Dellorto carbs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: Dellorto carbs

#16 Post by Neil Bardsley »

The feedback from type 4 crowd is dels are better than webers

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#17 Post by DonCichocki »

+1 Dellorto over Weber. No Zenith experience.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#18 Post by Bruce Smith »

Ron LaDow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:41 am "I had 36's on my previous engine but wanting a correct appearance, went with Solexes. The Dells were easier to dial in."

Alan Klingen was a fan of 36mm Dels on ~1600 and 1720 engines; dyno'd well.
It is only my opinion that the factory offered 40mm carbs for homologation purposes, but found a market for them and continued to flog them.
36mm Zeniths work wonderfully on 1720 engines with good manifolds and that's the hard part.
I agree Ron. S-spec Zeniths with ported manifolds are certainly a good match for 'big bore' with a C/912 cam, and factory jet specs. are the best starting (or ending) point. I've got experience with Dellortos on just one engine, and was very happy with them. I only swapped them to Zeniths for originality. Also, parts and jets for Zeniths are plentiful. Not so much for Dells.
Bruce Smith

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've found Dellorto parts from CB Performance.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#20 Post by Jay Broemmel »

+5 on great running, trouble free Dellortos. Alan at the Stable talked me into them and once they were dialed in, I haven’t had any problems. J

John Clarke
356 Fan

#21 Post by John Clarke »

Hi David Hope you are keeping well.
Dell's ! Are these for you ? They are the Best. But JIMHO. We now have the 912 engine at 1720. And are running with the Dellorto 40 DRLAs
One good upgrade is the raised Idle Jet Conversion / 'Jet Doctor'(Think they were from CB) These help avoid the plugged Idle Jet problem in their original position (flush in the top of carb).We also have the Spray Bars installed with 34mm Vents. I have Jet settings for various applications back in the UK, but are currently in Spain. Also used the 36 DRLAs which were very good low down. Haven't had any issues with Ethanol, which is surprising, with the many Rubber O Rings used in these carbs. When Dialled in, they have a very Stable idle. Transition is Smooth with No Flat Spots. Each to their own, but I would never go back to the IDF Weber. Ran with both the Zenith NDIX and the Solex 40 P11. Never entirely happy with all these.
I would however like to try my late pair of 40 P11 Solex with a Solid Shaft Conversion with the 1720cc.
Cheers Jay

John Clarke
356 Fan

#22 Post by John Clarke »

Nearly Forgot.
Any Issues with the Spares Situation for the Dellorto DRLAs can normally all be found from Matt Cooper who runs Eurocarb over here in the UK. He was there right at the beginning with Contact Developments the Sole UK importer of Dellorto Carbs and Spares, back in the day. He has continued the good work. There hasn't been a part that I haven't been able to source.
Regards Jay

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#23 Post by Greg Bryan »

These are the Dells set up on VW manifolds. They are very well made and nice details.
I tried them on another VW motor I built but the jetting was off so I didn't use them yet. Weber jets and parts are very easy to find and relatively cheap. Not so much for the DellOrtos.
These have very little use on them.
Attachments
Dell DRLA 40.jpg
Greg Bryan

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#24 Post by Brian R Adams »

Bruce Smith wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:47 am
Ron LaDow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:41 am 36mm Zeniths work wonderfully on 1720 engines with good manifolds and that's the hard part.
I agree Ron. S-spec Zeniths with ported manifolds are certainly a good match for 'big bore' with a C/912 cam, and factory jet specs. are the best starting (or ending) point.
Is there an article somewhere about "ported manifolds" for Zeniths?
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#25 Post by Greg Bryan »

Aren’t the C Zenith manifold runners larger to go with the larger c head intake ports?
Greg Bryan

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#26 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
since Al isn't posting maybe digital fuel injection is the answer since carbs have no support and they come out of China now.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#27 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Greg
C manifolds match the larger port.
j

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#28 Post by Ron LaDow »

"Is there an article somewhere about "ported manifolds" for Zeniths?"
Not for 36s to my knowledge; hand porting 4ea 5'-long passages and expecting anything like consistency it a step beyond hubris IMO.
A local shop had an optical comparator which they allowed me to use (and two full days to dimension the ports at ~3mm stations). And then it took 5-axis CNC to deliver manifolds for 36mm carbs - here's the port casts:
36mm cast.JPG
36mm on the left. The head end was not altered from the 'bulged' end of the stock piece (matching the head); the remainder started at 36mm (centered on the carb bores) and maintained a consistent taper to the head D.
Would have sworn I had images comparing both ends of the stock and CNC'd 36 manifolds, but can't locate them right now.
(Added by edit)
32mm vs 36mm throttle bodies:
32-36TB-6.JPG
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Clarke
356 Fan

#29 Post by John Clarke »

Strange!
How a post ref the Dellorto DRLA
Morphs into a NDIX one 🤔
Just saying.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#30 Post by Greg Bryan »

It’s all good - what is the origin of the 36mm baseplate?
Greg Bryan