Carrera oil filter - adaptor for spin on filter

Discussion of 4-Cam Type 547 engines (and all the Fuhrmann racing variants) and cars that powered them.
Scott Schneider
356 Fan

Re: Carrera oil filter - adaptor for spin on filter

#46 Post by Scott Schneider »

Bill,

Can you please put me down for two sets of oil filter adapters. Thank you.

Scott Schneider

Gerd Welsch
356 Fan

#47 Post by Gerd Welsch »

Hi Bill,
pls put me on your list for 2 sets of the filter adapters

br
Gerd Welsch

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#48 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
Klasse 356 is stocking Bill Sargent's adapters $52.50
If Bill will give a code to customers he agreed to send ones to, Klasse will honor his price commitment for 1 unit per personal engine. Klasse is set up to only accept USA credit cards on the web site https://klasse356.com/catalog/showItems ... tegory=FCI it is item FCI8.0 the valve cover gasket set items 1.0+1.1 only 3 each are available at the special price again limit one per customer. When they are gone the price will be $200.00 each still a good deal compare at $400.
j

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#49 Post by Bill Sargent »

To all who purchased a set of the 356 Carrera Mahle filter adapters from Jacques, he should ship a copy of the instructions with them. In the event that you somehow receive the adapters, but not the instructions, a copy of the instructions is included in the PDF file attached to this post.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Bill Sargent
356 Fan

#50 Post by Bill Sargent »

This post is to everyone that indicated they wished to purchase the oil filter adapters.

Based on your posts in this thread, approximately 30 adapter sets were requested for purchase. Rainer Cooney, who produced the original design, requested that they be made in the US. My normal CNC machining source manufactures outside the US so I worked with Jacques LeFriant to have the parts made in the US - National City, CA in fact. After the parts were complete, I emailed each of the parties that had indicated they wished to purchase the adapters that they were ready and included a link to Jacques' website, Klasse 356, where the parts could be purchased. The cost to Jacques to have the parts made in the US was higher than the $40/set I had estimated (for non-US manufacture) and posted in this thread. Jacques chose to honor the estimated price I had posted for the first adapter set purchased and then charge his cost for any additional sets. I have no financial stake in the adapter production and my CAD time was done at no cost as a service to the 4-cam community.

To date less than 10 of the adapter sets have been purchased. Could I please ask that those who indicated that they would purchase adapter sets please consider doing so? When vendors like Rainer and Jacques do a service to the 4 cam community, I think we need to support them.

Best regards,

Bill Sargent
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#51 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I have received the filter parts from Bill and they are beautiful. However, I was shocked to see the tiny filter element that Rainer/Bill are using. I can now see why Chuck Forge adapted the Fram PH4 Corvair filter. (Which I have been using low these thirty years.) I'm glad I now have the original looking parts and they will go with the car. But should I need another filter, since the Fram PH4 is NLA, I will make the title of this thread accurate by adapting a modern spin-on filter. I actually did this years ago on my Coventry Climax engine. The spin on nipple is available from Summit Racing, I use a Fram HP10 racing spin on filter which I think is over kill. For a Carrera I would choose a shorter, about the length of the PH4, spin on.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#52 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Harlan
i can supply the Corvair filter in a Baldwin(B-4). Baldwin has a better reputation than Fran for quality so i have been told.
j

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#53 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Jacques,
I have only one filter top, currently adopted for the PH4. I can use the new parts with this top I think. But when I need a second top, I will probably machine it. Not too hard to do. Then I might as well make the new top for a spin-on filter. It would be even easier to do a spin-on top than a PH4 top. But thank you for the offer of a PH4 substitute.
BTW When choosing a spin-on filter I intend to cut the candidate apart and measure the filter element area. I will also destroy one of my Rainer/Sargent filters and compare its area. Ibrihim Kudzu has suggested a spin-on filter, one he is using.

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#54 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

The only one I remember was made by jim Wellington of Rennsport works and used I believe A Corvair Spin-on filter I don't know where you can get one now maybe some one has a dusty one in their stash. Alan The Stable.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#55 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Alan Klingen 2 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:49 pm The only one I remember was made by jim Wellington of Rennsport works and used I believe A Corvair Spin-on filter I don't know where you can get one now maybe some one has a dusty one in their stash. Alan The Stable.
You are a little late to this party, Alan.
About 1964, Chuck Forge adapted the Fram PH4 (Corvair) filter to the Carrera filter housing top. The design was picked up by Jim Wellington and made its way to a number of Carreras. Forges idea is currently marketed in Europe. Bill Sargent, a stickler for originality, needed a filter and decided to reproduce the original and offer it to the Carrera community at cost. Bill discovered that, as usual, Rainer Cooney had already adapted a modern filter element to the Carrera housing. So, Bill offered his reproduction set up for Rainers filter. Today you can get the Bill Sargent replica bottom from Jacques, or you can get the Forge PH4 modified top from Europe. (Or you can machine your own top and using a Summit Racing filter tube, use any modern spin on filter you choose. Paint the filter silver and no one will notice!)

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#56 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

There once an adapter made bt the now infamous Jim Wellington of Rennsport WERKE. THAT Used a convair spin on filter. I wish some one could make them again there were a simple alloy ring that allowed the filter to replace the stock gravel strainer on the 4 cams. Alan The Stable.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#57 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#58 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I wonder when someone will reproduce the filter top as Bob Garretson did, and make compete filter assemblies available? Bill Sargent has done the hard part.

Bill Sargent
356 Fan

#59 Post by Bill Sargent »

Hi Harlan - actually the hard part is the oil filter top - if it is sand cast and machined per original. The costs to make the mold, cast and machine plus source the parts for the pressure relief are prohibitive for the anticipated future sales.

Making them totally CNC would be relatively easy and cost effective, but the part no longer looks original.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#60 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
if there is a true demand is for the top i would have to 20 orders prepaid before i would do it, i am sitting on more than 20 of the Rainer conversion that was supposedly needed.
the $40 offer is no longer available. the new price is $52. https://klasse356.com/catalog/showItems ... tegory=FCI
j