could also be a dealer warranty replacement. There would be a date, mileage and sometimes a dealer with the new engine number.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jerry Hynes
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jerry Hynes »

My C is like this. COA says matching C motor. Kardex indicates car left the factory as an SC and the C number is the handwritten one. There are other threads mentioning this on the forum. Mine is a Brumos car.
130657 Kardex (1).jpg
Jerry Hynes
1964 356C or is it an SC?
1974 914 Can Am Edition or Bumblebee
1970 914 1.7
1973 914 GT Tribute Vintage Race Car
1972 914 1.7

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Thanks for posting Jerry. My C 130660 has the same completion date as Jerry's, the same color scheme from the factory and also was Brumos Distributor but was sold as factory built

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jules Dielen »

Jerry, your SC engine was changed out with a C at a dealer on 12 may 1965 under warranty. PoAC recorded it.
Jules

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Hard to believe an SC engine would be replaced with a C engine as warranty work. More likely I think is the engine swap paperwork was sent by Brumos to POAC and from there it made it's way to the factory where the swap was documented on the Kardex. Brumos was distributor for the Southeast and original owner was in Los Gatos,Ca

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jules Dielen »

The car sold in september 64. The engine was replaced either March or May 65?
Jules

Jerry Hynes
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jerry Hynes »

Jules Dielen wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:33 pm Jerry, your SC engine was changed out with a C at a dealer on 12 may 1965 under warranty. PoAC recorded it.
The odd thing is the original engine is documented as being in chassis # 219238 in the Registry database. Why would a warranty exchange be made with a C engine and the SC Tach and rear model designation also be changed?
Jerry Hynes
1964 356C or is it an SC?
1974 914 Can Am Edition or Bumblebee
1970 914 1.7
1973 914 GT Tribute Vintage Race Car
1972 914 1.7

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#12 Post by Spencer Harris »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:41 am If you go to Registry Home then to Technical section drop down menu and click on Factory numbers down at the lower left area you can find an article from an old Registry Magazine titled "Much Ado About Matching" by Ray Morgan. Interesting read.
Also in "Factory Numbers" under "Documents that Show Original Numbers" is a fascinating interview with Olaf Lang compiled by Dick Koenig in 2000.

The Factory Records of Carrera and 356 Porsches: A Visit with Olaf Lang, Porsche A.G.
Four Cam Forum, Dick Koenig, Volume 23, Number 6, March/April 2000
“…The Kardex was used by the Service / Warranty Department. Very early in the history of Porsche there was a gentleman named Mr. Gieseke. He was in charge of all warranty claims, working directly for Mr. Hans Klauser, our Service Manager. It was decided that a bookkeeping system had to be established to keep track of how warranty work was performed on the cars. That was the main reason these cards were developed. This information was hand written at first and later typed. Over time, the number of categories was changed to include spaces for a replacement engine or transmission. This fact alone indicates that these cards were intended for service and warranty purposes, and nothing else. When a claim was sent here to the Service Department, it was processed and noted on the card. Usually, these notes were hand-written. Today, the Kardex cards are still kept by the Service Department. They have the service records from the beginning until now. The Kardex cards started in 1950 and went until 1970, including 911s and 912s. They were all on Kardex cards…”
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#13 Post by Mike Smith »

Just for information

Note the Spelling ----- it is Kardex not Kartex (as sometimes quoted)

Kardex has been the name or part of the name of companies tracing back to Rand Ledger founded in 1898, which were closely associated with the development of the index card as a common business data storage device, and which were also associated with the entities that eventually became part of Unisys.

Kardex as a company name was introduced in 1915, subsumed in 1927 (it remained as a brand name and a division name), and revived in 1977.

It is currently borne by the Kardex Group, based in Zurich, Switzerland, which makes filing system components as well as many other products for handling materials and information, mostly in physical form.
Kardex has also become a generic trademark within the health services of the United Kingdom and Ireland to refer to a medication administration record.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia
Attachments
Kardex Cabinet .jpg
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#14 Post by Mike Smith »

Kardex has been the name or part of the name of companies tracing back to Rand Ledger founded in 1898, which were closely associated with the development of the index card as a common business data storage device, and which were also associated with the entities that eventually became part of Unisys.
Kardex as a company name was introduced in 1915, subsumed in 1927 (it remained as a brand name and a division name), and revived in 1977.
It is currently borne by the Kardex Group, based in Zurich, Switzerland, which makes filing system components as well as many other products for handling materials and information, mostly in physical form.
Kardex has also become a generic trademark within the health services of the United Kingdom and Ireland to refer to a medication administration record.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia
Attachments
Kardex Cabinet .jpg
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)